Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:19:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

I've just realized that whenever they were saying 'Roy Hodgson' I was picturing Harry Redknapp for some reason.

I've literally just remembered who and what Roy Hodgson actually is.

DrGreggles

I didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but Andy Dawson's other football podcast - Top Flight Time Machine - contained a very good story indeed on Friday's episode.
It was the one called 'Christmas Subbuteo Carnage'.

Dannyhood91

"I got a vasectomy because I didn't want any kids but when I got home they were still there"

Replies From View

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on December 05, 2018, 12:52:57 PM
"I got a vasectomy because I didn't want any kids but when I got home they were still there"

This is in the second episode of Big Night Out.

bgmnts

Sorry lads that Warhammer stuff is fucking grim. As is the guru.

gmoney

Thought it was good last week, but as with a lot of Andy's stuff, he can't make it work a second time. I look forward to hearing it every episode for months now. Guru was always shit, same as Dominic Littlewood.

Quote from: gmoney on December 07, 2018, 06:27:04 PM
Guru was always shit, same as Dominic Littlewood.

I don't mind the guru. At the very least it doesn't burst your eardrums like every other Dawson character, which substitute shrieking for comedy.

Twed

All of Dawson's comedy comes from hate, and is bad. Bob's comedy is affectionate ribbing.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

In terms of puzzling out why something's funny, I found it genuinely interesting that, even with Bob's coaching, Dawson couldn't get the right intonation with the, "I could'a nicked it... But I didn't," catchphrase.

SteveDave

The Peter Beardsley jokes made me guffaw in the street on my way home tonight. I disturbed a young lady being violently sick. The one with the baby.

Blinder Data

Quote from: bgmnts on December 07, 2018, 06:19:03 PM
Sorry lads that Warhammer stuff is fucking grim. As is the guru.

Grim as in bad or something darker? I thought it was better than Andy's usual stuff, not on par with anything Bob does obvs

non capisco

Quote from: SteveDave on December 08, 2018, 04:17:03 AM
The Peter Beardsley jokes made me guffaw in the street on my way home tonight. I disturbed a young lady being violently sick. The one with the baby.

Andy's suppressed mirth meltdown during this week's Beardsley section had me going as well. Plus 'those dozy haircuts you give me' and 'Aye, you do look like an Albanian cobbler.' The start with Beardsley musing on finding beauty in the mundane and seeing his young hopeful reflection again reinstated the faux-pathos that were in his first few appearances which Bob then seemed to forget about. Great stuff.

bgmnts

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 08, 2018, 12:28:47 PM
Grim as in bad or something darker? I thought it was better than Andy's usual stuff, not on par with anything Bob does obvs

Grim as in bad. I don't know why but even by his standards it was crap.

non capisco

As long as he's not still doing his inaudible 'songs', they really were the worst.

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on December 07, 2018, 07:25:39 PM
All of Dawson's comedy comes from hate, and is bad. Bob's comedy is affectionate ribbing.

Very well-put.

The stuff from Mince that stands out is when Bob is actually angry about something because it is so unexpected (and that much more memorable for it).

Gangs of the EPL with the interim Boro manager ("can you help me tie my shoelaces lads? Because I haven't got a FUCKING CLUE"), and the British Managers stuff. Even then, it is so effectively couched in affectionate whimsy it kind of subtly sneaks by. That isn't something you could accuse Andy of doing.

PlanktonSideburns

Another quality of bobs is that it's not immediately obvious where bob stands on a subject, if he's even thought about where he stands on things, where as with Andy it's always didactic, man giving sermon at the bar, there's no sense of play. Bob said something about not liking opinions very much on Adam Buxton's show, and I think it's that quality that raises bob above whimsy for me: he is able to sit with a character like Barry homeowner for a while and explore his hidden depths, he has a curiosity to his humor that makes even an estate agent character interesting. Andy would make Barry a cunt and a catchphrase and run it instantly into the ground

Dog dirt.

ColinPopshed

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on December 08, 2018, 07:27:11 PM
Another quality of bobs is that it's not immediately obvious where bob stands on a subject, if he's even thought about where he stands on things, where as with Andy it's always didactic, man giving sermon at the bar, there's no sense of play. Bob said something about not liking opinions very much on Adam Buxton's show, and I think it's that quality that raises bob above whimsy for me: he is able to sit with a character like Barry homeowner for a while and explore his hidden depths, he has a curiosity to his humor that makes even an estate agent character interesting. Andy would make Barry a cunt and a catchphrase and run it instantly into the ground

Dog dirt.
Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 08, 2018, 07:04:07 PM
Very well-put.

The stuff from Mince that stands out is when Bob is actually angry about something because it is so unexpected (and that much more memorable for it).

Gangs of the EPL with the interim Boro manager ("can you help me tie my shoelaces lads? Because I haven't got a FUCKING CLUE"), and the British Managers stuff. Even then, it is so effectively couched in affectionate whimsy it kind of subtly sneaks by. That isn't something you could accuse Andy of doing.

So very well put. When I'm skipping through Littlewood, or his songs, or guru etc, I just think well at least he was responsible for getting Bob to do these in the first place, and that's probably enough.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I don't care what y'all say, the Warhammer stuff makes me laugh. It's not aggressive or cynical, it's just a bit of daft whimsy. I also like the fact that Andy, presumably anyway, must have to read up on the minutiae of Warhammer before writing those sketches. That's quite funny in itself.

gmoney

I just assumed he was into it. He is a comic book kid after all.

PlanktonSideburns

yea the warhammr thing is bloody funny ill grant that

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: gmoney on December 08, 2018, 09:21:37 PM
I just assumed he was into it. He is a comic book kid after all.

Is he? I did not know that.

gmoney

Ah, that was just something Bob took the piss out of him for in an early episode because he said he'd read a comic once.

Calistan

Is the Athletico Mince book worth a purchase? Considering getting it for my dad but he hasn't heard the podcast so maybe I should just get it for myself.

Enzo

Quote from: Calistan on December 10, 2018, 09:11:19 PM
Is the Athletico Mince book worth a purchase? Considering getting it for my dad but he hasn't heard the podcast so maybe I should just get it for myself.

It's not worth it.

Blinder Data

The Beardsleys' relationship is truly a wondrous, dark and moving thing. The missus asking Pete to stand behind the sofa as respite from the bullying caused my heart to flutter.

Ferris

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 12, 2018, 11:22:49 AM
The Beardsleys' relationship is truly a wondrous, dark and moving thing. The missus asking Pete to stand behind the sofa as respite from the bullying caused my heart to flutter.

I like all the egg recipes that are slowly expanded upon. "5-egg scrambler" being my current favourite, though the "poachie-tower" is a strong second for me.

gmoney

Jesus, the first time he did that was amazing. Such joy.

The Roofdog

Make sure the nog is very fookin viscous