Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:36:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jittlebags

Aye. Max 3 outings for Meat Feast I think. Peetah's probably run it's course now that he's having to team up with Mark "Belinda Wipe" Lawrenson. Which reminds me, Bob mentioned having a good old stare on Desert Island yesterday.

phantom_power

Nah I thought this eps Peter story was one of the best. He could go on forever. Less shit Andy input and more Gangs of the EPL though please

spanky

I hope Steve McLaren makes a comeback once he's completed his destroy and exit at QPR.

kidsick5000

"I've got the pre-meat sweats and me knickers are taking the brunt"
"You could power a tractor with the after-tod"

Twed

Yeah, I actually like this second round of it more.

I think it could end there though.

the

FYI a new Mince is out, I shall listen to it at my leisure later.

Meanwhile, something I've particularly enjoyed over the past few episodes is Bob's increasingly demented naming convention for his quizzes.

It went from:

Bog, Fen, Swamp or Marsh?

to:

Hardwood, Oink, Boing, Laminate, (honk!), Oink, Carpet, (honk!), Boing, Parp, Oink, Tile?

and in between those points:

Gravel, Concrete, Paving, Tarmac, Oink, Oink, Parp, Wink, Splat, Kappa, Windpipe, Oink, (click), (click), (click), (click), (click), (click), Paste?

Ferris

Bob does a good clown car "honk" noise eh? Not your obvious *HONK*, but with reduced attack on the mid-range and correctly enunciating the 2 syllables, which suggests he's heard a few in his time.

the

No love for the most recent honktastic episode? A few welcome returns in this one.

I cherish Barry Homeowner, I think he's a perfect bit of social satire for the present era.

Bob has developed this into such a perfect encapsulation of this acreage of insufferable twat. The sort of person who thinks that the products that they've gone out and bought define them (neatly sidestepping the need for a personality), and lists them in conversation as if namedropping celebrities. And because they're so self-absorbed, of course, everyone around them values such things as much as they do right? And is probably a bit jealous yeah?

They think of theirself as a desirable corporation, and you can never have a functional conversation with them like two normal human beings, because every word they speak is an advert for the corporation. They're transparently full of neuroses and self-doubt, but their arseholes are clenched so tightly that they can never be emotionally plain and honest with you.

It's a precision bit of work, and Bob homes in on every crumb of risible twattery. But it's so entertaining because it's not just an attack, it's full of brilliant sparkling Bob flourishes.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: the on March 03, 2019, 11:59:21 AM
No love for the most recent honktastic episode? A few welcome returns in this one.

I cherish Barry Homeowner, I think he's a perfect bit of social satire for the present era.

Bob has developed this into such a perfect encapsulation of this acreage of insufferable twat. The sort of person who thinks that the products that they've gone out and bought define them (neatly sidestepping the need for a personality), and lists them in conversation as if namedropping celebrities. And because they're so self-absorbed, of course, everyone around them values such things as much as they do right? And is probably a bit jealous yeah?

They think of theirself as a desirable corporation, and you can never have a functional conversation with them like two normal human beings, because every word they speak is an advert for the corporation. They're transparently full of neuroses and self-doubt, but their arseholes are clenched so tightly that they can never be emotionally plain and honest with you.

It's a precision bit of work, and Bob homes in on every crumb of risible twattery. But it's so entertaining because it's not just an attack, it's full of brilliant sparkling Bob flourishes.

good talk

I think also - ive a few mates like this, and what bob captures nicely is that they're not bad people, they just have an enormous wall of STUFF out in front of them - theyre not dead behind the eyes narcissists, corporate zombies or psychopaths, they just have a weird over-obsession with products, linkedin style job obsession and self help book speak, - bob lays that all out but dosent make a villain or a demon of barry, hes just a nice guy with a very weird, very common modern affliction

the

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 03, 2019, 12:05:24 PMI think also - ive a few mates like this, and what bob captures nicely is that they're not bad people, they just have an enormous wall of STUFF out in front of them - theyre not dead behind the eyes narcissists, corporate zombies or psychopaths, they just have a weird over-obsession with products, linkedin style job obsession and self help book speak, - bob lays that all out but dosent make a villain or a demon of barry, hes just a nice guy with a very weird, very common modern affliction

That's a decent summation.

Bob clearly loves the character (as do I), whether Bob believes that he's a nice guy really or is more cynical towards his ilk, I'm not sure. I want to believe it's the latter, but I'm just biased because I'm a little less charitable towards them. :)

The fact that Barry's a letting agent may say something about whether he's intended to be considered sympathetically...

The dichotomy in these people is that, while every word they say to you screams "please like me", they push you away and make themselves unrelatable. Because they haven't got the balls/confidence/belief to abandon the presentation and relax into simple human relation.

So they wallow in that value system but fatally believe that everyone else subscribes to it too. I think it is narcissism.

DrGreggles

Cuellar

SteveDave

The stealth SA story was lovely.

I think I could listen to Peter Beardsley tell jokes forever.

All three this week had me howling in the street at 4:30am.

phantom_power

Is the Economist worth a read? They seem to be advertising on a lot of podcasts I listen to so I may be in their demographic

Wet Blanket

Quote from: phantom_power on March 11, 2019, 02:25:33 PM
Is the Economist worth a read? They seem to be advertising on a lot of podcasts I listen to so I may be in their demographic

The ads are all at pains to reassure you that it's not a dreary magazine mainly concerned with business and economics, but I had a flick through in WH Smiths and it seemed to be a dreary magazine mainly concerned with business and economics.

Twed

Grim material, but there is a lot of comedy value in reading the quotes in Bob's version of his voice and slipping in a few "like"s:

https://talksport.com/football/506217/newcastle-under-23s-peter-beardsley/

Cuellar

Oh, so there really was some problem with the 'foreign lads'?!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I can't imagine Bob wanting to carry on with his sympathetic sad-sack version of Beardsley if the actual Beardsley has been outed as a racist.

non capisco

Quote from: SteveDave on March 11, 2019, 01:23:42 PM

Hehe, I was just feeling smug that I clocked it as one instantly.

Cuellar

I love the ones that sneak up on you. The one that started out as an anecdote about him and Paul doing their fishing show and being asked for a permit had me in stitches. The 'warden' throwing something at Bob's head, Bob saying

"Ow, mate, that was really tart"
"...You're a fucking tart"

the

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 11, 2019, 04:27:15 PMI can't imagine Bob wanting to carry on with his sympathetic sad-sack version of Beardsley if the actual Beardsley has been outed as a racist.

This was always meant to be in question though surely - hence Beardsley's suspicion of the Albanian bloke next door.

Quote from: non capisco on March 11, 2019, 08:15:54 PMHehe, I was just feeling smug that I clocked it as one instantly.

I suspected the SA story thanks to someone who blurted out 'South Africa story!!!' minutes after the episode dropped, without bothering to put it as a spoiler.

Captain Z

Really smiled at Andy's 'oh god it's a thing'.

bgmnts

Quote from: SteveDave on March 11, 2019, 01:23:42 PM

I think I could listen to Peter Beardsley tell jokes forever.

All three this week had me howling in the street at 4:30am.

Yeah just wanted to reiterate the South Africa stuff was beautiful.

Bob Mortimer and Nick Mullen are the only two people right now who make me laugh really fucking hard.

What a strange world.

Jittlebags

New Episode!!

'Princess The Mouse'

Thomas

I've maximum indifference to football, but I absolutely adore this podcast. I'm glad I gave it a go rather than assuming it was just for football fans. All caught up now, but for today's brand new episode.

So many highlights, but I love Barry Homeowner, for all the reasons elaborated above by the. I recommended the podcast to a friend, and now it's impossible to say 'oh, yeah' in conversation without a loud repetition. It's illuminated to me just how often we use that phrase. Ohhhhh, yeah.

One thing that made me laugh at a dangerous volume in public was McLaren's hair island song, concluding with 'for the many, not the few'.

Jittlebags

Fucking hell. Peter Beardsley meeting his missus.

Quote from: Jittlebags on March 22, 2019, 05:19:06 PM

I was just straight out laughing out loud as I walked down the street listening to this, people must've been thinking I'd lost my mind.

"Where in the fookin' name of everything that lives on Planet Fook have you been ya spooky little fookin' clown?!"

DrGreggles

Quote from: Jittlebags on March 22, 2019, 05:19:06 PM

Might be the greatest thing I've ever heard.

gmoney

It was like a perfect Viz strip come to life and beautifully performed. I was glowing listening to it.