Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:02:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoesNotFollow

Was reading Frankenstein the other night and am at the bit where our man has exiled himself to a remote Scottish island. Got to this bit just after he's had a visit from his creature:

"...and I still sat on the shore, satisfying my appetite, which had become ravenous, with an oaten cake..."

The atmosphere of misery and dread totally ruined by Bob Mortimer's 'Scottish story' voice intruding on the narration in my head. "His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath: his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriences only formed a more horrid contrast with a bountiful surplus of of tit, that should be my final undoing"

Captain Z

Spotted in the comments under BBC article on Steve McLaren getting sacked:

Quote#destroyandexit

QuoteAre Carpet Tick hiring?

QuoteWhat will Caspar do now?

kidney

A very full satchel of fucks to you sir.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: Captain Z on April 01, 2019, 02:00:41 PM
Spotted in the comments under BBC article on Steve McLaren getting sacked:

And what will Casper do now? he was taking notes from the sideline and writing them down.

I think he could be as good as a manager as McLaren was

DrGreggles

The McLaren stuff in the new episode is fucking amazing!

kidney

Not the strongest episode but the McClaren stuff was magnifique, as is Bob's pure glee at having a working raygun once again.

non capisco

Gangs Of The EPL and Steve McLaren were both flat out sublime, Mince at its very best. I was delighted both Casper's vomiting motif and that song returned for the McLaren sketch. "That's right, Casper, do your dance!" To counter that with a moan I really wish they'd ditch that utterly dire "I've imprisoned Bananarama" bit, second only to Andy's badly recorded songs as the podcast's worst ever segment.  Also, a shame the "have you been watching much TV, Andrew?" section was suspiciously curtailed before either gave their opinions about the new Gervais programme after Bob brought it up.

Captain Z

That one was right up my street, I re-visit Benpics' animation of the original Steve McClaren song once every couple of weeks so was overjoyed to hear a reprise. Plus new GOTEPL, and I'm kind of glad they dropped that Meat Feast thing that I never really got into.

Been fairly indifferent to this for a while, but thought the McClaren section and EPL was a return to form. The only thing that's had me chuckling other than Beardsley has been the meat stuff recently.

Blinder Data

Quote from: non capisco on April 06, 2019, 05:02:12 PM
Gangs Of The EPL and Steve McLaren were both flat out sublime, Mince at its very best. I was delighted both Casper's vomiting motif and that song returned for the McLaren sketch. "That's right, Casper, do your dance!" To counter that with a moan I really wish they'd ditch that utterly dire "I've imprisoned Bananarama" bit, second only to Andy's badly recorded songs as the podcast's worst ever segment.  Also, a shame the "have you been watching much TV, Andrew?" section was suspiciously curtailed before either gave their opinions about the new Gervais programme after Bob brought it up.

I reckon they edited it out so they're seen to be slagging off other comedians. Bob liked Gervais' stand-up special so I bet he liked it, but I can see Andy going on a rant.

phantom_power

The Paul Scholes bit was fucking guff. Another Andy section?

SteveDave

I work with a man who has a hair island and I want to scream it at him every time he walks passed my desk. I don't though.

Wet Blanket

They're introducing a subscriber model with an 'exclusive' mini podcast:

QuoteWhat the hell is Athletico Parsnips?

We're not totally sure yet but it'll be different to Mince. We'll start off by answering listeners' queries and problems – so if you have a query or problem, submit it to us via the message bit ONLY on the Patreon page. Queries directed at the characters from Mince are welcomed and will be considered.

https://athleticomince.com/parsnips/

DrGreggles

All past episodes are available ad-free too.

gmoney

Will they have Andy free ones as well?

Enzo

I've signed up. Only fair recompense for the constant joy the podcast gives me.

Ferris

Quote from: gmoney on April 11, 2019, 03:10:21 PM
Will they have Andy free ones as well?

I'd subscribe to this.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I know we've all gone round and round on this, but Athletico Mince wouldn't work if it was just Bob rambling to himself. He needs someone to bounce off. Yes, I know, the stock response to that is "I wish he had someone better to bounce off", but the fact remains that Bob and Andy obviously enjoy each other's company, they have a nice rapport, and they've produced hours of very funny comedy.*

* Cue: "Apart from Andy's bits." I don't agree with that anyway, for what it's worth. He's not in the same league as Bob and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that. Very few people are in Bob's league. Nevertheless, I think he's a naturally funny bloke who we should thank for bringing this podcast to fruition in the first place. He's a good lad.

That probably sounds like a load of "Hey guys, why can't we all just chill out?" wank, but I'm bored so I'll post it anyway.

PlanktonSideburns

You're a good lad, Andy.

I like Andy when they're just chatting, he's good in that context. His scripted bits just aren't funny though, even Bob hardly ever laughs during them.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

A lot of it is probably down to Bob's deliver and execution of stuff being miles better. this is probably one for the 'small moments in comedy' thread but I love Bob intentionally getting people's names slightly wrong (Bear Gryllis, Raheed Sterling, Wade Roodey etc) even though I can imagine it as something Andy would easily render unfunny by fucking it up / over repeating it or robbing it of any subtlety etc.

I think he has the occasional good comedic idea or phrase, but he's just appalling at delivering and executing them. The original Lenny Biscuits was a decently funny concept, before it all went longform and shit and packaged with that unbearable voice.

Only got into this podcast about a month ago but it's easily my favourite thing now. I love it. Did inadvertently convince my work colleagues that I'm a bit odd by giggling to myself while tucking into a lovely lumpy chicken wrap the other day.

Bob is obviously far better at executing his ideas, but I still think they'd be very funny on paper. Andy's wouldn't be. Andy also cracks up when reading lines written by Bob, and I'm not sure that's ever happened the other way round. Bob reading Andy's lines always sounds a bit like a dad helping his son to learn his lines for a school play. A genuine attempt to get into it, but a dull result and no belief in it actually being any good

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I don't remember any bits with Bob reading Andy's lines - am I just being thick or have I not got to that part yet? (on ep 62, round the time of World Cup Gangs of the EPL)

Maybe it doesn't happen as much as I may have suggested, but I imagined he is reading lines on the Warhammer bits (they haven't started yet at 62), and he's probably just playing along on other Andy bits like the guru. But all of it has much the same effect - Bob playing along but never really seeming very entertained.

To be fair to Andy I actually quite like his Corbyn and the "ask me" bit, though it's more a sort of wry amusement than something that actually makes me laugh like Bob does every time

DrGreggles

I think the War Hammer stuff is decent enough, and the Guru has its moments.

I know it's written by Bob, but Andy's brilliant playing the waiter at Adrian Lewis' slaughterhouse restaurant.  Really makes me laugh.

Hey, Punk!

Even Bob's shiny white teeth are funny, just because they're on him (Not really relevant to the podcast due to it being a visual thing, but it is true).

rasta-spouse

I wonder if Bob has accepted that free offer of a hair transplant from the clinic.

DrGreggles

Danielle Ward currently trying to get Bob on to DTRT via Twitter.