Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:46:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just realise all I've done there is basically repeat exactly what a number of posts above me have said.

Fuck it.

New page fuck it an all.

That Peter Beardsley monologue at the end of this week's episode destroyed me. Absolutely fucking brilliant.  God, I love Bob Mortimer. 

dr beat

'Wears a waistcoat with ducks on it'.

Bob's Dara O Briain impersonation is a thing of genius.

Jittlebags

Yes, latest episode was brilliant, despite Bob sounding like a Dalek.

Feel the fewocious heat.

Ron Superior

Genuinely felt a bit emotional at this:
https://youtu.be/uBMMH8G6nTY

QuoteSo these days a lot of people didn't remember me so well, like, but for example, for the last five years I've been going the bus depot most days. It's very colourful up there: there's lots of banter between the crew and the mechanics and the lasses in the office. I'll sit on the low wall like, outside and I can hear most of what's going on through the big double doors. It keeps me company while I eat me chicken wrap. But faces have changed now. Most of the guys my age have moved on really. Sometimes when they see me, they shut the door rather than invite me in. Years ago they used to let me heat me chicken wrap up in the microwave but that's stopped now. I mean, it's OK cold. I do me weekly shop down at the Asda: sliced white, baked beans, margarine, ambrosia cream rice, evaporated milk, bunch of bananas, tinned ham for a sandwich, like, eggs for hard-boiled egg, rich tea biscuits, some ice cream for the weekend – mmmm. Then I just grab a load of ready meals. The wife doesn't like to cook these days since, you know, she rejected Jesus. I wake up early nearly every day and go downstairs and watch some of the TV shows I used to watch with my boy when he was a young'un. I've noticed I pick my nails quite a lot these days. The down-pipe on me shed's leaking at one of the joints. I got a new sofa the other day. Corduroy material in grey. The wife has took the corner facing the TV so I generally just sit on a little stool that me boy used when he had his supper, in front of the telly, you know. I go down me local most nights. The bar that I usually drink in has been turned into a restaurant but there's still four or five seats at the actual bar. It's OK, but as soon as the restaurant fills up it feels like I'm getting in the way so I drink up and go home. Did I tell you that ever since the neighbour moved in I've heard this knocking at night. It seems to be coming from the loft but as soon as I go up to investigate it seems to stop. You know that pub I mentioned right ? Well my boy had his first drink in that pub. I haven't seen him now for, what, about five months, but he always phones him Mum on Sundays, and I get to say hello at the end of the call. That's it really.

Poor Peter

SteveDave

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 29, 2017, 03:14:07 PM
Barry Homeowner's song was strangely moving.

It was! In the verse where he talked about knowing all of her passwords I think I said "Awww" out loud

Not much else to add to everyone's comments except more love. Been re-listening from the start and every episode has at least one moment where I'm gasping for breath through laughter.

I'm so fucking glad Mr. Bob Mortimer is in the world.

Oh, and after watching Bob sport one on Taskmaster, I just noticed THIS is now commercially available: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/536593947/athletico-mince-vintage-style-brass-hand?ref=shop_home_feat_3 . Yes please!

doppelkorn

I just caught up with this, and the Peter Beardsley stuff this week is knockout good.

I only know Andy Dawson from this, which seems like the best way to go.

dr beat

Anyone going to Live Mince next month? Some tickets still available for Glasgow:

https://athleticomince.com/live-mince/

We're off to the Edinburgh show.

The Masked Unit

I loved the Peter Beardsley stuff as well but am I the only one who thinks it's quite cruel?

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Masked Unit on October 08, 2017, 09:47:50 PM
I loved the Peter Beardsley stuff as well but am I the only one who thinks it's quite cruel?

A lot of AM would be cruel to those involved if it wasn't so clearly ridiculous.

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 08, 2017, 09:49:55 PM
A lot of AM would be cruel to those involved if it wasn't so clearly ridiculous.

Steve McClaren and the Fat Lass? Cruel

Steve McClaren, the Fat Lass and Casper? Not cruel

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on October 08, 2017, 10:23:55 PM

Steve McClaren and the fat lass? Cruel

Steve McClaren, the fat lass and casper? Not cruel

You Rodney plonkington, that's my haaaairrrrrr iiiiiiislanddd!

phantom_power

None of it is cruel because it is all made up nonsense. If Beardsley was actually some pathetic character then it might be cruel but one of the things Bob is great doing is finding the essence of a person that isn't necessarily true but looks like it could be

buntyman

Quote from: dr beat on October 08, 2017, 01:58:32 PM
Anyone going to Live Mince next month? Some tickets still available for Glasgow:

https://athleticomince.com/live-mince/

We're off to the Edinburgh show.

Brilliant, thanks for the tip off

Jittlebags

Facking gangbangers. You gotta love em.

Blinder Data

£22 for Glasgow?! If they put on a show then fair enough but it feels exorbitant for - what I assume is - a live version of the podcast.

Speak

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 09, 2017, 04:38:00 PM
£22 for Glasgow?! If they put on a show then fair enough but it feels exorbitant for - what I assume is - a live version of the podcast.

they do put on a show, its like the best bits of the podcast made into a show. it's not them chatting off the cuff like the actual podcast. I thought it was worth the money; although that was before i was aware of how much of a knobber Andy is.

Ferris

I'm sure this isn't the most original opinion, but Andy's sections are fairly shit. Gangs of the EPL is fucking magic though

phantom_power

Another unoriginal opinion but there should be more of these. Nothing for weeks now

Old Nehamkin

Bob has been busy filming a fishing show with Paul Whitehouse.

I like Andy.

Shit Good Nose

Bob's bits are obviously gold, but I don't mind Andy's sections at all.  I like how he's kept his quite "normal" and down to earth and hasn't tried to emulate Bob's flights of fancy.  I also quite like his Vince Parsnips sitcom - real bleak Northern kitchen sink stuff.

(again, I reiterate I don't use Twitter, so all I've heard about the "Andy is a cunt on twitter" stuff has been on CaB, and I ONLY know Andy from this podcast - don't know anything else about him)

asids

I do think Andy's a cunt but most of his stuff on the podcast is really great. Don't know if people are saying his stuff is shit just because he's a cunt or the fact he's a cunt has tainted what was his funny things.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Andy's not a cunt. The stuff he does in Athletico Mince is funny because he's funny.

Ferris

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 03, 2017, 09:39:48 PM
Andy's not a cunt. The stuff he does in Athletico Mince is funny because he's funny.

The Corbyn stuff is shite tho. I'm still catching up so maybe it'll be way better in the future?

magval

Ferris

Quote from: magval on November 04, 2017, 09:18:32 AM
He stops doing it.

That is a route-one method to improving his stuff. I look forward to his new bits.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Andy doesn't really have any recurring "bits" now, does he? Apart from 'Questions for Bob from my wife', which has always been a funny little bit of business. Bob's pre-prepared material tends to dominate the later episodes, with Andy acting more as a prompt and foil.

Ja'moke

I find Andy funny when he's just reacting to Bob, and even his segments like "Yes or No" and "Questions for Bob" work fine because it's a back and forth. It's his stand-alone segments that aren't funny - Jeremy Corbin, Secret Soccer Superstar, and the worst offender, Vince Parsnips, which I have to skip through because it makes me cringe. I'm about three episodes from catching up and it seems for the most part he's dropped most of these segments, which is for the best. Him riffing with Bob is much better.

dr beat

So did anyone go the recent live shows then? We were at the Edinburgh one and it was great.  We got there just as Bob himself was getting there, which was nice, and he was on good form throughout.  I really enjoyed the show, from what I recall it was all new stuff apart from the songs and I wouldn't be surprised if they had put it together on the day.  Best bit for me was gangs of the EPL, which was essentially another riff on 'threatening to throw slightly unclean water on Theo Walcott' but then I can't get enough of Bob's Harry Kane impersonation.

Oh and we found out that
Spoiler alert

Barry Homeowner is Ding Dong Landlord's son.
Spoiler alert

And as anyone who has spent 8 hours on a stationary train just outside Berwick-upon-Tweed with barely one functioning toilet, and no refreshments, while their twitter feed continues to spew out faux-wacky Colin Hunt cobblers rather than useful or reassuring information will attest, Virgin Trains East Coast are indeed what Andy says they are. 
[close]
[close]