Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:02:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Whatever you do, don't join the Facebook group. It is just people doing shit Kane and Henderson impressions

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on June 03, 2019, 06:23:03 AM
Whatever you do, don't join the Facebook group. It is just people doing shit Kane and Henderson impressions

DrGreggles

SteveDave

I've listened to Bob's Crime podcast bit three times now and am still laughing at "My whole family is on the pills!" and Neil Upton of Upton's Pottery Nonsense.

Twed

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 03, 2019, 10:22:16 AM
Miss you Fernandes
https://youtu.be/l6EuZEEj9lM
I always avoid the animations, all the details they add are from the minds of far lesser comedians.

phantom_power

Quote from: Twed on June 03, 2019, 03:21:32 PM
I always avoid the animations, all the details they add are from the minds of far lesser comedians.

I agree with the exception being the Jordan Henderson one, which gave some context and structure to the stream of nonsense he was spewing out

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on June 03, 2019, 03:21:32 PM

Absolutely correct.

alan nagsworth

Yeah I mean there's obviously a vivid, mad world in Bob's head and even imagining it myself feels like I'm doing it an injustice, let alone seeing it through the eyes of a cheap flash animation from, let's face it, a crap artist. Because they are crap.

phantom_power

(You should see people trying to ape his humour on the Facebook page (You shouldn't)

DrGreggles

Bob and Andy seem to approve of them.
And I like them too.
So there.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The animations are fine, they're okay, and I'm glad Bob's songs, sketches and monologues are being archived in this way. If you fancy a quick fix of one of your favourites, then there they are on YouTube.

DrGreggles

I think Ben Pics makes a few nice subtle additions to the animations - just little nods in the background. The Meat Feast was particularly good for this.
Obviously they're not for everyone though.

non capisco

That is just not what Casper looks like in my head, I'm afraid.

For all my previous bellyaching about Andy's Bananarama bit it was just about worth the whole thing for Bob's violent reaction against it this week. "Oh, GOD! NOT THIS!!!"

dunelm

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 03, 2019, 09:18:30 PM
The animations are fine, they're okay, and I'm glad Bob's songs, sketches and monologues are being archived in this way. If you fancy a quick fix of one of your favourites, then there they are on YouTube.

People saying the mince facebook group isn't as funny as Bob or the benspics aren't as funny as Bob isn't a point really. Bob is peerless, nothing would ever be  comparable or even come close. Fans are merely indulging their love for Bob's work and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Ferris

Quote from: dunelm on June 04, 2019, 10:30:21 AM
People saying the mince facebook group isn't as funny as Bob or the benspics aren't as funny as Bob isn't a point really. Bob is peerless, nothing would ever be  comparable or even come close. Fans are merely indulging their love for Bob's work and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Well, they're doing it in a way that could be potentially monetized (the YouTube animations are anyway). Considering Andy is already making a living off Bob's comedy, it seems a bit rich for a second person to ride his coattails as well.

dunelm

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 04, 2019, 10:45:28 AM
Well, they're doing it in a way that could be potentially monetized (the YouTube animations are anyway). Considering Andy is already making a living off Bob's comedy, it seems a bit rich for a second person to ride his coattails as well.

Bob has endorsed benspics, they're part of the patreon thing so I don't see any problem there. Likewise Bob is happy to work with Andy. I don't get the impression benspics are motivated by money, I think it's fan fiction really.

Ferris

Yeah I agree really, was being a bit facetious.

I think they're fine (but not great and weaken the source material at worst and add nothing at best), and I do stand by my point re: lots of people making the most of Bob's source material to get a few cheap laughs of their own.

End of the day, I don't really care. They're some funny videos that I probably won't ever watch in full. I'm happy for them to exist, and if the Mince crew are as well then fire away

dunelm

IIRC Bob said people have tried to write for them but it never works. I'd imagine it ends up being a semi bad impression. Their voice is so unique. A lot of this fan stuff will obvs fall into that category. But there's no harm done.

They've had people edit ideas with them like Higson and Whitehouse, but then Whitehouse said 'I just used to say yes to everything'.

Shit Good Nose

Yeah, I quite enjoy the Benspics animations as well.  For a start they help me visualise things a bit better, because I know absolutely fuck all about football and all the people involved, and have zero interest in it so I don't do any research.  I daresay that they probably also help promote the podcast - there are a lot of YT users who typically don't bother with audio podcasts - so it's not a completely one-way street.

Quote from: dunelm on June 04, 2019, 11:46:49 AM
IIRC Bob said people have tried to write for them but it never works. I'd imagine it ends up being a semi bad impression. Their voice is so unique. A lot of this fan stuff will obvs fall into that category. But there's no harm done.

They've had people edit ideas with them like Higson and Whitehouse, but then Whitehouse said 'I just used to say yes to everything'.

Similar to when Jack Docherty was script consultant and editor on Big Night Out - he said the most he ever did was shift a few jokes around and suggest a stopping point if anything was going on a bit too long.

dunelm

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 04, 2019, 03:22:14 PM
Similar to when Jack Docherty was script consultant and editor on Big Night Out - he said the most he ever did was shift a few jokes around and suggest a stopping point if anything was going on a bit too long.

Shame he didn't veto Talc and Turnips, it's the only time they've crossed the line for me.

The thing with their material as Bob has said, on paper it all looks like bollocks, so how can you judge one idea over another. Again Bob said over the years they've not had much interference from TV people. Nobody knows how to critique their stuff.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: dunelm on June 04, 2019, 07:08:07 PM
Shame he didn't veto Talc and Turnips, it's the only time they've crossed the line for me.

Conversely one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.  Thought I was going to die the first time I saw that.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 04, 2019, 08:05:36 PM
Conversely one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.  Thought I was going to die the first time I saw that.

Same here, it's Vic and Bob at their most insanely self-indulgent. At the risk of applying hifalutin analysis to something that neither asks for nor requires it, Talc and Turnips works both as a piss-take of bewildering surrealist performance art while being an actual piece of bewildering surrealist performance art in its own right.

It's not really that at all, obviously, it's just fucking stupid and hilarious.

dunelm

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 04, 2019, 08:24:17 PM
Same here, it's Vic and Bob at their most insanely self-indulgent. At the risk of applying hifalutin analysis to something that neither asks for nor requires it, Talc and Turnips works both as a piss-take of bewildering surrealist performance art while being an actual piece of bewildering surrealist performance art in its own right.

It's not really that at all, obviously, it's just fucking stupid and hilarious.

Surrealist performance art is beyond any form of parody for me. It IS shit in any context you present it in. It is the only time I thought they'd gone too far. Still if makes you laugh, ultimately that's fair enough.

rasta-spouse

There's an extra on one of their dvds (probably the BNO one, but I can't remember) where Vic and Bob talk about how they were told not to do Talc & Turnips by the team. But they insist it's the funniest thing they've ever done. However it's not as funny as Action/Image/Exchange so I don't know what they're on about.

dunelm

Quote from: rasta-spouse on June 05, 2019, 11:33:52 AM
There's an extra on one of their dvds (probably the BNO one, but I can't remember) where Vic and Bob talk about how they were told not to do Talc & Turnips by the team. But they insist it's the funniest thing they've ever done. However it's not as funny as Action/Image/Exchange so I don't know what they're on about.

I find Action/Image/Exchange funny, which is in a similar area, so fuck knows TBH. I think it's because of the pompous 'right on' seriousness they adopt just before the 'action' part. 

rasta-spouse

For me A/I/E is just better defined as a bit. The movements, the masks, the music and concept all work together. But Talc & Turnips is just, essentially, pratfalls.

I think the point where Vic & Bob should have started accepting outside advice was Catterick, as it just didn't work as a show - it was funny but had no consideration for plot or story. There's an interview with the script editor from House of Fools who talks about how Bob took some notes from him on day one and then told him to take a hike. Again, HoF was funny but they're stuck in their ways by this point and it all feels a bit..stodgy.   

DrGreggles

Catterick and HoF were both brilliant though, so the script editor can do one!

dunelm

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 05, 2019, 12:29:46 PM
Catterick and HoF were both brilliant though, so the script editor can do one!

Catterick is one the best things they've done. A under rated gem. I seem to recall the Beeb didn't really push it at the time.

rasta-spouse

The funny bits in both are brilliant. But I feel Catterick could have done with improved plotting to make it move. Vic & Bob really don't care about that kind of thing though. If you're shifting format you also have to make use of the mechanics of that format, otherwise at certain points the flaws will show.

House of Fools...I don't really mind that the plots are minimal. Really funny, but I think there were some creaks in it though.

dunelm

Quote from: rasta-spouse on June 05, 2019, 12:41:18 PM
The funny bits in both are brilliant. But I feel Catterick could have done with improved plotting to make it move. Vic & Bob really don't care about that kind of thing though. If you're shifting format you also have to make use of the mechanics of that format, otherwise at certain points the flaws will show.

House of Fools...I don't really mind that the plots are minimal. Really funny, but I think there were some creaks in it though.

I'm not watching Vic and Bob for the plots. It's the completely unique moments they create. I'm laughing so much I'm not looking / noticing the structure.