Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:25:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo NX

Started by Onken, March 24, 2016, 03:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

I've come to the conclusion that playing Skyrim at home makes me feel like I'm wasting my time, it's a chill out thing now. I love the world and atmosphere but I've eviscerated it in terms of novelty or tension or gameplay. It's pure chilling and music and walking. On a plane or train, that is absolutely ideal and I will be buying it day one. I will buy every game for the Switch to support it. I got a Wii U a few months ago and bought almost everything worth playing on it, even though I haven't had chance to play them all yet for more than an hour. I just know they're going to be gold because they're first party Nintendo games, or Platinum games, basically, and I want them to know there are people who will buy literally anything they make that's quality.

Conversely, the PS4 Pro can fuck one. I might as well get a PC wanker 'rig' for the cost of the new telly and Pro.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Bazooka on November 16, 2016, 01:58:37 PM
I wonder how many copies of Skyrim will actually sell.

On another forum I'm on, most of the discussion has been focussed on the other rumoured titles, but where Skyrim was mentioned in relation to these rumours, it was people saying they would be tempted to pick it up – largely because they hadn't played it before.

However, in the UK, when the Skyrim remaster launched, it went into the UK charts at number 2 –  to put that into some context, it outsold Titanfall 2, which had been pushed. Since then, I'm pretty sure that it's stayed in the top five, so there's obviously some demand for it now.

In Japan, the PS4 version has entered the Media Create charts at number 4 – 27,330 sales. The PS4 install base there is pretty low – only about 3.5 million. Western-style RPGs have been growing in popularity in Japan (and have been influencing game development there) – there's a bigger market in Japan than just PS4 owners (and the PS3 version did pretty well). If porting costs for Switch are low, then even modest sales would be a nice little earner – but if the Switch takes off in Japan, then it could be a very decent seller for Bethesda.

*edit* Just to add, in the first paragraph, I wasn't talking about large numbers. In my own case, could see playing Skyrim again on a device like the Switch, rather than on a PC (as I did last time) or a console - the idea of playing it on a portable device is far more attractive.

Shay Chaise

I would play basically anything on the Switch.

LucasArts Switch Collection: Zac McKraken, Fate of Atlantis and Monkey Island duology. Fifty pounds.

Football Manager Switch. A hundo.

Dark Souls HD Collection. Five hundos. Done.

Skidmarks, from the Amiga. Buy two Switches and get the game free. Preordered.

Cannon Fodder. Buy a hundo Switches to unlock via MyNintendo.

Bazooka

I still need to get a Wii U, so I hope closer to the switch they really slash the prices. With a 3DS, PS and a billion games I haven't been able to justify getting a Wii U, but with no backwards comparability on the switch I will have to eventually. Its the only Ninty console I have never owned minus GB variations.

buntyman

The Gameseek website is currently taking pre-orders for £199 for the Switch. Seems like a very good price for the kit bit I think I'll wait to see what various packages are on offer nearer the time of release.

Beagle 2

Wow, is that right? That seems very cheap.

How old does my baby need to be before I can claim I'm buying it for them? Six months?

Ignatius_S

Rumours Rabbids and Mario RPG - http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/report-ubisoft-developing-rabbids-mario-crossover-rpg-for-switch-launch-day/

Laura also tweeted that the excellent Xenoblade Chronicles is being ported to the Switch – also, the port isn't being done by the developers, Monolith Soft but they're working on something new.

Also, she said it's aimed that Zelda Breath of the Wild will be released on the Switch in the UK on 16 June, with the Wii U version shipping the following week.

Quote from: Bazooka on November 16, 2016, 03:14:57 PM
I still need to get a Wii U, so I hope closer to the switch they really slash the prices. With a 3DS, PS and a billion games I haven't been able to justify getting a Wii U, but with no backwards comparability on the switch I will have to eventually. Its the only Ninty console I have never owned minus GB variations.

I'm keeping an eye out but my gut feeling is the firesales are long over. But suspect a few will be selling their consoles soon...

Quote from: buntyman on November 23, 2016, 10:08:24 PM
The Gameseek website is currently taking pre-orders for £199 for the Switch. Seems like a very good price for the kit bit I think I'll wait to see what various packages are on offer nearer the time of release.

Gameseek takes payment on point of purchase, so would keep that in mind. That price was the rumoured one for the basic unit, so it might well be the standard one.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 23, 2016, 11:18:03 PM
Wow, is that right? That seems very cheap.

How old does my baby need to be before I can claim I'm buying it for them? Six months?

Recently, it was rumoured that there would be two SKUs – a basic model and one that has expanded storage and a package game (rumoured to be Splatoon), priced respectively at £199 and £249. This was reported by Laura Dale (http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/report-uk-retailer-game-to-price-nintendo-switch-from-199-99/) who has been on the money about claims about the Switch.

MCV has previously reported its sources had said the Switch would have an affordable price and would be priced less than people would think.

Kelvin

Not really all that relevant to the thread, but a a team of animators have made a short film based around Zelda: Majora's Mask, and it's actually really good.

Only five minutes long, and honestly a cut above 90% of fan films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbMQfaG6lo8

Bhazor

First third party games confirmed and its the worst lineup imaginable.

The newly reformed THQ Nordic is working on three new Nintendo Switch games ahead of the console's March release date.

THQ Nordic has acquired the rights to Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, as well as turn-based strategy games War Leaders: Clash of Nations and Legends of War, according to MCV.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/740324/Nintendo-Switch-games-THQ-new-titles-release-date

See Nintendo? This is why you should stop being so fucking coy and announce some shit already. Do you really want peoples first impression of your console to be based on an obscure PS2 platformer, a shite zero budget strategy game and a shite first generation PSP game? Is this really the strongest card in your deck?

Oh and Stardew Valley is on it as well. Because what better way is there to quell rumours about underperforming hardware than announcing the arrival of something I'm pretty certain would run on a graphing calculator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsN2JIRGHAo

Kelvin

I think you'll find that a lot of games will still be designed like traditional handheld games, not just out of laziness, but because creating full console style games costs huge amounts of time and money. I think that, just as console games will now be handheld, the other side of that coin is that handheld games can now be played on a big screen. So games like Pokemon and Fire Emblem won't suddenly become gorgeous, fully 3D, high powered games, they'll continue as lower budget, smaller experiences between the big, more traditional "console games".

Shay Chaise

Apparently, the Dark Souls trilogy is being discussed...

They've - apparently - got Dark Souls 3 running on it and the GOTY edition will be released simultaneously on XB1, PS4 and Switch!

Thursday

Can't wait to scream "Fuck off, I pressed roll" on the bus.

(and then get off the bus)

MojoJojo

Quote from: Kelvin on December 06, 2016, 07:40:54 PM
I think you'll find that a lot of games will still be designed like traditional handheld games, not just out of laziness, but because creating full console style games costs huge amounts of time and money. I think that, just as console games will now be handheld, the other side of that coin is that handheld games can now be played on a big screen. So games like Pokemon and Fire Emblem won't suddenly become gorgeous, fully 3D, high powered games, they'll continue as lower budget, smaller experiences between the big, more traditional "console games".

More to the point... it's a mobile powering a HD display. Mobiles have been able to do that for a few years, but the issue has been the culture behind it.

Nintendo could do, in purely technical terms, but it's difficult to get everyone pointing the same way. And Pokemon Go might be fucking it up. Just licensing for mobiles could earn them huge amounts of money, assuming they got a better deal than they did with Go. And that's without any (more or less) initial outlay.

The NX does appeal to a market desire e.g. play a decent computer game without taking over the room, but that's an industry/market cultural problem more than anything else. The NX could break through that, if marketing and games are aimed at doing that. But that costs money and is risky compared to just licensing Mario to whomever.

Pdine

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 06, 2016, 09:41:26 PM
More to the point... it's a mobile powering a HD display. Mobiles have been able to do that for a few years, but the issue has been the culture behind it.

Nintendo could do, in purely technical terms, but it's difficult to get everyone pointing the same way. And Pokemon Go might be fucking it up. Just licensing for mobiles could earn them huge amounts of money, assuming they got a better deal than they did with Go. And that's without any (more or less) initial outlay.

The NX does appeal to a market desire e.g. play a decent computer game without taking over the room, but that's an industry/market cultural problem more than anything else. The NX could break through that, if marketing and games are aimed at doing that. But that costs money and is risky compared to just licensing Mario to whomever.

Arguably though, doing the technological work behind making Dark Souls playable on the bus is a waste of Nintendo's time. Looking at the EA Access model - and I would hate this I must say - but it might make more sense for Nintendo to become a kind of Disney Channel available by subscription on all gaming devices. It's not as though their designs test any contemporary hardware.

Bazooka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJ7IUNWGl4

I have only watched it without sound at work, but if the handled contraption works like it shows that is pretty big, battery life excluded. Nintendo would be thick to not put money into handhelds that can at least run last gen games, although the 3ds battery life was only 2.5 hrs max.......

Mario run will make a shit ton of money for Nintendo, but the revenue from it will be too late, same way the 3ds did really well but too late for the Wii U, which died on it's arse.

Finally, outside of Japan people do not play handheld games outside of the home, mobile games yes, but not real games.

Benjaminos

Quote from: Bhazor on December 06, 2016, 07:05:29 PM
First third party games confirmed and its the worst lineup imaginable.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/740324/Nintendo-Switch-games-THQ-new-titles-release-date

See Nintendo? This is why you should stop being so fucking coy and announce some shit already. Do you really want peoples first impression of your console to be based on an obscure PS2 platformer, a shite zero budget strategy game and a shite first generation PSP game? Is this really the strongest card in your deck?

Oh and Stardew Valley is on it as well. Because what better way is there to quell rumours about underperforming hardware than announcing the arrival of something I'm pretty certain would run on a graphing calculator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsN2JIRGHAo

Have you ever played the PS2 version of Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy? It's the fucking business. I'm not even being sarcastic.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Bazooka on December 08, 2016, 10:18:16 AM
Finally, outside of Japan people do not play handheld games outside of the home, mobile games yes, but not real games.

Feed me a whale nob and call me Willy Tanaka.

Twed

Quote from: Bazooka on December 08, 2016, 10:18:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJ7IUNWGl4
Looking cool so far (I haven't watched all of it yet) but fuck me, Fallon really is the face of everything that is wrong with Western society. When people finally stop being able to tell the difference between normal human interaction and a QVC sales pitch, Fallon will be to blame.

Look at him there, pretending to be surprised by all the surprises he's been rehearsing for a week.

Bhazor

Complete bullshit fluff piece where Jimmy noticably asks zero questions about anything. But still a couple interesting tidbits from the shots of the console itself. Slot for a touch stylus in the back, what looks like a hard reset pin hole at the top, some kind of warning lable in the bottom left, TV cables plug into the massive stand rather than the console itself implying the stand may hold additional processing power, a hidden extra button behind each pair of shoulder buttons, looks like a generic mini usb socket in the bottom, no sign of any way to remove/replace battery sadly.

Say what you like about the Switch. You can't deny its the only interesting console on the way right now. PS4Big Cock Edition and Bone's Project Goliath or whatever the fuck they're called are just "Look its the game you played last year except now you can actually see the cum stains on his...". The Switch though? No one knows what the fuck is going on with it. "A usb mini socket? Thats a fucking game changer!"

But for god's sake stop being coy and just tell us the damn line up.

Twed

Quote from: Bhazor on December 08, 2016, 04:49:49 PM
Say what you like about the Switch. You can't deny its the only interesting console on the way right now. PS4Big Cock Edition and Bone's Project Goliath or whatever the fuck they're called are just "Look its the game you played last year except now you can actually see the cum stains on his...". The Switch though? No one knows what the fuck is going on with it. "A usb mini socket? Thats a fucking game changer!"
I like to believe that a lot of the criticisms of it are grounded in underestimating how many people care more about AAA graphics showcases than they do about neat, modern games that don't rely need spectacular visuals to be enjoyable.

Kelvin

Looks like the Switch version of Zelda BOTW runs at a much more consistent framerate than the Wii U one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVb42_FThbA

After seeing how often the framerate dropped in nearly every showing of the Wii U version, I was beginning to worry that the game might have a serious problem during combat.

imitationleather

I was just reading about the Switch and apparently the latest news is that undocked it runs 40% slower. Which sounds bad, but I guess is pretty meaningless until you actually try the thing out. I do wonder how many people are actually going to use the undocked feature all that much anyway.

I desperately want the Switch to work out because I think Nintendo are great and their consoles always appeal to me more than the increasingly dull and interchangeable Playstation and Xbox offerings. I'd been uhmming and aaahing for about a year about which of those to get and then decided that neither of them really seemed interesting enough to get. Won't be getting a Switch until at least next Christmas when hopefully there will be a decent selection of games out though. Don't really understand buying consoles on release day, although I shall be reading the hype as it builds like the rubbernecking twat I am.

buntyman

Yeah that's the first Switch news that's caused me concern. It's already destined for a slimmer, faster, brighter version to be brought out

Shay Chaise

I've been reading about what that actually means for a 720p screen output, versus the full size 1080p. In short, it's probably about as good as the PS Vita in handheld mode, and then a touch shy of the PS4 when docked. That's plenty I reckon. I certainly don't play Wii U games and feel it could do with more power, but I do wish the 3DS had a bit more in the tank. As ever, given it's a proprietary device and Nintendo always seem capable of squeezing out every last drop with their insights and trickery, compared to third party devs, I think it'll be plenty. I mean, if it's actually a bit shit in handheld mode, people will go mental considering that's their major marketing premise. It'll be good. It's just down to the games.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: buntyman on December 20, 2016, 11:30:05 AM
Yeah that's the first Switch news that's caused me concern. It's already destined for a slimmer, faster, brighter version to be brought out

When NX was first being mooted, Iwata was making comparisons with Android and iOS – a shared platform between multiple devices. If the devices turn out to be roughly the same kind of thing, reiterations were always going to be on the cards.

It's possible – well, virtually anything is at this point – that docks could be used with updated models of the console, rather than having to constantly buy the whole lot again and again.

Quote from: Shay Chaise on December 20, 2016, 12:43:22 PM
I've been reading about what that actually means for a 720p screen output, versus the full size 1080p. In short, it's probably about as good as the PS Vita in handheld mode, and then a touch shy of the PS4 when docked...

Most of the discussion I've seen seems to reckon more power that the Vita but *shrugs* we'll see and not too long to the January event.

Bhazor

A portable PS3 sounds plenty good to me. I will say its been fun watching every console gamer overnight turning into a high end hardware expert as they rip the revealed specs apart. A lot of them on reddit seem to feel personally betrayed that they were sold the Switch as a console and not a handheld with a mount. This despite literally every single press release emphasising the portable aspect.