Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:52:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo NX

Started by Onken, March 24, 2016, 03:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

I don't really know what Nintendo can do. Making a console that's just does it's own unique thing runs the risk of being gimmicky, unless they've got an idea that's really good and really appeals to people, then it could just be another WiiU. If they just went in the other direction and went back after traditional gamer audience, then that almost sounds good on paper, except that audience already has a console and or PC for that for that. So its still going to live or die by the quality of it's exclusives.

Mind you, despite how history talks of how the Wii brought games to an audience who weren't normally interested, it did also pull in traditional gamers (at least in it's first year or two) Since you had Twilight Priness, Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3. These were all essentially traditional video game sequels (Bigger, Shiner, and with a new twist)

Also so many of Nintendo's problems could be solved with a good online store, reasonably priced. If there was a nintendo machines with a large back catalogue of some classic NES, SNES and N64 games with a controller that makes sense, then I'd be tempted by that alone. But even if they do something like that they'll probably fuck it up in some way.

Steven

New Nintendo console 'flying out the door'.

Johnny Textface

Well that would be ideal.

Kelvin

Steven

Quote from: Kelvin on March 26, 2016, 05:49:40 PM
Combined with this:

Ha ha, at least it would keep the silly bastard quiet for a mo!

Kelvin

"Fuck-a-my-mouth. I get it-a nice-anna wet."

Steven

Quote from: Kelvin on March 26, 2016, 06:13:51 PM
"Fuck-a-my-mouth. I get it-a nice-anna wet."

Franco Zeffirelli has let himself go.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on March 26, 2016, 12:04:36 PM
Well no, they aren't a multimedia conglomerate like those companies, they just do games as far as I know. I don't really see why that's a negative thing.

It's not, I was just wondering you dreadful fucking cunt[nb]Wow!  Sorry, don't know what happened there! Jesus![/nb].

Consignia

Nintendo still do playing cards. You can buy their hanafuda cards and pretend to be cultured. I've got some Mario styled ones somewhere; very wafu.

I think you'd call them a toy company in general, but I don't think they do much outside games and most of that is outside will be licensed out.

Quote from: Thursday on March 26, 2016, 04:54:07 PM
Also so many of Nintendo's problems could be solved with a good online store, reasonably priced. If there was a nintendo machines with a large back catalogue of some classic NES, SNES and N64 games with a controller that makes sense, then I'd be tempted by that alone. But even if they do something like that they'll probably fuck it up in some way.

Well they do that already (the good online store and the fucking it up parts).

The Virtual Console brought Earthbound to Europe for the first time, stocks rare games like Paper Mario for the N64 and the complete run of Mega Man games across NES & SNES, fucking Super Mario RPG... it's a great library. The problem is they charge way too fucking much for them. £7.19 for a fucking SNES game on the 3DS? Mate.

The other problem is that they can never license everything. I'm sure many would like the Sunsoft Batman games for the NES - licensing hell. They just don't bother.

The main thing though is that they insist on giving Europe the crippled 50Hz versions we got originally rather than let us enjoy the proper 60Hz versions Japan and the US run. They're not even consistent on that though - some of them are 60Hz (Super Mario World, last I checked) and some are not. Given they have a huge marketing opportunity in Europe with that - "finally Europe can experience these games as they were meant to be" or something - it does go some way to showing why Nintendo have to play catch up all the time. Because they're staffed exclusively by pie-faced japs silly billies.

Bhazor

Quote from: Onken on March 26, 2016, 06:50:58 AM

Nintendo are Disney without the Pixar, Marvel or Star Wars acquisitions. A company still pushing Mickey Mouse down are throats and unable to create new magic. It's all downhill from here.

Super Mario 3D World is one of the absolute best games of the last generation and you are a twat.

Onken

Bazooka

The 3DS has still brought me the most entertainment in gaming in the last 4 years or so. But the virtual console is still a massive piss take.

greenman

Quote from: Bhazor on March 27, 2016, 03:01:44 PM
Super Mario 3D World is one of the absolute best games of the last generation and you are a twat.

Really I'd say it just comes down to what you think games should be, a test of skill and fun or some kind of ghetto for b-movie plots that wouldn't get funded by Hollywood.

Shay Chaise

Ugh, what a snide little thing to say.

Or, Nintendo's creative juices have never run so dry in the history of the company and video games don't have to simply be toys.

BritishHobo

I'm going to buy a Wii U at full price even though there's no games for it and it'll clearly drop massively when the NX comes out, if you'd like to direct your ire at me instead of Nintendo for awhile.

Consignia

Quote from: Bazooka on April 03, 2016, 01:52:02 AM
The 3DS has still brought me the most entertainment in gaming in the last 4 years or so. But the virtual console is still a massive piss take.

For me, the real disappointment of the last gen has been the 3DS. The DS was a real boon for me. Loads of brilliant and innovative titles. But the 3DS has relatively little by comparison. The Vita has got more of my handheld gaming attention, and that's a console that was described as dead before it was even released. It doesn't help that the 3DS is region locked, which is probably more of a personal issue but having to buy a Japanese 3DS in addition was an irritant.

I was always apprehensive about picking up a WiiU. I only have like 5 games for it, and I'm probably not going to buy any more. But I've had so much fun with those few titles I really don't regret it. I didn't expect much, but got loads of out of it. The 3DS by comparison I had high hopes for, and it really hasn't delivered.

brat-sampson

My Wii U has Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Kart 8 and Earthbound.

My PS4 has Bloodborne, a remake of TLOA, MGS5 and a bunch of throwaway PS+ indie titles...

My Vita probably has the most.

Interpretations in this industry do not map at all to my experience.

BritishHobo

Honestly I just want to play Mario Kart. I'd buy it if it was a machine that only played Mario Kart. I don't give a fuck for Zelda, or any of the Mario platformers (I went off him when they followed up the beautiful and imaginative Galaxy games with shit like Super 3D Land that just copy the old platformers, and repeat the same two bosses over and over again). Mario Kart me, please. I'll try Splatoon, and I'll probably get Super Mario Maker, and maybe the 2D Mario platformer because I'm a hypocrite. BUT THAT'S IT.

Consignia

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 03, 2016, 02:07:55 PM
(I went off him when they followed up the beautiful and imaginative Galaxy games with shit like Super 3D Land that just copy the old platformers, and repeat the same two bosses over and over again).

I think you are confusing the 3D Land/World series with New Super Mario Bros. The former is a brilliant reinvention of the series, the latter is the uninspiring 2D platformer. I bought the Wii U purely for 3D World and was not disappointed.

BritishHobo

Granted I've not played World, but I thought Land on the 3DS was really tedious, unimaginative shite. Maybe it did suffer from comparison to the huge variety of worlds in Galaxy, but even without that it was just a repeat of the same old ice world/fire world shit, and I got really really irritated by the fact that the boss battles were all the same. Even on the old 2D platformers, 3 and World, you had so many different bosses to fight. Here, it was just the same Bowser boss fight and one or two others that also repeated. I think Bowser Jr had a couple - but you were doing the same thing in every one. Is the Wii U version much different?

New Super Mario Bros Wii I didn't mind so much because the two-player mode was so much fun. Ploughed through it with my brother, hoping to do the same with U.

Consignia

Ah, fair enough, although your complaints did sound more akin to the New Super Mario Bros. games. I did like 3D land, but 3D World is inspired. It's a bit like Galaxy 2 in the variety aspect. It's not particularly good in the boss fight stakes, though.

BritishHobo

It might just be that I was playing Rayman Origins at the same time, and every other platformer paled in comparison that year - huge, gorgeous game that not only had a fantastic soundtrack but blended it with the perfect gameplay in a really cool way, every single level basically having a rhythm. That was a tight game.

The only Wii U game I've played is Lego Dimensions. Went to meet my girlfriend's dad for the first time and ended up spending most of the day getting taught how to play Lego Dimensions by his wife's little boy. So chaotic! It fucking baffled me. I felt like an old man having an NES controller thrust into his hands. Kid was just hurtling round the levels, collecting everything and solving everything, and I was just toddling along in his wake, accidentally running off platforms and dying. I'm out of touch. I've never even played Minecraft. I need to catch up.

Gurke and Hare

If you do buy a Wii U, you need to get Lego City Undercover for it.

Entropy Balsmalch

I had a WiiU for around three months. While Mario Kart was phenomenal, everything else left me cold.

Despite some very clever tricks and designs, Mario 3D World disappointed me.

After Galaxies 1 and 2 brought the best bits of 3D and 2D level design together in a brand new explosion of invention, 3D World felt like it had gone back a step. Too geometric.

Ah well.

I've realised that whatever Nintendo are doing now, they're not aiming at me. It's a shame because there is nothing better than a great Mario game.

BritishHobo

I just think the look of the current Mario platformers is so bland. Does Super Mario Maker not just reinforce how fucking bilge the New Super Mario games look compared to SMB3 and World?

Consignia

Mario 3 doesn't stand up particularly well which reflects how often you see them come up on Mario Maker. Mario World is the absolute business though. Easily the best looking of the 4 styles. I would have liked them to have included the All Stars style for Mario 1 and 3, as I think they make the needed graphical improvements. Mario 1 is fine as it is, but it'd be nice to have the SNES style for completion.

Kelvin

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 03, 2016, 07:52:57 PM
I just think the look of the current Mario platformers is so bland. Does Super Mario Maker not just reinforce how fucking bilge the New Super Mario games look compared to SMB3 and World?

Yeah, New Super Mario Bros is fucking hideous, and is creatively bereft in gameplay, as well.

3D World (the Wii U version) is much better. Especially if you have a friend (or three friends) to play it with.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on April 03, 2016, 08:09:18 PM
Yeah, New Super Mario Bros is fucking hideous, and is creatively bereft in gameplay

There isn't a single game in that series which I wouldn't give a ten. 100 odd levels of new 2D Mario, yes please, every time

BritishHobo

Watching the trailers, World does seem like a big step up from Land in terms of creativity. Land was fun, but it was over so quick and it had almost nothing new in it besides the scarce '3D levels' that didn't even need 3D.

Anyway, I've dragged this away from the NX enough. As you were.