Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:11:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo NX

Started by Onken, March 24, 2016, 03:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buntyman

I hope this new Nintendo thing has the 'off-tv' facility. That's been one of the biggest innovation plusses for me about the Wii U in a house of competing TV demands. Although I probably haven't fully benefited from the nice graphics on a big screen, I have been able to play a lot more of the games than I otherwise might've. I think I played both of the mario platform games and that toad maze game almost exclusively on the gamepad.
It's a shame the Wii U's been such a commercial flop as i think it could have been utilised for some really good party games with a bit more support. The Wii U Party game has some gooduns if you can be bothered to dig through the garbage - I particularly liked the pictionary type game (although the scoring system was badly flawed). The Luigi's mansion game on Nintendoland was another belter, especially after a few beers.

pandadeath

An apparently verified reddit user has posted some info about the NX. Nothing that's too interesting or out the ordinary, mostly just common sense. The most interesting point is that the NX will utilise x86 architecture, the same as the PS4 and Xbox One, so porting games should be much easier for third parties and will hopefully lead to there being more multiplats on the NX.

If these rumours are true and the NX turns out to use x86 then backwards compatibility with Wii U games seems like it's a no-go, unless it's super powerful. I hope the gamepad is compatible with the NX because I really like the Off-TV feature, but beyond that i'm not too concerned about being able to play my Wii U titles on it because i'm never one to get rid of my consoles and i'm willing to sacrifice it if it means we get versions of FIFA and the like that are on par with those on other consoles.

BritishHobo

Picked up a Wii U off eBay for 160 quid, with Wind Waker and Super Mario 3D Land plus a Wiimote and a Wiimote Plus. Got Mario Kart, Splatoon, New Super Mario Bros U (and Luigi U) plus Zombi U. But I've had to leave for the weekend for a baptism half an hour after it turned up. Set it all up to check it's working, got in one cup on Mario Kart and then had to leave. Feel like a little toddler being dragged away from a toy in a shop that he really wants.

Hollow

I hate how all consoles have to be 'xboxs' these days, there was more mystique to consoles when they were esoteric one offs.

With sound chips and weird CPU's that no one could use properly.

greenman

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 23, 2016, 11:04:18 AM
Picked up a Wii U off eBay for 160 quid, with Wind Waker and Super Mario 3D Land plus a Wiimote and a Wiimote Plus. Got Mario Kart, Splatoon, New Super Mario Bros U (and Luigi U) plus Zombi U. But I've had to leave for the weekend for a baptism half an hour after it turned up. Set it all up to check it's working, got in one cup on Mario Kart and then had to leave. Feel like a little toddler being dragged away from a toy in a shop that he really wants.

BritishHobo

Been reading CaB threads about Mario Kart and Splatoon all weekend. Getting desperate.

pandadeath

Just completed my first play through of 'Star Fox Zero' and it's a really solid experience. The controls take some getting used to and i'm still a little rusty with them, there were one or two moments when the controls complicated things a little too much but it never got in the way of my enjoyment of the game. You can tell that Platinum have put their stamp on it too, it's a frenetic and challenging game and I look forward to finding all the secret routes and mastering the controls.

The main game is short and there isn't a multiplayer or online mode, which is a bit annoying, but as with other entries in the series it seems like one that will warrant replaying a number of times. Definitely worth picking up for those of you who have Wii U's.

I got 'Star Fox Guard' with it too but I've only played that for half an hour or so, it seems like it'll be a lot of fun and Slippy's uncle is a real creep.

Hollow

Is this new starfox on the wiiu?

Kelvin

Quote from: Hollow on April 24, 2016, 12:26:29 PM
Is this new starfox on the wiiu?

Yeah. It's been released to bad to mixed reviews, though, and everything I've seen about it puts me off. The controls look terrible, the graphics looks half arsed and apparently there's very little content, even compared to other Starfox games. I love Lylat Wars and will probably get this eventually, but it's hard to understand why they made some of the choices they did.

Hollow

Quote from: Kelvin on April 24, 2016, 12:32:02 PM
Yeah. It's been released to bad to mixed reviews, though, and everything I've seen about it puts me off. The controls look terrible, the graphics looks half arsed and apparently there's very little content, even compared to other Starfox games. I love Starfox and will probably get it eventually, but it's hard to understand why they made some of the choices they did.

Well Starfox64 was practically perfect, how do you follow perfection?

Same problem for a lot of Nintendo games, even though Starfox has never been a 'Nintendo' game, they still have a 50% credit at least, but Nintendo tends to set the bar for itself a little too high. Many a great series has died a death due to Nintendo pacing itself out of the race.

This, f-zero, metroid.

They had real problems following Mario64.

A real contiuation of the core feel of Starfox can be found on the 3DS though, X-scape, a sequel to the OG gameboy game that got starfox made, X.

It's really good, oh it's called 3D space tank here, I really don't know why.

brat-sampson

Bad news folks, no NX until 2017, and what's more don't even expect it at e3. They're going to focus on new Zelda, which will launch on Wii-U and NX, but also in 2017...

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

No Zelda in 2016?! They're taking the piss.

The way things are going my Wii U will have been gathering dust in the corner for literally a year. Even my penis gets more action than that!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Kelvin on April 24, 2016, 12:32:02 PM
Yeah. It's been released to bad to mixed reviews, though, and everything I've seen about it puts me off. The controls look terrible, the graphics looks half arsed and apparently there's very little content, even compared to other Starfox games. I love Lylat Wars and will probably get this eventually, but it's hard to understand why they made some of the choices they did.

Bad to mixed? Certainly mixed reviews, but I've only seen a handful of bad reviews, slightly more than the amount giving it 90+. Most reviews have been 7-8/10, which isn't suprising as some elements have been divisive. Even the reviews that have been 6/10 (so mediocre rather than bad rating) have tended to be far from slating – one I read concluded with 'I enjoyed my time with Star Fox Zero'.

The most damning review is Jim Sterling's but on another forum I'm on, there was a thread about a new video from him slating the controls. The reaction in that thread was summarised as either – pretty fairly, IMO – 'I haven't played the game but he's spot on' or 'I've played the game and don't agree.'

I've only played a little but have been impressed by the control system - I doubt everyone will love it but it's definitely one that has to be tried before deciding. In terms of graphics, I think there's a certain charm but having to generate output on two screens (which has been rock solid for me), compromises have to be made. With regards to content, it's the type of game that is intended for multiple playthroughs; I believe that in the length of a playthrough is roughly the same as Transformers Devastation and that was hugely fun.

Quote from: brat-sampson on April 27, 2016, 08:49:07 AM
Bad news folks, no NX until 2017, and what's more don't even expect it at e3. They're going to focus on new Zelda, which will launch on Wii-U and NX, but also in 2017...

Mmm, not sure how realistic that it was going to 2016 – that seemed to be based on a lot of wishing based on nothing concrete.

Beagle 2

Ha, I just googled it and the first headline that came back was: "Star Fox Zero Review – Slippy Turd"

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 27, 2016, 11:19:24 AM
Ha, I just googled it and the first headline that came back was: "Star Fox Zero Review – Slippy Turd"

Yes, that's the Jim Sterling one that I mentioned - it's only just gone live.

The discussion I was referring to about his comments is at: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1211489 - as per my post, his review isn't a representative of the majority: http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/star-fox-zero/critic-reviews

BritishHobo

I've just finished New Super Mario Bros U. Absolute fucking shit. This series becomes slighter and more generic with every entry. Complete bollocks.

Mario Kart 8 on the other hand, gorgeous. I didn't really realise until I played Moo Moo Meadows, but it is a beautiful fucking game, especially compared to Wii.

Bazooka

C'mon be fair you know it's not shit, is it as good as past Mario Games? no, then fair play. If you really want to feel sick, play New Super Mario Brothers 2 on the 3DS, literally Nintendo laughing at you for buying it.

Kelvin

It's not "shit" in the truest, unplayable sense. But it is lazy, dull and soulless. By Nintendo standards, New Super Mario Bros. U is a bad game.

brat-sampson

Mario 3D World is the one true Wii U Mario title. It's fucking sublime.

Kelvin

It's great, yeah, but I think Mario Maker is the best Mario game on Wii U. Once you identify people you want to follow and cultivate the kinds of levels you want to play, it's incredible.

Hollow

Quote from: Kelvin on April 28, 2016, 10:28:42 AM
It's not "shit" in the truest, unplayable sense. But it is lazy, dull and soulless. By Nintendo standards, New Super Mario Bros. U is a bad game.

But by anyone else's standards it's great?

Kelvin

Quote from: Hollow on April 28, 2016, 04:42:42 PM
But by anyone else's standards it's great?

No, I just meant that being a Nintendo Mario game it's at least a competent platformer that controls beautifully. The level design is mundane, forgettable and lazy by the standards of Nintendo or any other triple A developer. I just think it's a very average game, elevated only by the fact that Nintendo understand better than any developer how the core mechanics of a platformer work.

BritishHobo

Exactly. It plays well, but everything about it is lazy, generic and half-arsed. It adds nothing (the only new power-up is a worse Tanooki suit), only repeating the same old ideas. It feels even less fresh than the Wii game, which is saying a lot. When Rayman Legends is available for the same platform, I feel perfectly safe in calling this shit.

The bloke off eBay sent me a copy of 3D World too scratched to be recognised by the console, so not played that yet. Also the controllers are all sticky and caked in crisp crumbs. Which is the second fucking time this has happened to me.

Hollow

If you can you should try the fanmade total conversion of New Super Mario Wii, it's more like a modern 2D mario should be.

It's called 'Newer'.

BritishHobo

I've just finished the Splatoon single-player campaign, and I think it's a good example of what I mean with New Super Mario Bros. Splatoon's a short campaign, you've only got twenty-seven levels (although Mario didn't feel much longer), but it's got some fun-ass boss battles, especially the final one, which is a fucking incredible, demented, extended rush. It feels like a proper challenge without being too frustrating. It took me a good few gos, but I ploughed through it listening to Mean Green Mother from Little Shop of Horrors and it was fucking brilliant fun. In comparison, you get to the end of NSMBU (and DS, and 3D, and New Super Mario Land 3D), and all you get is the laziest, most half-arsed Bowser fight. I was especially disappointed because the Wii version DID have a long, imaginative boss battle, with giant Bowser chasing you through the level, and you needing to find a route through the blocks. But this one just had a customary three-strikes-and-you're-out thing.

I'm pretty pissed off that Mario World fucked, because I really want to play it. If it's even half as good as Galaxy, which is gold standard for boss battles, I'll love it. I found a few tricks for repairing scratched discs, but none seem to be working.

Kelvin

So after days of staring at videos of Star Fox 64, I gave in and brought Star Fox Zero for Wii U a few days ago.

It's a really odd experience. The first, I dunno, 3-5 hours, I flat-out hated it. The control were horrendous, almost unplayable. When you're flying on a predetermined course, it's fine, but the second you have to fly around in all-range mode, I was crashing into walls and enemies and swearing at the screen every few minutes. As others have already said, when you start, it's like rubbing your stomach and patting your head; you look down at the gamepad and suddenly you have no idea what's ahead or behind you.

But after those initial few hours, it suddenly clicked and the last couple of days, I've had a great time playing it. Bosses that were infuriating and close to impossible suddenly seem a lot more fun, and miles easier. Levels I barely remembered because I was so focused on the controls became easy to navigate and an absolute blast to play through over and over again. 

Is it a great game? No. Not least because no game should be that hard purely as a result of the controls. But it's definitely a lot more fun than I expected, now that the controls are no longer an issue. In particular, some of the space battles feel like they're ripped straight out of Star Wars, with huge cruisers taking chunks out of each other and smaller ships flitting around between the cannon fire. It could look miles better, certainly, but there's an impressive sense of scale in the best levels, and as you'd expect from Nintendo, the characters are likeable and daft.     

pandadeath

Glad you gave it a go Kelvin. I've had a great time playing it too, but totally understand your issues with all range mode. With 'Lylat Wars' I never enjoyed the land master levels, but with 'Zero' find myself enjoying them the most, it's definitely a better game during the on-rails levels and I wish Nintendo & Platinum had realised that.

Did anyone pick up the Humble Bundle? I just finished 'Affordable Space Adventures' last night and thought it was incredible - a really enjoyable puzzle adventure game. I just bought a PS3 so I'm going to play through a couple of the games I missed on that before I start on any of the other bundle games, but looking forward to checking out 'Freedom Planet'.

Later this week 'Resident Evil Revelations' will be discounted from £39.99 to £7.99 on the eshop, definitely worth it if you've never played through it. The offer ends on the 26th.

Hollow

But that would mean admitting videogames a) exist and b) have a cultural relevance.

And as they've always been mindful that videogames encroach on TV's territory, in what some might describe as a better way, not to mention the practicals of literally sharing the same screen in the case of console gaming.

TV has always been shit scared of games.

This post was meant for the documentary thread.

Kelvin

Quote from: pandadeath on May 09, 2016, 04:59:16 PM
Glad you gave it a go Kelvin. I've had a great time playing it too, but totally understand your issues with all range mode. With 'Lylat Wars' I never enjoyed the land master levels, but with 'Zero' find myself enjoying them the most, it's definitely a better game during the on-rails levels and I wish Nintendo & Platinum had realised that.

Actually, it was largely your praise for the game that persuaded me to give it a try, so thanks for that. I do really enjoy it now I'm over that initial learning curve. I actually anticipated control problem when I started, so I only played a few levels while I learnt them, and then replayed the ones I knew (for high scores and medals) while I mastered them. I'm sure if you played though the entire game while they were learning the controls, it would be very tempting not to persist with it afterwards, meaning you'd never experience the awesome dog fights and space battles as they're meant to be played. 

madhair60

Quote from: Hollow on May 09, 2016, 05:05:57 PM
But that would mean admitting videogames a) exist and b) have a cultural relevance.

That's right. And, in fact, neither is true.