Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:24:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Now Garry Shandling's Died

Started by Beep Cleep Chimney, March 24, 2016, 08:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Spiteface

Entropy Balsmalch

A tribute to his work will be screened on BBC Two at 12:35am on a Thursday probably.

batwings

Another shock. The Larry Sanders show was just sublime comedy.

batwings

Quote from: Entropy Balsmalch on March 24, 2016, 08:39:31 PM
A tribute to his work will be screened on BBC Two at 12:35am on a Thursday probably.

Hopefully not along with one to Seinfeld.

Small Man Big Horse

Oh fucking hell. This is awful news, so fucking horrible. I fell madly in love with The Larry Sanders Show in my late teens and it had a profound effect on my tastes in comedy, and over all these years has stayed in the top three of my favourite sitcoms list. I'd always hoped he'd return and make one more project, be it a live stand up release or a series or a film, and it's so sad to know that will never happen now. Fuck. It was just completely unexpected and I'm floored by this.

shiftwork2

I am getting extremely tired of this now.  What the fuck is going on in this depraved year?  RIP Garry.

Oh for fuck's sake. Another totally shocking death I wasn't in any way expecting. One of the very few total one-of-a-kind comedy geniuses. I was still holding out hope he'd turn up and be brilliant in something else, because it seemed like he still had time. Unfortunately not.

Squink

Ah, shit. One of the all time greats for me.

up_the_hampipe

David Duchovny will be absolutely devastated.

He was on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee a couple of months ago talking a lot about death and looking back on his career. The title seems unfortunate now but it's a nice episode to have gone out with.

It's great that Garry Shandling is still alive.

Garry: It still has it's vibe. I mean, I didn't really know how to be. I was a guy from from Arizona.

Jerry: So what? Nobody gives a shit where you're from.

Garry: Yeh. I'm sorry I brought that up.

up_the_hampipe

Let's not forget one of his greatest moments: meeting Ricky Gervais and being an utter cunt to him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrg89rvtZ1k

hewantstolurkatad

Crap, I remember him talking two or three years ago about his more recent forays into standup. Sounded like he was trying to fish out some kind of new approach that I was looking forward to hearing sometime eventually whenever if ever it happened, kind of sounded like he sorely needed to be introduced to Stewart Lee.

Yes, every time I read about his recent stand-up it sounded like he was going for something really exciting and inventive. He was possessed of such a unique comic energy and perspective that it would have doubtlessly been fascinating, whatever it turned out to be.

Sparers

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 24, 2016, 09:13:14 PM
Let's not forget one of his greatest moments: meeting Ricky Gervais and being an utter cunt to him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrg89rvtZ1k

It truly is a beautiful thing. I remember there being a lot of doubt as to Shandling's behaviour at the time it was shown, but I never doubted that he was intentionally fucking with Gervais. And with good reason.

weekender

Sad news. 

Here in the UK, The Larry Sanders show got shown erratically as I remember, it was always a struggle to find it consistently.

I picked up the box set for £35 a month or so ago, and have been slowly working through it.  It really is wonderful; this was a great contribution to comedy.

I also agree that the show with him and Gervais is wonderfully awkward.  I don't think Shandling was necessarily being a cunt, I think he quickly realised that Gervais was not on his level, and treated him as such.  Gervais generally comes across as rude, and Shandling seems to slip effortlessly between genial host and aggressive host when on camera.

It's a wonderful piece of television showing a master at his craft, talking to Gervais.

How odd. I watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier for the first time last night and when Garry Shandling turned up he looked mostly plastic and generally not in great health. I was glad to see him though, had been years.

I never got into the Larry Sanders Show, although the bits I saw seemed good. I just mostly remember watching It's Garry Shandling's Show at stupid o'clock on Paramount Comedy thinking "what the cunting hell is this bizarre program?".

RIP Garry.

mothman

Hey now!

Well, someone had to. Jesus H, this fucking year...

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 24, 2016, 09:30:46 PM
It truly is a beautiful thing. I remember there being a lot of doubt as to Shandling's behaviour at the time it was shown, but I never doubted that he was intentionally fucking with Gervais. And with good reason.

"That's my ass detector and it's gone off because you're here"

Yeah, he's just fucking around to make the show as difficult as possible. I love it when he decides not to follow Gervais to the garden.

Dannyhood91

hewantstolurkatad

I'd say odds are he wasn't going to do anything, but it's admirable enough that he was still experimenting.

weekender

Quote from: The Region Legion on March 24, 2016, 09:33:33 PMI never got into the Larry Sanders Show.

Like Seinfeld, it took me a while to appreciate it, but there was this moment of realisation and suddenly it became great.

I can't remember exactly when it happened though, due to the erratic scheduling of the show on BBC2.

weekender

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 24, 2016, 09:40:41 PMYeah, he's just fucking around to make the show as difficult as possible. I love it when he decides not to follow Gervais to the garden.

I've watched the first 10 minutes of the YouTube episode too!

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: weekender on March 24, 2016, 09:49:28 PM
I've watched the first 10 minutes of the YouTube episode too!

Oh sorry, should I mention a bit from part 3 so you believe I've watched the whole programme?

There's an awkward bit in another part where Ricky goes to grab his hand or leg and Garry freaks out. I remember it from the last time I watched it. Do you believe me now, weekender? I need your validation.

Skip Bittman

"Don't TOUCH me!"

Time to watch those amazing extras he did for the Larry Sanders set. That boxing match with Alec Baldwin, the chat with Sharon Stone... and yes, top it off with that brilliantly effortless Gervais takedown, surely responsible for squashing the proposed Cleese special he had next and temporarily derailing his self-serving documentary ambitions.

Garry Shandling, we salute you!

"Do you know who Ricky Gervais is?"