Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,476
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:04:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Now Garry Shandling's Died

Started by Beep Cleep Chimney, March 24, 2016, 08:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hewantstolurkatad

http://www.gq.com/story/comedy-issue-garry-shandling He explains what happened with Gervais here, even removed from it being Ricky Gervais, it really does highlight a big strength of his whole mindset.

brownjam

That bit where Gervais tries to touch his knee and Shandling knocks his hand away. Beautiful.

Jerzy Bondov

Stunned by this news. 'It was a back tooth Hank' that's my favourite line in comedy. God.

mothman

Will his death make the #BBC 10pm news, or will it be at the end of #Newsnight - so, 11:15pm on Friday for old time's sake?

Eis Nein

His work is done, his final gift being the death of Gervais, now a shambling wreck powered only by its own embarrassment, wittering on about being kind to dogs or summat. Someone take a shovel to it, finish it for pity's sake.

Shandling and Cruyff in one day, two men who redefined their craft. This fucking year.

dr_christian_troy

Crying. Genuinely fucking devastated.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on March 24, 2016, 09:12:58 PM
He was on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee a couple of months ago talking a lot about death and looking back on his career. The title seems unfortunate now but it's a nice episode to have gone out with.

It's great that Garry Shandling is still alive.

Garry: It still has it's vibe. I mean, I didn't really know how to be. I was a guy from from Arizona.

Jerry: So what? Nobody gives a shit where you're from.

Garry: Yeh. I'm sorry I brought that up.

Thanks for that, it was a lovely and poignant way to say goodbye.

Danger Man

Bloody hell. A football legend and comedy legend die on the same day.

Sad news.

GoochDogHigh5s

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Let us not forget the Garry Shandling Show as well.
Funny AND innovative

checkoutgirl

About 5 years ago I decided that I had to watch all of Larry Sanders. It sort of passed me by when it was first on telly because I was 14 and wasn't as attuned to comedy. Soon after deciding to watch it I put on the first episode about that garden gadget. I switched it off and couldn't bring myself to even bother trying again for years.

Well about a year ago I finally settled down and forced myself to watch the first few episodes. After the third or fourth episode it got the hook in me. Power blasted my way through the whole 5 season/series in a few weeks. And wow. What a show. Just fucking brilliant genre creating stuff. Episode after episode of top notch mockumentary watchability. The type of stuff other shows before and after get too much credit for. Genuine feeling for the characters and natural humour oozing out of situations.

Sure if you watch a load of episodes in a row it can get a bit samey with similar themes popping up and Garry's story where he's on the top 10 sexiest men of the year list does stretch credulity a bit, but it never got on my tits, and the enjoyability level stayed consistently nice.

Now while Rip Thorn was the actor who generated the most delight for me by some margin, it was Garry's joint. He made it. It was his. And what an ending. What a great show that was.

Anyway the cunt's dead now so fuck it,

Beagle 2

Larry Sanders Show such a huge part of my life at a certain part of my life. I never got Seinfeld, but Larry Sanders really lit my wick. I'm sad, I don't think he'll ever get the credit he deserved. An ace person.

Mr_Simnock

It's funny cos it's true

Edit: I did love his show years ago, great stuff.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 24, 2016, 10:59:51 PMGarry's story where he's on the top 10 sexiest men of the year list does stretch credulity a bit
Where talking about a period of time where a Nick Nolte was voted sexiest man on earth in his 50s.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Thoughts with Jemble Fred at this difficult time...

Ah no, he's fine.

Wasn't the whole point of that episode that Larry had called in some favours just to get on the list and still only scraped into the Top 10. He'd clearly bribed his way in, purely to prop up his fragile ego and help him score a few dates out of it, it wasn't like the episode was set in a parallel universe where Garry Shandling/Larry was the epitome of male sex appeal.

It's been years since I've watched it, so I may be wrong. I'll have to dig out the boxset in his honour now.

Anyway, it's really sad about his death. The Larry Sanders Show was utterly amazing in almost every way.

newbridge

Never found him funny, but sorry you're dead Garry!

Mobius

So gutted :( Think I made a Larry Sanders thread a while back as I, like many of you, had finally gotten round to giving it a crack and just fell in love with it.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Quote on March 24, 2016, 11:30:15 PM
it wasn't like the episode was set in a parallel universe where Garry Shandling/Larry was the epitome of male sex appeal

Well the series was a bit like that. Every single woman in the show except for Rosie O'Donnell lusts after him (and consumates) at some point. 

Beagle 2

Ah it seems like there should be a black armband on the site tonight. He was so funny, so original, so cool. I'm fucking gutted.

biggytitbo

Sad.

No doubt Sean Hughes will die in very similar circumstances in a few years.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 25, 2016, 12:06:02 AM
No doubt Sean Hughes will die in very similar circumstances in a few years.

I bet Jemble Fred wishes he'd said that.

Glebe

Oh fuck. I never really watched his show, but I was well aware of him and the big influence he's had on a lot of comedy writers and performers.

Nowhere Man

Bloody hell. Terrible news.

On another note I can't believe Rip Torn outlived him, what with his history of alcohol abuse!

Steven

Quote from: Nowhere Man on March 25, 2016, 12:46:58 AM
On another note I can't believe Rip Torn outlived him, what with his history of alcohol abuse!

Not his fault they moved that bank into his home while he was out!

Puce Moment

Ooof.

It might be hard for people to realise that in the days before the internet, tuning into The Larry Sanders Show late at night on BBC2 was a massive thrill. A brilliant show. Easily in my top ten sitcoms of all time. What a fantastic piece of work to leave behind.

hedgehog90

The fuck is going on?
Seriously.
RIP

Glebe

Quote from: hedgehog90 on March 25, 2016, 02:11:54 AMThe fuck is going on?
Seriously.
RIP

By the time we get to Christmas we'll probably have a trail of legends behind us at this rate.

mr. logic

I'm currently on a Larry Sanders rewatch and last night this line tickled me: 'I'm pissing my pants, conceptual flaw and all.'

It speaks to a comedy divide- the old vs the new, the studio vs the artist, the thinker vs the over thinker.  Even the crude language of the first half of the sentence is pitched in battle with the technical jargon of the second.  It's such a perfect joke, and it was a complete throwaway.  I googled the phrase to see if it was a meme or anything, but it's unheralded even by the Internet. 

Makes me think that Garry could have been a poster on here.  RIP.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 25, 2016, 01:47:15 AM
It might be hard for people to realise that in the days before the internet, tuning into The Larry Sanders Show late at night on BBC2 was a massive thrill. A brilliant show. Easily in my top ten sitcoms of all time. What a fantastic piece of work to leave behind.
Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 24, 2016, 11:05:24 PM
Larry Sanders Show such a huge part of my life at a certain part of my life. I never got Seinfeld, but Larry Sanders really lit my wick. I'm sad, I don't think he'll ever get the credit he deserved. An ace person.
These say it all for me really. It was like a cool club, like CaB before CaB, being one of the U.K.fans of TLSS. I was going to spoiler 'You may now flip' because I was so sad when it ended but someone has tagged it so I guess it's ok to leave it as one of the best last lines of a comedy series.

non capisco

The Larry Sanders Show when it went out as a double bill with Seinfeld in the mid 90s really meant a lot to me in my teens. I had a very troubled couple of years with a combination of galloping, disfiguring extreme acne and the medication I was trialled for it turning out to have unexpected nasty mental side effects. I suddenly developed a raging, nonsensical persecution complex and my brain seemed often trying to persuade me that it would probably be better if I wasn't around. A person needs to find comfort in art to weather that kind of bullshit and my bedrocks at the time were the first few albums by REM and that brilliant Larry Sanders and Seinfeld double bill. I can pinpoint occasions where an episode of Larry Sanders, or even the thought that there would be one on later in the week, calmed me the fuck down. So for that, Mr. Shandling, I am completely in your debt. RIP.

"It was a back tooth, Hank." Jesus.