Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:24:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How much do you do?

Started by wasp_f15ting, February 02, 2004, 10:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasp_f15ting

So how much do whores do in terms of work in a day? I just started a temp job at a crappy mortgage sales company today.. I know I am the evil of evil for this.. but the shitty £7.00 p/h will go someway to getting me some pocket change for my Indian excursion in March.

Anyhow the point of the thread: How busy are you really? I am so fucking knackered at the moment, I woke up at 6:30 am, got on the 45min bus journey to uni, went to the gym for 1.30hrs, then lectures until 12pm, then an hour break, of to the pub, 1-3 pm lectures, 3-4:30 library course material swot up. 4:30 catch a train get to Stockport, 4:40 catch a bus to work, work from 5-8pm ( I know so small... but 3 calls per minute :puke: ) walk from work to bus stop and wait for 30 minutes.. catch bus, get home at 21:30, watch a bit of anime.. and pump some music. And I feel so fucking knackered now. Muscle burn is still there from work out in the morning..

And the worst fucking thing is I have to get up at 7:30 and do it all over again.. I know Its peanuts compared to some of the labourers etc, but my mind was so drained after 3hrs of European legislative law, and then ringing people to ask if they wanted mortgages for 3hrs capped it all. I used to do far more work last year but fucking around so much here and there makes the day feel that much longer. I am genuinely interested in my subject of study which makes it far more taxing that A-levels where I never gave a fuck and read only what was specified. Please assure me you are all suffering too, to make me happy :D

Hairy Chin

Actual amount of work - 4 hours. But I spend around 2 hours there before doing my thing, and sometimes a while after just bollocking about...much like now in fact.

Usually it's 4 hours for two days a week, but I've been working every day since wednesday until friday coming up. Although I feel guilty of having just described my job as 'work', considering most folk actually do work.

I'll get my coat...

european son

Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"but the shitty £7.00 p/h will go...

the most i've ever made was £5.62 an hour.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"... to ask if they wanted mortgages for 3hrs capped...

A fixed rate mortgage for three hours? Hardly seems worth the bother...

Doctor Stamen

Far too much, but I'm starting to enjoy what I do after getting really disillusioned with it all last year.  I even brought work home with me tonight though and messed around with it until 9.30 which is wrong, but I just felt like getting it out of the way.

This time last year I was in a mundane temp job which involved about half an hours work a day at the most, and the rest of the day was spent pissing about playing Minesweeper and Solitaire.  The bastards wouldn't even let me go and sit in the pub across the road!  I never want to be that bored at work again.

steevbishop

I'm finally in a job that not only I enjoy, but isn't run by tossers. Well, in the immediate vicinity anyway, being that I work for the NHS.

This time last year, I worked in a small graphic design business with a fixed wage that never made allowances for the stupid requirements of the job in time, patience, tolerance and hopeless management. I'd spend over five years in bottom feeding flyer design companies, where prices were as low as the client's IQ, somehow trying to justify it as good experience, and an opportunity to get involved in a growing business. Who was I frickin kidding? I was being shafted, wasting my efforts with no real return. It was the typical thankless job, where I'd go out of habit and would hate it, more often than not.

No more. I now work for NHS Creative Services, the only design/recruitment agency within the NHS structure. There's an emphasis on proper teamwork, the managers are accountable and nobody takes the piss too much. I'm still working longer hours than I'd like thanks to tight deadlines with recruitment ads, but it's not like it won't be rewarded.

5 day week, contracted for 37.5 hours, but I always do more than 41. Have had a couple of nasty 10 hour days recently. There's your picture.

Flook

Just in case you're thinking of starting your own business, kids. Take a look at this:

For me, work today started at midnight when I was still up trying to get some stuff ready for this morning, bed by 2:30, up again at 6 then a 2½ hr journey into London on the snafu express. Finish at 5:30, 2½ more hours on the marvellously effecient and reliable public transport system, put kids to bed, grab a sarnie and straight back to the computer to ... well, sign up on VWhores again, lurk around the boards, post a rubbish message or two for a bit, but ostensibly to get some more work done.

But hey, at least I havent got some overblown little prick whipping the crack every five minutes or so.

hmmm, unless you count me of course.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: "steevbishop"

No more. I now work for NHS Creative Services, the only design/recruitment agency within the NHS structure. There's an emphasis on proper teamwork, the managers are accountable and nobody takes the piss too much.

Recruitment ads? Fuck me: you must be busy - the NHS is what, 4,500 doctors short, and needs another 27,000 nurses over the next three years?

If you've got a moment, d'you think you can you knock out a few ads for more care staff at the A&E department of Royal United Hospital, Bath? Mrs Hovis tells me that here were only 20-odd days last year that it actually managed to meet the minimum legal staffing levels, which is why she's always at least an hour late home (hmmm... maybe she's having an affair?)...

Me, I have 19 working days every month to commission, manage the workflow, edit and proofread 140+ pages of dry, humourless technical computer magazine and 4GB of cover DVD. The average day is around 10 hours, and deadline week usually has three or four 14-hour days; not to mention all the unclocked time I spend at home doing work-related stuff. The Editors of most magazines are a mere functionaries who have to spend their time at pointless meetings with advertising, marketing and other parasites: important if your title is advert-driven, but not on a techy title like mine... so while the Ed is away, without an internal team other than me, one writer and Art/layout guy, the Production Editor [me] has to handle everything.
For the money I get, in terms of dividing my salary into an hourly-rate I'd be better off wearing a cardboard hat in hamburger hell.

So both me and Mrs Hovis have 'aspirational' jobs that people dream about when they're at school, yet the pay does not even come close to reflecting the level of responsibility - in my case, because the media market is oversubscribed; in Mrs Hovis'  case because the NHS is full of twatty management types who outnumber the care staff, and the general public don't give enough of a shit about their own health to be taxed at a high-enough rate to actually pay for it.

Still, we're not complaining - if we were that interested in money or possessions, we'd be fucking estate agents  or cockshitting investment bankers or lying, thieving solicitors or some other fucktarded career. He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

[edit: removed potentially libellous claims about RUH hospital management]

steevbishop

Quote from: "Sherringford Hovis"
Recruitment ads? Fuck me: you must be busy - the NHS is what, 4,500 doctors short, and needs another 27,000 nurses over the next three years?

It's still a young venture, around five years old, and only serves the local health community (Hampshire), though we've just bagged Oxford and are bidding for others. As an 18-strong team (web, design, recruitment, exhibitions etc.) we've got enough to keep us busy thanks. Other trusts either employ their own designers, managing their own projects into ugly shambles – I know, I've seen the results; or waste public money by farming it out to leeching corporate bodies.

Mrs Hovis tells me that here were only 20-odd days last year that it actually managed to meet the minimum legal staffing levels, which is why she's always at least an hour late home ... in Mrs Hovis'  case because the NHS is full of twatty management types who outnumber the care staff, and the general public don't give enough of a shit about their own health to be taxed at a high-enough rate to actually pay for it.
I've been working here less than six months and I completely agree. There are too many communications staff who treat a relatively pointless internal newsletter as their freakin' baby, obsessing over minutae when there clearly must be something more important to think about. We're constantly rolling our eyes about it all here, even our managers who've come from private sector background.
Part of the problem with staffing, and this is particularly in mental health (particularly in forensic mental health), is that there's very low retention of staff. This causes the need to spend more money to recruit (which pays my wage so I can't complain too much), but there's obviously not enough going on to make these posts truly worth it.

He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

Amen.

Dr David V

Hm... let's work this out...

Monday - 4 hours college.
Tuesday - Sweet F.A.
Wednesday - Bugger all.
Thursday - 6 hours college.
Friday - 6 hours college.
Saturday - 6 hours work.
Sunday - Nowt.
TOTAL - 22 hours.

22 / 7 = Pi.

So on average, I do Pi hours of work a day. Makes me feel pretty lazy actually. Oh well.

smoker

does typing bollocks to put on here count as work? if so put me down for 7.5 hours a day plus .5 hours lunch

Lord Spong

Quote from: "Dr David V"
22 / 7 = Pi.

No.

weekender

Quote from: "Lord Spong"
Quote from: "Dr David V"
22 / 7 = Pi.

No.

He's got a point, Pi isn't 22/7.

morgs

Here's my typical week....

Up at 7.15, at work by 8.25... leave work around 4.45... sit at home marking and doing paperwork 6 until 9ish... except on friday when i am in the pub by 6.  have an hour for lunch on monday and friday, half an hour mid-week.

The joy of being a High School teacher... am always fucking knackered when I get home!

Dr David V

Yeah, I was wrong about that. I only looked at the first 3 decimals though.

Actually, this reminds me of an amusing story. At school a group of little shits gathered around me for no reason, and despite my best efforts, they wouldn't leave, I even tried using big words against them. They picked up on the fact that I was clever (heh) and started to challenge me to do clever things. One of them asked me how many numbers of Pi I could recite off my head. I only know the first 4 (3.142), so after that, I just started making up numbers to add on the end. The look on their faces was priceless. They treated me like some kind of mathematical God or something for a short period. Then I left school. Gullable little twats.