Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Joyous moments in Morris stuff

Started by BJB, April 06, 2016, 04:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJB

I was listening to episode 2 of the Radio 1 Music Show earlier on the tram. It got to the bit where Morris starts doing this Enoch Powell impression ("It wouldn't be an elephant"). Before playing the David Bryne track Angels and throwing in Powell asides ("They should all be sent back". "Who?" "The elephants!).

Arguably wouldn't make a list of All Time great Morris moments, it is on paper essentially a silly throwaway bit of daftness.  However I found myself unable to stop myself grinning like an absolute imbecile, and doing that thing where your trying to suppress a laugh, and it sounds like a balloon slowly letting out air.  The whole segment to me, just beamed with the joy of just making really great, inspired silly comedy.

I know that a lot of Morris humour, particularly from Blue Jam onwards,  is about finding laughter from deeply uncomfortable or disturbing situations, which is also great. But I also find a lot of his work gives you that feeling I mentioned above, where it seems like Morris, like all great comedians, is just in love with the idea of making people laugh for the sake of laughing. Not to take anything away from his more satirical/dark stuff, I just noticed recently after listening to the Radio 1 shows that most of it is just Morris and Baynam giggling away at there own brilliant childishness.

What other moments do you find just make you giggle like a loon, and marvel at just how much effort Morris and co have gone into just to make you laugh?

I know this seems like just a "Funniest Moments" thread, but I'm trying to pinpoint a certain feeling/emotion. Which may be a bit vague, admittedly.

Would do more examples, but your better at that then me. Your go.

Bhazor

Listening to Chris Morris breaking character and laughing is always good. The various Sock Challenges from his music show always seemed to crack him up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK4JxspwUoc

Dannyhood91

He cracks up various times on the Paul Garner bits doesn't he?

His laughter is the sweetest sound xx

BJB

Morris and Baynam both chanting "GO. BACK. INTO. THE SHOP!" down the phone at Paul Garner, is infectiously brilliant.

Pepotamo1985

It's GO. BACK. TO THE SHOP. which is punchier and funnier. But yeah, pedantry aside, I love that part.

Morris' laughter is indeed fantastic - him cracking up as the taxi bothering begins, in anticipation of the torment he's gonna unleash on Garner, is beautiful.

Also, little ad-libs on the radio show where his mind is obviously getting excitable and he blurts out bits of genius.

"Whack it like a mother. Whack it like a mother....BANG IT LIKE A BASTARD."

Glebe

This just came into my head the other day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3mvNeiNtc

The point being, 'Here's an old duffer poncing about the media who thinks he knows what's best for young people, but he's so completely out of touch he's never heard of Batman.'

Shaky

I find the horrible-in-theory landmines & lions sketch in Blue Jam weirdly uplifting. David Cann's character is just infectiously cheery, even when being ripped apart by the herd in his own driveway.

"Jesus - you guys."

So many great lines delivered with aplomb in that one:

"Hey, widow!"
"... a string of guts in the garden."
"Wow - she's gas!"

Shaky

Morris's delivery of the famous line, "Do the planes sniff the building?", followed by helpless snorts of laughter from the airline staff. Just amazing.

Come back to us, Chris!

MoonDust

In his Blue Jam interview asking some poor bloke about how much he reckons people's brains are made up of Mother Teresa, or something, I find his voice and whole thing in general very soothing. It sounds very dreamy. Almost sends me to sleep.

fflip

In the Brass Eye 'Drugs' episode, when a portable stereo is held up beside David Amess to demonstrate the way in which a listener on 'cake' perceives music - the 'monged music' itself is already funny but what slayed me further - that I only noticed it on a later viewing - is that after stopping the tape, the offscreen helper twirls the stereo 360 degrees while pulling it out of the frame.

https://youtu.be/MIAJemmO-bg?t=19m4s

Perhaps this gesture is designed to prick the pomposity of the situation but it feels mostly to me like an energetic and creative mind seizing the opportunity to cram another joke in, with a joy in the idea of making an already good segment even better, and in the exuberance of the act.

"Foot fault" may be the quickest funny response to anything I've ever heard, it just boggles the mind.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Shaky on April 07, 2016, 01:36:25 AM
I find the horrible-in-theory landmines & lions sketch in Blue Jam weirdly uplifting. David Cann's character is just infectiously cheery, even when being ripped apart by the herd in his own driveway.

"Jesus - you guys."

"Hey, widow!"
"Wow - she's gas!"

Jesus he's fucked!

Blue Jam

Bacon

Quote from: clingfilm portent on April 11, 2016, 10:07:59 AM
"Foot fault" may be the quickest funny response to anything I've ever heard, it just boggles the mind.

'Time now for a local report, live from the scene'

Entropy Balsmalch

The first time I heard "But my faith deserted me completely when he shoved the Sun up his arse" I almost exploded.

I still love playing it to people who've never heard his radio stuff and then telling them it went out at 3pm on Boxing Day.

And also the whole "Dead Johnny Walker" episode. I remember three of us at uni sat agog listening.

thraxx

I had a joyous Morris moment the other day as it happens. An old guy I work with who is a lovely chap, shy and dull, who doesn't really watch TV or like music, never heard of Chris Morris - it was just he and I in the office so I put on some of the GLR recordings, for me not him.

At first he paid no attention, but within about 20 minutes he was crying with laughter at Morris' farty keyboard interventions over the songs and manner with interviewees. After about 40 minutes he was physical pain over the competition and phone callers.  That set me off. 

It was a lovely moment. The sheer look of glee on his face was wonderful. I didn't mean to introduce him to Morris, but he was sucked right in, accidentally.  Monday I'm taking him the Brasseye DVD.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I think, if your only exposure to Morris is his angry satire or bleak, woozy sketches, the first experience of his DJ work is relevatory in it's sheer upbeat, inventive silliness.

AtomicRust

Quote from: Shaky on April 07, 2016, 01:36:25 AM

"Jesus - you guys."

"Hey, widow!"
"Wow - she's gas!"

"what are you, the Plastic Ono Band?"

Also, I really enjoy the banter between him and callers in his GLR shows.

DrunkCountry

Helicopter dog, my avatar quote, "aching forra fuck", "Fucking NODDY!?", "This is the one thing we didn't want to happen", "right up in the soft warm recesses of a twat"

BJB

Was listening to the stuffed duckling conversation earlier. Wonderfully infectious, giddy stuff. One of those Morris/Baynham sequences that just feels like two guys just laughing at there own silliness.

QuoteCHRIST'S FAT COCK how I ached.

I love those letters from the Music Shows. I wish there was a convenient to listen to them.

QuoteI am a love worm! I am a love worm!

Sgt. Duckie

"The only real problem we've had...was when we found a bloke who had inserted his hand into the builder's backside. Got him to drag himself round the pool that way."

In a sketch full of bizarre mental images this line always has me grinning hardest.

Pancake

He's normally so quick you can't hear his workings out but there's that one sock quiz that ends with him saying something like "...I hope you're cured soon" or something that sounds particularly bubbly and self-amusing

hewantstolurkatad

Was rewatching Nathan Barley there yesterday and quite enjoyed the Trashbat Rap, I'm a sucker for Chris Morris lyrics in general though

Donnie Darko - Howard Marks - Polar Bears - The Bloke from Spaeks and his brother - Egg and Bacon - Tits and Arse - fucking on grass - Huggy Bear - Malcolm X - Memorex - MP3 - MTV - Billie Hicks - Swinging Dicks - Marlon Brando - dead Jill Dando - not the fucking MONDO BLANDO!

Ambient Sheep

"Motherbanger."

You can tell he had as much fun making it as I do listening to it.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Sgt. Duckie on April 25, 2016, 03:48:49 PM
"The only real problem we've had...was when we found a bloke who had inserted his hand into the builder's backside. Got him to drag himself round the pool that way."

In a sketch full of bizarre mental images this line always has me grinning hardest.

Until the builder threatens people with potential gun violence, I always think of that sketch as an early glimpse of the often overlooked 'silly' side of Blue Jam, where daaarkness hardly makes an appearance, but rather we're just treated to a deadpan examination of an inherently ridiculous and almost heartwarming (for this show) idea.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: fflip on April 10, 2016, 05:01:04 PM
the offscreen helper twirls the stereo 360 degrees while pulling it out of the frame.

That twirl is amazing. Similarly the cut from a segment back to the studio where you briefly see Morris set an uzi down on the desk just out of our sight is fucking incredible. It's the sense of not having a clue what's going on that I find thrilling.

There are a couple of lines from The Day Today that I also find immensely satisfying that make me want to punch the air with joy, which isn't a response you'd expect them to warrant if you read them on paper, but they're just fucking wonderful:

"Today is the anniversary of 1944. People did different things then, and lived different lives. This Day Today reminiscipackage features contemporary memories and footage from a time when a five speed, three litre Ford Capri was the stuff of a madman's dreams."

"If you mention the Church of England to most people, they immediately think of the sacraments, and the holy blood of our lord Jesus Christ. But to many within the church, there is another ritual. The ritual, of the bullying ritual."