Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:35:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

YouTubers You Watch

Started by Neil, April 06, 2016, 07:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Name some - this isn't a thread to be clogged up with videos, I just want to know who you are watching regularly.

I've been on another huge Howard Stern binge, so have a million related subs there.

I also watch Brittany Venti regularly, and adore her. Ditto Mr Metokur, the new alias for the similarly excellent InternetAristocrat. He's a supremely sarcastic, old-skool Internet motherfucker who takes the piss out of everything, particularly SJW's and Tumblrina's. I love him.

Been enjoying some H3H3 productions of late: big Tim and Eric influence, applied to a commentary of the shittiest Youtubers (eg LeafyIsHere). 

Went through a period of loving Boogie2988, but he's just too middle-of-the-road and money-grabbing for me now. Adorable guy, but gets dull.

A recent discovery was iDubbbzTV, mostly for his excellent "Content Cop" uploads. Another of the growing field in excellent YouTube commentators, like GradeAUnderA.

Still occasionally watch fucking Keemstar's fucking Drama Alerts, but always hate myself afterwards.

BritishHobo

h3h3's fantastic. I think what elevates him is he's properly carved out his own little style and rhythm. A lot of quick-cut talking-into-the-camera YouTubers end up feeling really samey.

I subscribe to so many people, but apart from h3h3 and Jim Sterling, there's no-one whose videos I actually watch on any kind of regular basis. I love JonTron, but he rarely uploads.

Neil

I'd deffo recommend content cop if you like H3H3. Have you followed the recent drama between H3H3 and Leafy? Pretty interesting.

Did anyone watch the whole YouTube drama between Nicole Arbor and Matt Santoro? Also very interesting, if you loves drama.

Onken

Casey Neistat. Although I get sick off him and take fortnightly breaks from his daily vlogs.

I know I'll get abuse for this, but for me the best woodworking Youtuber is Matthias Wandel.

Spoiler alert
If you check him out, ignore the most recent April Fools video. Which was hilarious. But needs context.
[close]

BritishHobo

Quote from: Neil on April 06, 2016, 08:18:33 PM
I'd deffo recommend content cop if you like H3H3. Have you followed the recent drama between H3H3 and Leafy? Pretty interesting.

Did anyone watch the whole YouTube drama between Nicole Arbor and Matt Santoro? Also very interesting, if you loves drama.

I stumbled on a video by the fella Leafy talking about it, but it was missing a lot of context, so I didn't really understand. It all makes my head spin that kind of stuff, when it spills into long videos from different sides.

Hollow

I thought H3H3's attack on Leafy was a cynical land grab...hypocritical to boot.

I like I Hate Everything, NFKRZ, Pyrocynical, Jim MF Sterling (son), Retro Core, Game Sack and Mundane Matt.

Hollow

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Hollow on April 06, 2016, 11:23:28 PM
I thought H3H3's attack on Leafy was a cynical land grab...hypocritical to boot.

Land grab? So if I say to someone that I think the way they made fun of someone else is out of order, then it's a land grab? And if I have ever in my life made fun of anyone else then it's hypocrisy?

Steven

What you think of Opie & Anthony + Jim Norton in general, Neil? I've listened to tonnes of Stern but their dynamic.. well I mean Ant and Jim's dynamic makes me laugh far more down the years than Stern's over-encroaching shit does, cos I don't think he's actually funny but funnels funny people through his show, but always is there constantly as part of the dynamic.

Hollow

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on April 07, 2016, 02:32:35 AM
Land grab? So if I say to someone that I think the way they made fun of someone else is out of order, then it's a land grab? And if I have ever in my life made fun of anyone else then it's hypocrisy?

There's more to it than that, but yes that's about it.

EFB

Quote from: Neil on April 06, 2016, 07:15:32 PM
Went through a period of loving Boogie2988, but he's just too middle-of-the-road and money-grabbing for me now. Adorable guy, but gets dull.

Same here. Still love the guy, but... not quite sure why his new stuff isn't a must watch anymore.

I always watch Totalbiscuit's WTF series, although I'm not into the same type of games as he is, I listen just for the way he dismantles things.

Kim Justice is a retro review / history channel mostly about 8 and 16 bit games. Always well researched.

Guru Larry (Larry Bundy Jr) is similar, although he doesn't do many videos these days.

Nostalgia Critic, if you're a fan of his cheesey style, is amusing.

Ashens, too. Love me some tat reviews.

Also - OneMinutePhysics, Numberphile, and Aunty Donna.

lazarou

A relatively new arrival is ChinnyVision, a YT channel dedicated to retro games with an emphasis on UK Micros and footage recorded from original hardware. As Chinny comes from a video production background, the production is impeccable and everything's typically well researched and deftly handled. Somewhat bizarrely, I remember him years ago from the same niche games forum that spawned Ashens, but he's a very different proposition. He was offering extended lectures on Amstrad and BBC (the broadcaster, not the micro) history even back then.

I used to watch Xyphoe quite a lot. Another retro lad with a focus on Amstrad games. It was all going fine under I realised how much he uses 'actually' in conversation and it started driving me slowly mad. By the time he was using it four times in one sentence, I thought he must be secretly fucking with me or something. Interesting in that he's one of the few who tend to run through old home micro games in their entirety (in a critical sense, rather than a Let's Play way) to offer a broader opinion than most. Actually.

A little dry but a tremendous undertaking, Chrontendo follows Dr Sparkle as he works to review every game released for the NES in chronological order. As if that wasn't insane enough, he has side projects for The Sega Master System and Mega Drive and the Turbografx/PC Engine. I find it both hugely informative and strangely relaxing, though your mileage may vary. He doesn't update much lately, but there's a lot to get through already.

BritishHobo

I agree with everyone about boogie2988. I think my big thing is I'm just not arsed about YouTube culture or YouTube drama, I just want to watch what people are creating. I think his Francis videos are great, and he can be pretty thoughtful, but these days he just keeps posting videos weighing in on 'drama' between people I didn't even know existed. Meh.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 07, 2016, 06:14:27 PM
I think my big thing is I'm just not arsed about YouTube culture or YouTube drama, I just want to watch what people are creating.

This really. It's very difficult to care about internet drama at all and the large number of adults who seem to devote considerable time to complaining about Tumblr or whatever is quite depressing.

Van Dammage

I quite like Marcus Dibble, a proper cheeky cunt. Doing call out videos of people who are generall arseholes.

Catalogue Trousers

Grade A Under A is superb. Very informed and funny outrage. On a similar level, I Hate Everything.

Purely film-related ones - Diamanda Hagan for her sheer willingness to tackle any film however bizarre, the Cinema Snob, and Brandon Tenold for his deadpan, Steven Wright/Bill Murray sense of humour. Oh, and Oancitizen.

Spiteface

The one I really like, and is a bit of a go-to if I'm bored and don't know what else to look at on YouTube and have yet to just resort to filth, is the channel for "Fretted Americana" - a dealer in vintage & rare guitars based somewhere in California. The channel is demos of cool old (and sometimes not so old) stuff by Phil X, who is a noted session musician and has recently toured with Bon Jovi (filling in for Richie Sambora apparently).

What I like is that unlike some other vintage guitar demos I see on youtube, he doesn't seem scared to play the damn things and doesn't play horrible white man blues on them either.

Here's the guy playing a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard

I like looking at and listening to cool shit I'll never be able to afford.

Also partial to Ashens stuff, and Shitcase Cinema. The guy who does the latter is a big Manics fan, but his reviews were the thing that opened my eyes to the joys of Godfrey Ho Ninja films.

Catalogue Trousers

PIERRE KIRBY!!!

The Cinema Snob did a great mini-season on his films.

Mr_Simnock

While looking for reviews of science fiction books I chanced upon a book reviewer called whitty novels. I was instantly hooked, not because I gave a crap about what she reviewed but because I absolutely fancied her rotten from the very first 10 seconds I watched. In the end I gave up and have stopped watching as I did it for all the wrong reasons anyway. I had a moment when I realised that it was all just a hopeless fantasy and felt a bit daft for letting myself get there in the first place. She may well be the best thing in my eyes since sliced bread but she is in America, half my age, I'm married, etc etc. I'm not sure this should be in the bleak thread or the one about the abject horror of fancying someone.

thraxx

Thanks for the H3H3 tip.  Totally agree with the Tim & Eric influence. Most excellent.

These two got my wife barking at me for laughing too loudly, which is usually a sign of quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkm8Hteeh6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqgtVpD328o

As an aside, I really fancy his wife Hila and wonder if he'd consider a permanent swap.

Hollow

It's more a supplement to Digitiser2000 than anything else but MrBiffo makes some funny stuff.

Custard

I like watching these YouTubers who discuss their latest film watches and DVD purchases. It should be like watching paint dry, but if the reviewer is passionate and/or likeable enough, it's like catnip for me

One such fella is wetmovie1, who has a form of learning difficulty, and can be a bit juvenile with gay jokes etc, yet has such passion for film that I can't help but be drawn in to his videos. His film taste can actually be pretty terrible, but he's so likeable that it's really not an issue. He has a staggering amount of DVDs and blu-rays. An insane amount. And yet he's back in the shops every week, buying more an more

What's fun also is his various "Out and About" videos, that usually involve his mate Gabriel, who's quite the strange little character himself. He says "an all that" at the end of nearly every sentence, and never actually seems to put his hand in his own pocket for anything

Coolduder does much the same sort of thing as wetmovie, and has been in the odd film himself, but he kinda gets on my nips, and I'm never quite sure why. There's a slight arrogance and/or coldness about him, maybe. Honestly don't know.

Both him and wetmovie lost about 200 pounds of weight each recently, which is staggering. They look like different people!

CGP Grey- He has a gift for describing complex things very clearly and succinctly but with a touch of wit thrown in.

Ralfystuff- The most knowledgeable scotch whisky guy on youtube.

Periodic Videos- Great chemistry channel.

MuteBanana

Channel Fadge
Cool dude. Does drinking videos, general vlogs, legal high reviews, gardening, other reviews. Things got a bit serious when he got testicular cancer but I think he's doing okay now. Talks about stuff he's into and just a good guy to follow on Youtube.

Food Wishes
The only food channel you need. Great recipes that are prepared and made with easy to follow instructions. Hosted by a very funny man called Chef John. His voice may be an acquired taste but once you get used to it its fine.

ChiqueGeeks
Couple from Norway I think. Make reaction videos to things like Sherlock, Doctor Who and Game of Thrones. I think I started watching them when they were making drunk reviews of the shows. Though there's not much difference between their drunk reviews and normal reviews. Unless they're always drunk. Videos slowed down when one of them moved to London to study. I like them and they've been making videos for a long time so are quite popular. Plus lesbians.

Another I just remembered.
Nic Hills
If you've ever considered reselling on Ebay this guy is a good person to follow. He's a full time reseller and been doing it for years. He's had offices, home offices and now he and his wife also run a second hand kids clothes shop. He still does his Ebay reselling and regularly posts videos on his methods, pick ups, general advice. All that good stuff. Part of a larger community of resellers on Youtube but hes probably one of the best.
Recent video but good place to start where they discuss how they got into reselling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQDL2WQvgxQ

Cloud

McJuggerNuggets
Staged and scripted to Hell and back (some people actually believe it's real), but just can't stop watching.  I've made a drinking game out of how many times he says "FUCK!" when his dad destroys something or otherwise pisses him off, and down it when he takes his shirt off.  It's a very quick way to get very drunk.

Meanwhile in the world of YouTubers not meant for 13 year olds, EEVblog.  Watch an Aussie with a heavy accent rant about shoddy electronics.

I loved iDubbbzTV before this, but he recently uploaded a video directly attacking a guy called Keemstar, who appears to be a lynchpin in all this "YouTube Drama" stuff and it is blowing up. Hit over 1 million views in 2 days.

Content Cop - Keemstar

Unlike when h3h3 called out Leafy, this one feels really genuine. Real vitriol. I recommend all his videos.

Hollow

Yes highly recommended take down of keemstar.

Hollow

Lots of people hate Keemstar, check out NFKRZ diss track from a few days ago, should be a cringefest but isn't.