Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:02:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Rogue One

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 07, 2016, 01:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

I rather hope that "Bothan" is the in-universe term for "convicted criminal pressganged into service," much like they insist on calling children "younglings." Because unless Bothans are a shape-shifting alien race, they'd make really ineffective spies as no-one'd trust them or let them do anything or go anywhere near anything secret.

Glebe

Also, the bothans must have gotten really cheesed off with being called up every time there was dangerous spy mission in the offing. "Fuck me, here we go again, nice knowing you lads..."

mothman

phantom_power

Maybe Bothan is Star Wars slang for "rubbish"

idunnosomename

uhh wookiepedia to the rescue with a bunch of made-up stuff

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bothan/Legends

"The Bothans were famously credited with stealing the plans to the second Death Star during the Battle of Korriban, enabling the Rebel Alliance to destroy the battlestation. However, many of them died to bring the Alliance this information. "

Not quite as snappy

HappyTree

This is a legend that suffered distortion as it was passed from generation to generation. The original story was that two spies were tasked with stealing the new Death Star plans and both of them were killed. The reason only 2 were required was that the plans were essentially the same as those for the old Death Star but the Empire had moved the exhaust port a bit and they needed to know in which direction.

Spoiler alert
It was to the left.
[close]

Puce Moment

Quote from: Mango Chimes on April 09, 2016, 07:38:22 PM

Nothing to add really, just wanted to see these images again in the thread.

momatt

Quote from: batwings on April 09, 2016, 01:38:07 PM
That's from Return Of The Jedi and in reference to the 2nd Death Star.

What?  Ahh bollocks, there's me thinking I was clever.  :(

Ignatius_S

Quote from: greenman on April 08, 2016, 04:51:52 PM...I wonder if it will be a one off? theres obviously potential for the same character to carry on with other films set during the original films era.

Although the intention is supposed to be a standalone film, there's no reason why other characters couldn't be seen elsewhere in the universe – and if some fan favourites develop, they would be crazy not to. Plus, it always possible that they might ditch the standalone concept in any case.

weekender

Quote from: Alberon on April 08, 2016, 02:21:03 PM
Apparently she played Mon Mothma in Episode III as well, but got cut from the final edit.

Here's Mothma from Rogue One next to the Return of the Jedi one for comparison.

Shame she clearly got stuck wearing the same frock for at least six years. It must have been well wiffy by the time the Empire fell.

If I ever get to design a Death Star, I'm putting washing machines in.

Skip Bittman

How exactly is it a standalone if it slots in right in before IV and sets up the plot, using some of the same characters?

I think it's more they want to strive mightily to avoid the tainted word PREQUEL for this and the Han Solo film, really.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Skip Bittman on April 12, 2016, 09:10:16 AM
How exactly is it a standalone if it slots in right in before IV and sets up the plot, using some of the same characters?

I think it's more they want to strive mightily to avoid the tainted word PREQUEL for this and the Han Solo film, really.

The anthology series is being used to differentiate films from the ones that form the core episodic series. Although the ones that have been announced can be seen as prequels in some ways, there's obviously scope to have others set in the Star Wars universe with little or no connection to what happened in the episodic series – that might be a reason they are keen to be branding the anthology series.

Prior to the Disney take-over, they had been working for years on a possible Star Wars TV show set in the criminal underworld and was mooted (at certain points) to be very character-based. Kathleen Kennedy recently confirmed that they had been looking at those scripts again – possibly nothing may come of it, but potentially they could use that material in a number of ways and one (or more) anthology film isn't out of the realms of possibility.

After Return of the Jedi, there were a couple of Ewok films – pretty sure that they were made for TV, but in any case, they were spin-offs starring the lovable Wicket. That kind of thing could be part of an anthology series very easily. Something that has been touted is that the tone of the anthology films can be different to the main franchise.

Re: the term prequel being tainted, I think that's only for some fans of a particular age. The three prequels created a new generation of fans and I've seen enough pained looks in a parent's eye as their youngling waxes lyrically about them to haunt me for a lifetime. I'm not sure how many people would be wary of a film billed as a 'Han Solo prequel' but won over by 'young Han Solo film part of an anthology' series.

That said, because prequel is such a well-used term (and has created some fatigue) maybe that's a reason they want to avoid it. However, my gut feeling is a lot is to do with how they want to brand the films, particularly when it comes to licensing and merchandise.

mikeyg27

But Kyle Katarn got the plans for the Death Star! He went into the base[nb]Actually, it's never established how he got into the base - he literally goes down a lift and is there.[/nb], found the red key card and used it on the red door, found the plans and said "That was too easy, now to get back to my ship" and went back to his ship, all the while shooting an assortment of Imperial guards and Stormtroopers. That's how it happened.

So on the one hand, this does look quite good, but it's definitely suffering from feeling like leftovers after the hype-feast that was The Force Awakens. I can also see that Disney are going to run Star Wars into the ground, and in the same way that I just don't give a shit about Marvel films anymore I fear I'm just going to become indifferent to any new Star Wars films which I'll admit depresses me a little. I bet the point that happens in the Han Solo film - that might have the highest degree of difficulty of any major hollywood franchise film.

Skip Bittman

The Han Solo film really sounds like a dreadful idea. Hardcore Star Wars fans piss and moan about it on all the forums and subreddits... even Lucas realized sticking young Han in the prequels would've been a terrible idea!

momatt

Quote from: Skip Bittman on April 12, 2016, 10:26:30 AM
even Lucas realized sticking young Han in the prequels would've been a terrible idea!

Never even thought about that as a possibility.  Wouldn't Han have been about 2 years old during Episode I?  Other than that being silly, his path crossing with the prequel stories really would have been stretching the usual Star Wars coincidences.

I think there's vague plans for a Boba Fett film too, which would be incredible if they get it right.

Norton Canes

Skip Bittman

Quote from: momatt on April 12, 2016, 10:39:42 AM
Never even thought about that as a possibility.  Wouldn't Han have been about 2 years old during Episode I?  Other than that being silly, his path crossing with the prequel stories really would have been stretching the usual Star Wars coincidences.

Yeah, Lucas originally wanted a 10 year old Han in Revenge of the Sith. Despite only having one line... blegh!

http://www.slashfilm.com/see-lucasfilms-concept-art-of-young-han-solo/

momatt

Well, credit to him and the team for not doing that.
The prequels got one thing right then!

I hope they don't just crowbar in a load of walk-on cameos that have nothing to do with the story, like they did with the prequels.

Shaky

I'm fine with Vader reappearing in Rogue One as long as he has a squeaky voice. James Earle Jones, doing a squeaky voice. Never referred to at any point.

Kelvin

I don't think Vader is an example of a pointless cameo, anyway. We know from New Hope that Vader is searching for the Death Star plans from the beginning and this entire film is based around the theft of those plans. It makes sense that he'd be involved in the later stages of Rogue One.

greenman

Quote from: Kelvin on May 18, 2016, 12:13:38 AM
I don't think Vader is an example of a pointless cameo, anyway. We know from New Hope that Vader is searching for the Death Star plans from the beginning and this entire film is based around the theft of those plans. It makes sense that he'd be involved in the later stages of Rogue One.

Depends how the cameo is done, I'm guessing Ben Mendelsohn is playing some Tarkin like character and having Vader step on his toes doesn't really seem ideal unless he's going to play a major role in the story.

I do quite like the idea of a "grand moff/admiral of a the week" series of films set during the original trilogy era. You could argue that was more Lucas's original intension with the series before he desided to focus on adding a bit more depth to Luke's story.

Kelvin

Quote from: greenman on May 18, 2016, 11:00:25 AM
Depends how the cameo is done, I'm guessing Ben Mendelsohn is playing some Tarkin like character and having Vader step on his toes doesn't really seem ideal unless he's going to play a major role in the story.

My assumption is that he'll show up in the third act, after Mendelsohn has failed. A way to up the stakes for the finale.   

greenman

Quote from: Kelvin on May 18, 2016, 01:02:12 PM
My assumption is that he'll show up in the third act, after Mendelsohn has failed. A way to up the stakes for the finale.

Doesn't really sound like a great idea to me, build up a villain then kill him off early and introduce another one we know can't be killed or arguably even heavily defeated. I can certainly see it happening though given that they had no problem introducing so many call backs to the original films in TFA to IMHO its detriment.