Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:42:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Strange (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Magic)

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, April 13, 2016, 02:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The next film in Disney's Marvel's cinematic universe. Directed by Scott Derrickson, who made some horror films or other.

Trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwcSki7r9cQ

Looks more visually flamboyant than Marvel's films typically tend to be - like Inception, minus the restraint. I'm a little concerned that Cummerbund Bandersnatch's American voice (which he seems to have borrowed from Hugh Laurie) might be distracting, though.

Blumf

THX bass test on the end there, tsk, cliche!

I am mildly pumped for this, if they can go full on with the weirdness, I'll be very happy.

Does seem to be treading on Inception and Matrix visuals though.

Dr. Orpheus, just because.

The Roofdog

I'm not sure if that voice is Cumberbatch, I think it might be Ejoifor.

Glebe

Nicely done, although it looks a bit too Inception at one point. And I'm not sure I can accept Tilda Swinton as a baldy mystic.

biggytitbo

Looks absolutely ridiculous complete with terrible American accent.

greenman

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 14, 2016, 07:27:03 AM

Not that bad so much as it sounds identical to Laurie as House.

phantom_power

He seemed to speak English later in the trailer so maybe it is Ejoifor

BritishHobo

Are they actually going to make magic a part of the universe then? Thor just explained gods away as aliens, but this is supposedly proper magic, and Iron Fist who they're making a Netflix show about
Spoiler alert
gets magic kung fu powers by punching a magic dragon in the magic heart.
[close]

Are they doing magic or are they gonna try and explain it as mad science?

phantom_power

Magic is just mad science isn't it? It can all be explained away by particles and shit, in a world of mutants. Scarlet Witch is magic isn't she?

checkoutgirl

The trailer doesn't give anything away and we're constantly moaning about trailers basically giving away the whole thing. At the same time it's a pretty underwhelming trailer. I assume they'll start releasing more and more of the plot to get people interested as release date approaches but maybe Cumberbatch hopped onto the Marvel gravy train too late and this won't be very successful.

I don't know who's doing that hokey American twang because Cumberbatch sounds normal enough at the end.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 14, 2016, 07:27:03 AM
From that limited snippet it seems like a hangover from the broad Bostonian he had in Black Mass.

Viero_Berlotti

I've got a lot of hopes riding on this one. Of all the comic-book adaptations this is the one I've been looking forward to the most. If huge budget cgi effects are going to do something justice then it is the cosmic world of Dr Strange. Was a little bit irked at Cumberbatch getting the role though, I thought Aiden Gillen might have been a better choice.

That trailer doesn't fill me with that much excitement unfortunately.

The Roofdog

Bandersnatch is the most obvious and MOR casting choice Marvel have made so far. Keep trying to tell myself that that doesn't mean he won't be good, though I am just getting a bit bored of the dude. Would've been happy with Joaquin Phoenix personally.

Dex Sawash

Glebe

New trailer.

Visually impressive, although again, the folding buildings are a bit too Inception.

Kelvin

Wow, in that one trailer they've made the film look both amazing and unwatchable. Why on earth does Cumberbatch have to do that accent?

SavageHedgehog

The wi-fi password gag is crass, partly because it implies refraining from internet usage can never be anything but backwards, but mostly because, tagged on there the way it is, it feels like "don't worry! We've still got that Marvel sense of humour! Make Mine Marvel everyone!"

I think the rest of the trailer is grand, largely because it takes a concept which could easily/cynically be played for cheap laughs seriously and with a sense of wonder, but doesn't seem pretentious or portentous. Looking forward to it, just hope there's not too much crossover stuff.

Kelvin

I think it might be the best trailer out of Comic-Con this year. I just don't know how I could sit through a whole film with him doing that voice.

Sgt. Duckie

The best SDCC trailer I've seen is the Kong: Skull Island one. Plenty of those awful cut to black trailer moments but I thought it had a difference about it. Very atmospheric and unawkard in the character line delivery dep.

As for Strange, certainly they are trying to appeal to the Inception crowd. His accent might be the strangest part to say the least.

Sam

Looks like a load of smug bollocks, same as most Marvel stuff. Bendybus Cumonface's accent didn't bother me, because it just looks like a shit performance anyway. And the Inception visuals look boring. Wifi bit was final straw really. Can't remember a trailer recently that succeeded so well in making me not give a fuck.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Sam on July 25, 2016, 09:03:14 AM
Looks like a load of smug bollocks, same as most Marvel stuff. Bendybus Cumonface's accent didn't bother me, because it just looks like a shit performance anyway. And the Inception visuals look boring. Wifi bit was final straw really. Can't remember a trailer recently that succeeded so well in making me not give a fuck.

Did you see the Ab Fab trailer? Probably the worst trailer I've seen on a big screen. It screamed failure.

brat-sampson

I didn't mind the wifi gag too much, it worked and was a reminder that the entire thing wont just be two people doing this for a couple of hours in front of a kaleidoscope:

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Sam on July 25, 2016, 09:03:14 AMAnd the Inception visuals look boring. Wifi bit was final straw really.

The visuals look great and the wifi bit was fun and gave us context that all these monks are living in modern day connected societies and not in mystical mystical land.

And I don't like how Inception's getting all the credit for something that was incidental in its own film, and a trailer trick to make the film look a lot more exciting and interesting than it was.  Those are Dark City visuals.  Also, a bit Cyriac in the cuboid city planet bit.  And the Matrix in the building ripple bit.  And Madonna Timberlake Four Minutes in the angular polygon portal bit.  And probably some other stuff.  I think it looks great.

That accent, though...

Still Not George

I haven't watched the official trailer until I saw this pop up today.

I can safely say I have virtually no idea what the fuck is going on in it, so yay, they succeeded there!

Glebe

Doctor Strange: Benedict Cumberbatch on the Sorcerer Supreme's real superpower.

Tilda Swinton responds to Doctor Strange casting controversy.

Quote"Anybody calling for more accurate representation of the diverse world we live in has got me standing right beside them," says Swinton. "I think when people see this film, they're going to see that it comes from a very diverse place, in all sorts of ways. Maybe this misunderstanding around this film has been an opportunity for that voice to be heard, and I'm not against that at all. But I do think that when people see the film, they'll see that it's not necessarily a target for that voice."

Right, that's enough controversies.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Glebe on August 19, 2016, 12:20:05 AM
Every Marvel movie has to have cameos now...

Just you wait - it's all building up to an Avengers Vs. X-Men Vs. Guardians of the Galaxy Vs. Defenders of the Earth Vs. Star Warsians Vs. Howard the Duck film[nb]movie[/nb].  It'll be 7 hours long and will be accompanied by no less than 15 TV series, which you have to watch all of if you really want to understand what's going on.

And in that there'll be a blink-and-you'll-miss-it Buzz Lightyear cameo.

And the stinger will be Samuel L Tracksuit taking his face off to reveal...[nb]The Hoff[/nb]