Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

That Hollywood live-action Ghost in the Shell filum.

Started by Glebe, April 15, 2016, 02:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Glebe

Blumf

Quote from: Glebe on June 29, 2016, 02:42:37 AM
And now this...

Isn't that the kind of thing Tarantino would love to get his hands on? Would we want him to?

Glebe

Quote from: Blumf on June 29, 2016, 10:26:44 AMIsn't that the kind of thing Tarantino would love to get his hands on? Would we want him to?

Hmmm, yeah. I reckon he'd make an entertaining job of it, actually. It'd certainly be right up his alley.

Blumf

Quote from: Glebe on July 02, 2016, 01:25:24 AM
"Ghost In The Shell" Producer Explains Why The Film's Approach Is "The Right Approach.

I'm tired and have nothing to add.

QuotePaul referred to the setting of Ghost in the Shell as "an international world."

That's fair enough, but the GitS world is riven with international disputes, Section 9 is a kind of MI5 type police group (actually, more CI5 of The Professionals fame). Swapping that out for mega-corps probably wouldn't work. Of course, they could stick with non-international politics plots, but I think they'd lose out on the world building.

TL;DR It could work, but neeeeh [wobbles-hand]

Blumf

Huum... not that different that the animé. What is point?

samadriel

Can we take the Akira stuff to the miscellaneous news thread, or give it its own thread? It's not relevant.

marquis_de_sad

An ok article, which was actually a lot more nuanced than the headline might suggest. However, I don't understand this paragraph:

QuoteLanding roles in Asian movies is relatively off-limits for Americans, usually relegated to blatantly "foreign" roles. Koji Fukada's "Sayonara" starred Bryerly Long, an American, as a dying woman in Japan, but the film also starred a humanoid robot as her loyal companion.

Why "but"?

Actually this article is a bit weird. Who is Monisha Shiva? As far as I can see she's an American actress who's been in one film, but the article claims she's "worked in both India and the U.S., and found the former to be more empowering". I can't find any evidence online that she's been in Indian films. Being American, she naturally thinks this is all about "actors of color", a concept that doesn't really make sense outside of North America and Western Europe.

The slight confusion in this article reflects the difficulties of applying the idea of "whitewashing" to a global context. Most people working outside of Hollywood tend to approach the issue as if it is a general question about using foreign actors, rather than a question of race. You can see that in this voxpop video done by That Japanese Man Yuta, where he asks people on the street in Tokyo about whitewashing by focusing on the live-action Ghost in the Shell remake. His videos are always really interesting and this one is no exception. Most people's initial judgements are about the individual actress ("Beautiful", "She looks like the character") and about the idea of a live-action Hollywood remake of a Japanese anime. Only when they have the idea of whitewashing explained to them do they see why it might be controversial, and most of them don't have a problem with the casting on that ground.

The question becomes about realism. Because Ghost in the Shell is an anime, it's not held to higher standards of realism. If this was a period drama about a figure from Japanese history, I imagine all of them would find the casting of a white American actor controversial. And most of the people Yuta talked to didn't like the idea of refusing an Asian actor for an ostensibly Japanese role (Light in Death Note).

Stig

Was hoping for deep analysis of whether cyberpunk / dystopia films will make a comeback and their relevance today

But naw instead it's all race stuff which won't matter

Bhazor

Its the androids in Hollywood I feel sorry for. Yet another proud synthetic role taken by someone, more or less, able to pass as human.

In unrelated news the live action Attack on Titan film is with an all Japanese cast. Despite not only being set in Europe but also having a major plotline centered around the fact that one character is the last surviving Japanese woman in the world and whose backstory centers around that fact. Same with the Full Metal Alchemist film where multiple characters are named after German composers and multiple plotlines reference turn of century euro politics but which is now being cast entirely with Japanmans.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Stig on July 10, 2016, 06:45:00 PM
Was hoping for deep analysis of whether cyberpunk / dystopia films will make a comeback and their relevance today

But naw instead it's all race stuff which won't matter

So would you say that this race stuff is a stand alone complex?

Consignia

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 10, 2016, 07:44:28 PM
So would you say that this race stuff is a stand alone complex?

I think the producers will pleading Innocence.

Glebe

Spiteface

Some pics are out, showing what the cast will look like:

http://thehypedgeek.com/heres-what-the-live-action-ghost-in-the-shell-cast-will-look-like/

I'm going to go out on a limb though, and say that this film won't have Scarlett Johansson's character having lesbian threesomes like in the manga (VERY NSFW)

Blumf

Batou without the trademark optics.. neeeh.

And Togusa being old, which suggests we'd be losing out on his character development.

Otherwise not bad, especially Aramaki.

greenman

Quote from: Glebe on July 30, 2016, 03:58:09 AM
...And so it goes on:

Asian Americans decry 'whitewashed' Great Wall film starring Matt Damon.

I can only imagine the studio demanded a white star, but who knows?

Perhaps not the best example though as it seems like a Hollywood/Chinese co production(probably more of the latter) with a Chinese director.

Glebe

Quote from: Spiteface on August 31, 2016, 10:33:36 AMSome pics are out, showing what the cast will look like:

http://thehypedgeek.com/heres-what-the-live-action-ghost-in-the-shell-cast-will-look-like/

I'm going to go out on a limb though, and say that this film won't have Scarlett Johansson's character having lesbian threesomes like in the manga (VERY NSFW)

*splutter* GET OUT!

Otherwise, I'm liking it (and cheers for these, Spiteface).

mothman

^If only Marty Feldman was still alive, he'd have been perfect.

Glebe

greenman

Quote from: Consignia on August 31, 2016, 01:12:41 PM
Serious adult cyberpunk comics, there.

Not read/watched anything else but haven't the films always been the main source of its credibility?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Based on his performance in Game of Thrones, the bloke playing Batou is the worst actor in the entire world.

Spiteface

Quote from: greenman on September 01, 2016, 08:35:10 PM
Not read/watched anything else but haven't the films always been the main source of its credibility?

It's the best-known version of GitS, so yeah.

I became more of a fan of Stand Alone Complex later on, though.

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 01, 2016, 09:05:46 PM
Based on his performance in Game of Thrones, the bloke playing Batou is the worst actor in the entire world.

Its an easy mistake for a Dane to make to consider Peter Schmeichel to have a typical northern english accent.

Glebe