Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Microsoft Are Now Forcing Windows 10 on Me/Us

Started by checkoutgirl, April 15, 2016, 05:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

What the fuck. I now have a box with no x in the corner so I can't close it. The options are pick a time in the next 4 days to schedule download or download now. That's fucking bollocks. I'm happy enough with Windows 7. Fucking bullshit. I'm working full time now so it might be the time to switch to *ahem* Apple.

Don't want to enrich the wealthiest company in the world but if Microsoft are going to be pulling this shit I might have to.

Alternatively tips on banishing Window 10 forever are welcome.

It automatically started downloading it the other day and took fucking ages so I hot unplugged to get out of it. Microsoft forced me to unplug my computer while it was on to escape this hell. I don't want an operating system full of function draining programmes and designed like a tablet. Fuck that shit.

Pain in the arse Microsoft cunts.

checkoutgirl

I'm in control panel and I have 8 options, System and Security, User Accounts and Family Safety etc

Where does GWX fit into that? I'm shit with computers so need click by click instructions or I'm fucked.

Wilbur

Install the program and tick required boxes. Each one has  a help text. Alternatively Steve Gibson does one that is apparently simpler but I've not used it.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Blumf

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 15, 2016, 05:41:38 PM
I'm working full time now so it might be the time to switch to *ahem* Apple.

Linux mate.

Shush!

Linux.

Dex Sawash

you un-install the update that has the W10 installer (kb3035583 on my W7pro64bit) then go to windows update website and "hide" that KB so it doesn't re-install.

Paul Calf

Benjaminos

Just install Windows 10. It boots quicker, performs better, uses less in the way of resources, and you don't even see the stupid Metro interface unless you deliberately turn it on.

HappyTree

I did install it on my laptop that I hardly use, just to see. It looks good! The reason I don't want it on my desktop PC is I don't trust it. I mean, keylogging sent to MS? What on earth is going on?

Blumf

Hollow

Just dump windows, you'd be better off installing android.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Benjaminos on April 15, 2016, 11:30:59 PM
Just install Windows 10. It boots quicker, performs better, uses less in the way of resources, and you don't even see the stupid Metro interface unless you deliberately turn it on.

10 doesn't have a 32bit mode to run old programs. Not an issue for most people, but i have a lot of corporate legacy sw I have to use and it won't install on a 64 bit OS. Need to keep  32bit XP mode on w7pro

olliebean

I have 64 bit W10 installed and 32 bit software runs fine. Probably would be an issue for most people if it didn't as plenty of software still doesn't have 64 bit versions.

If you mean XP mode, you can use VitualBox to run XP inside W10, although you'll need an XP license to activate it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm current using an older laptop and things are 'fine just fine just fine fine' as they are.

I fear installing a new platform will cause more problems and the machine itself won't cope with running a swankier model.

I am also very suspicious and contrary and the aggressive way a free version of Windows is being pushed on me makes me think something suspect is going on that may affect privacy and freedom, and on a contrary level just fuck off okay how about just fucking the fuck off?

Blumf

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 16, 2016, 02:17:48 AM
10 doesn't have a 32bit mode to run old programs. Not an issue for most people, but i have a lot of corporate legacy sw I have to use and it won't install on a 64 bit OS. Need to keep  32bit XP mode on w7pro

I think you mean win16 stuff (i.e. Windows 3.1 era), win32 stuff runs fine, even if the whole SysWoW64 mess is the stupidest way of doing that.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 16, 2016, 09:12:59 AM
I am also very suspicious and contrary and the aggressive way a free version of Windows is being pushed on me makes me think something suspect is going on that may affect privacy and freedom, and on a contrary level just fuck off okay how about just fucking the fuck off?

That's what annoyed me so. A box pops up with only 2 options, download sometime in the next 4 days or download immediately. Not to mention them sneakily starting the download automatically on start up a few days ago. It's very cheeky, like they own my computer and will decide what goes onto it and I'll have to grapple with yet another operating system in the space of 12 months.

Hollow

Even though i was joking yesterday, i really don't know why people still use Microsofts OS's, they were never anything other than plagiarists.

There's a 100% free, 100% functional alternative, why pay for a flashy, constantly worsening and expensive commercial imperative ?

If everyone just dropped M$ together we'd tank them.

Steven

Quote from: Hollow on April 16, 2016, 04:21:09 PM
Even though i was joking yesterday, i really don't know why people still use Microsofts OS's, they were never anything other than plagiarists.

Cos half the games, programs and hardware etc don't work in Linux and you have to basically become a programmer overnight to sort them out, it's getting more user friendly but basically still sort of more an OS for enthusiasts than the casual user.

Hollow

I suppose, it's still a shame they have a virtual monopoly, they are never good for the end user.

Puffin Chunks

Quote from: Steven on April 16, 2016, 04:42:24 PM
Cos half the games, programs and hardware etc don't work in Linux and you have to basically become a programmer overnight to sort them out, it's getting more user friendly but basically still sort of more an OS for enthusiasts than the casual user.

I think that depends what you want to do. For someone who wants the MSOffice/Adobe products and to play games, you're probably right, and most people do not want to be firing up a Terminal session for any reason... ever. However, anecdotally, I installed Xubuntu onto a flatmate's aging netbook a couple of years ago and it's really given it a new lease of life. She is the least tech-savvy person I know, so I loaded everything onto it I thought she might need (Chrome, email, libre office etc. etc.) fully expecting her to give up within 5 minutes of using it. As it turns out she has not once come to ask me for tech help and she uses it constantly. To be honest, I was surprised, as her Android phone appears to be entirely beyond her capabilities.

I think they're finally getting there, but without mainstream application support it will always be a niche OS.

Blumf

Quote from: Puffin Chunks on April 17, 2016, 12:48:25 AM
I think that depends what you want to do. For someone who wants the MSOffice/Adobe products and to play games, you're probably right, and most people do not want to be firing up a Terminal session for any reason... ever.

Number of times I've had to go to the command line to fix something in Mint this past 12 months : 0
Number of times I've had to fuck around in CMD.EXE to get Win10 working this past 12 months : >10, should I also include twatting about in regedit too?

As for MS Office, jesus! I'd not seen it since... Office 2007, I think. Last month I was watching somebody struggling with the Metro-fied mess of a UI in the current version. What would be a simple operation in a more traditional UI was lost in a maze of non-intuitive panels and unclear yet oversized buttons.

Not to say LibreOffice is perfection, but it tends to get out of your way and let you get on with your work.

Similarly, I can understand people not wanting to miss out on certain apps on Windows, but the idea that Linux is somehow more complex to use than the mess that is Windows, that you never need to screw around with arcane system commands is laughable. If anything Windows has gotten a lot worse in recent versions, didn't need to do so much of this in 2k and XP.

hedgehog90

I'm a lifelong Windows user. Can't stand Apple, recently tried Linux and I liked it a lot.
Recently I've been thinking more and more 'What the fuck are Windows playing at?'

I can't believe 10 is considered an improvement on 8 by most users.
They had 4 years to fix it, they made about 15% of progress and bunged out the Frankenstein mess that is Windows 10.
It has all the same problems as 8 and then some. The only reason people prefer it to 8 I assume is the start menu.
There's not a single metro app out there that isn't a horrific piece of shit. Honestly, who uses Groove over Windows Media Player?
All the settings menus are beyond a joke. There's not a worse designed UI scheme out there. It beggars belief how unintuitive and dysfunctional they are.
And is it just me or does the metrofied default program pop up take about half an hour to pop up after double clicking a file with an unrecognised extension?
They're serving no one with this metro shite. When I say no one, I mean so few its negligible. They really need to scrap the lot and start again.

And recently I had a play around with a Windows phone. It shared almost no resemblance to desktop Windows. They are worlds apart.
So the question remains, why metro?
Windows 10 is the outcome of realising that the gap between mobile and desktop is too wide to make a one size fits all product... But they've kept most of its mistakes as it resembles some kind of 'progress'. And with the Windows Store now firmly in place they can make an extra buck or two and hold a bit more reign over software devs, such are modern times...

It's like a bad bit of legislation. Can't just revoke it when everybody hates it, that makes them look weak. They just move on and wait until people get used to it.

Windows 11 will just be more kiddified wank won't it? They might eventually reach a point where they metrofy the entire control panel. Just imagine formatting a hard drive or editing the registry in a metro app.
The fact is it'll never happen, they'll be on to the next stylistic whim.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Hollow on April 16, 2016, 04:44:27 PM
I suppose, it's still a shame they have a virtual monopoly, they are never good for the end user.

If you ignore 3.1, XP and 7 then it is 'never good'.

Being less dogmatic about it, they have made good OS' s and may do in future.

Big Jack McBastard

In the past Serbian hackers were a a manky foe, trying to turn your computer into part of a Shitcoin mining botnet, now they're alabaster knights of virtue stripping out rotten OS 'features' and making the world a more tolerable place.

I fear what Win 11 and so on will bring.

Replies From View

Ambient Sheep

Didn't you know?  Last I heard, there isn't going to BE a Windows 11... just continual updates to Windows 10, a bit like Chrome and Firefox do their rapid development thing.  Windows 10 will be the last voice you will ever hearversion you will ever have.  That's why they want you all onto 10 so you can join that party.  That and all the spying of course.

I gotta second Blumf's Linux recommendation.  Due to various knackered laptop hard drives, I've been using an Ubuntu Live CD for ages on two different laptops and by-and-large it works just fine.  On this laptop it even works better than the default Windows 7 installation.[nb]Because it allows you to turn off mouse-clicks-via-touchpad-taps with one tick-box, which for some godawful stupid reason, the Windows driver for this touchpad doesn't (yes, spent ages checking for extended menu options, different drivers, etc.).  Since the touchpad is super-sensitive, this makes it almost unusable unless you turn it off entirely with a Fn key combo and use an external mouse, as otherwise you're brushing it every time you type and your letters end up in random places all over the page.[/nb]  Complete operating system, web browser, office suite, and a bunch of accessories, all on a 700MB CD.  It's a minor miracle, and the sense of freedom you get when running it is amazing.

The way to go nowadays seems to be the Ubuntu spin-off, Mint, due to the fact that it comes with all the non-free (as in speech, it's still free as in beer) media playing software that Ubuntu won't include by default for legal/ideological reasons, saving you the hassle of installing it yourself.  Also it has various other improvements and removes some of the downsides of a basic Ubuntu install.  It's a single DVD rather than a single CD.

So I've already decided that my next machine will be running Linux Mint, probably as a dual-boot with Windows (if only because I'll have little choice).  I'd burn a DVD for it now, except that my burner is also buggered...

And all because Microsoft won't let me stay on XP (or 7, at a push).

Wilbur

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 11, 2016, 05:54:26 AMOn this laptop it even works better than the default Windows 7 installation.[nb]Because it allows you to turn off mouse-clicks-via-touchpad-taps with one tick-box, which for some godawful stupid reason, the Windows driver for this touchpad doesn't (yes, spent ages checking for extended menu options, different drivers, etc.).  Since the touchpad is super-sensitive, this makes it almost unusable unless you turn it off entirely with a Fn key combo and use an external mouse, as otherwise you're brushing it every time you type and your letters end up in random places all over the page.[/nb]

http://touchpad-blocker.com/

Will sort that for you.

Ambient Sheep

Thank you so much!  I'll give it a try... amazing that not one of the many forum threads I found complaining about this exact same issue with this exact same laptop mentioned it.  Maybe it wasn't around back then when this laptop came out.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 16, 2016, 09:12:59 AM
I'm current using an older laptop and things are 'fine just fine just fine fine' as they are.

I fear installing a new platform will cause more problems and the machine itself won't cope with running a swankier model.

Seems there are ways to deal with this keylogging business.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2974057/windows/how-to-turn-off-windows-10s-keylogger-yes-it-still-has-one.html