Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:37:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Microsoft Are Now Forcing Windows 10 on Me/Us

Started by checkoutgirl, April 15, 2016, 05:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilbur

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 11, 2016, 04:34:47 PM
Thank you so much!  I'll give it a try... amazing that not one of the many forum threads I found complaining about this exact same issue with this exact same laptop mentioned it.  Maybe it wasn't around back then when this laptop came out.

Its something some of my older customers find useful. As they get arthritic hands they complain of the cursor jumping around and its caused by them inadvertantly touching the pad.

monolith

Are they only forcing it on users with certain versions of 7? My Home Premium edition doesn't seem to be forcing Windows 10 on me, or not yet anyway.

Wilbur

Quote from: monolith on May 11, 2016, 05:19:39 PM
Are they only forcing it on users with certain versions of 7? My Home Premium edition doesn't seem to be forcing Windows 10 on me, or not yet anyway.
I THINK its a display issue. I've seen the GWX display with the missing options to cancel or scroll onto the next page and I've seen it correctly displayed. I suspect it may be down to mssing activex or something similar [nb]This could be completely incorrect[/nb]

MojoJojo

I believe Windows 10 isn't pushed if you have some unsupported configurations.

However, it does a more thorough check once it's downloaded. So having it pushed does not necessarily mean your hardware is supported.

thugler

Just get it, it's much quicker than 7. Makes a big difference. And all the bad stuff can be turned off fairly easily.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 11, 2016, 05:54:26 AM
Didn't you know?  Last I heard, there isn't going to BE a Windows 11... just continual updates to Windows 10, a bit like Chrome and Firefox do their rapid development thing.

Seems this is true and in a while it'll re-branded as simply 'Windows'.

Ahh, how heroin lovely, so rather than making what the customer wants they'll push this massive fucking botnet (probably in the name of ever 'increasing security concerns' just to make the irony so sharp they cut themselves and their customers) and then datamine the anal cavity of whoever is barmy/inept enough to suck it down.

Oh well I'm glad I don't have to look for new reliable MS OS torrents, as I have the last one I'll ever be using, gutted of this kind of shite, already burned and installed. So in fact this has taken a slight inconvenience out of my life.

In that sense Windows 10 is a positive thing, I can't currently think of any others.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: thugler on May 19, 2016, 12:16:19 PM
Just get it, it's much quicker than 7. Makes a big difference. And all the bad stuff can be turned off fairly easily.

Sent by thugler's PC while he was in the lavvy.

Uncle TechTip

So we all get to use Linux now? <weakly> yaayy..

It's great and all but not on desktops. The cutting edge general purpose computer is dead. It's walled gardens all the way or piss about with drivers. Forget gaming.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on May 19, 2016, 08:37:12 PM
Seems this is true and in a while it'll re-branded as simply 'Windows'.

Ahh, how heroin lovely, so rather than making what the customer wants they'll push this massive fucking botnet (probably in the name of ever 'increasing security concerns' just to make the irony so sharp they cut themselves and their customers) and then datamine the anal cavity of whoever is barmy/inept enough to suck it down.

To be fair, it is basically what linux/Open Source does. The big version thing is very old fashioned.

It just spreads the changes out a bit.

Hangthebuggers

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

GWX CONTROL PANEL

Download and install that and tick the boxes you want - it removes the secret installation files and prevents windows 10 from installing.

MojoJojo

GWX control panel is good. Clogs also work.

Zetetic

Quote from: MojoJojo on May 19, 2016, 09:46:58 PM
To be fair, it is basically what linux/Open Source does. The big version thing is very old fashioned.
I wonder if this'll mean that we're finally going to see versioned libraries meaning something under Windows/Steam.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 19, 2016, 09:10:47 PMThe cutting edge general purpose computer is dead.

I know.  It took 40 years, but the dream is dead, and some of us are crying.

At this point I want to put in a modified version of Orwell's famous boot/stamp/face quote for grimly humorous effect, but I can't come up with anything that isn't utter rubbish.  Ah well.

Van Dammage

Just now an update appeared with a 15 minute countdown but with no option to stop the update or do it later, only one to start right away. Fuck off.

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on May 19, 2016, 09:48:22 PM
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

GWX CONTROL PANEL

Download and install that and tick the boxes you want - it removes the secret installation files and prevents windows 10 from installing.

Thank you.

Ambient Sheep

WARNING: as of the latest mod, apparently hitting the red-X "close" button on the upgrade box NOW means "yes, upgrade my system, please".

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/05/24/171215/windows-10-upgrade-activates-by-clicking-red-x-close-button-in-prompt-message

which links to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

Someone in the comments linked to Goatse GNAA this tech site who are apparently known as Microsoft fanboys, and even THEY think it's a step too far.

According to someone running Wireshark (a network-packet-sniffing tool), even if you turn everything off, Windows 10 still chatters away to MS quite a bit... one wonders just WHO is pushing this update so goddam hard... JUST the Microsoft top brass, or someone else?

Van Dammage

That must have been what happened to me. I tried to click the x like I normally do, then two seconds later it pops up saying I'm upgrading in 15 minutes. But again, It had no option to stop it, only an option to starts no instead of in 15 minutes.

Ambient Sheep

Allegedly, once the 15 minutes were up, you could THEN stop it, according to what I've read, but I'd hate to bet the farm on that.

If I were running Windows, I'd have Never10 loaded so fast it would make my head spin.

hedgehog90

My mum had Windows 10 installed on her computer without her knowing earlier today. Just turned on the computer and it was a different OS. No wizard or manual input of any kind.

What the fuck?

Ambient Sheep

Well I for one welcome our new three/four-letter agency overlords...

colacentral

I can't help but think that their insistence on installing Windows 10 (generously for free) is some sort of Halloween III mind control plot.

Phil_A

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 25, 2016, 01:27:08 AM
My mum had Windows 10 installed on her computer without her knowing earlier today. Just turned on the computer and it was a different OS. No wizard or manual input of any kind.

What the fuck?

I was actually genuinely afraid that this would happen to me, like I would turn on my laptop one day and Windows 10 would just be THERE, without me having done anything. Windows automatic updates are insidious enough as it is, it's bad enough when you leave your computer on overnight and wake up in the morning to find it's fucking rebooted on it's own.

"Oh, you were working on something? Tough shit mate! Essential updates, yeah? No, of course we didn't fucking save the last two chapters of that novel you were working on. See, these updates are SO ESSENTIAL we just could not wait another minute for you to decide to download them of your own volition, so we made your mind up for you. Isn't that just easier all round? Independent thought is for losers, right?"

Catalogue Trousers

Serious question. I've had this bugger forced on me and, while it'll happily play audio CDs on my laptop, playing video DVDs is a no-no. Any recommendations for good, reliable, free audio-visual downloads that'll work with it...cheers.

Blumf

Not sure if it's the best on Windows, but vlc is generally pretty flexible

Replies From View

Quote from: Phil_A on May 25, 2016, 07:14:25 PM
I was actually genuinely afraid that this would happen to me, like I would turn on my laptop one day and Windows 10 would just be THERE, without me having done anything. Windows automatic updates are insidious enough as it is, it's bad enough when you leave your computer on overnight and wake up in the morning to find it's fucking rebooted on it's own.

"Oh, you were working on something? Tough shit mate! Essential updates, yeah? No, of course we didn't fucking save the last two chapters of that novel you were working on. See, these updates are SO ESSENTIAL we just could not wait another minute for you to decide to download them of your own volition, so we made your mind up for you. Isn't that just easier all round? Independent thought is for losers, right?"

Are they Mario and Luigi from that Mario Brothers film?  I don't remember them going from door to door being cunts, but they probably were.  It's pretty much what happened in the games, after all.

Though whoever's writing two chapters of a novel without saving as they go along might deserve your scenario befalling them.  Might deserve it.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 26, 2016, 12:56:55 AM
Serious question. I've had this bugger forced on me and, while it'll happily play audio CDs on my laptop, playing video DVDs is a no-no. Any recommendations for good, reliable, free audio-visual downloads that'll work with it...cheers.

VLC always seems to work, as Blumf says.

monolith

This might seem obvious, but doesn't turning off automatic updates solve this issue?

I always choose which updates to install and never have automatic updates on and haven't had Windows 10 forced on me as of yet so I'm assuming I'll be alright, has anyone been forced to upgrade despite having automatic updates turned off?

falafel

Quote from: Replies From View on May 31, 2016, 05:47:24 PM
Are they Mario and Luigi from that Mario Brothers film?  I don't remember them going from door to door being cunts, but they probably were.  It's pretty much what happened in the games, after all

They won't touch your ducts without a 27B-6 though, the buggers.

Dex Sawash

My boss/work owner/service manager/janitor was on vacation this week so I was demoted from mechanic to boss/service manager/janitor to fill in for him. The boss' terminal is also the server and it went into hands-off w10 upgrade 5 minutes after I opened the shop Tuesday morning. The whole damn place[nb]5 neworked desktop PCs[/nb] was paralyzed for 2 hours. I declined the user agreement and it reverted without any problem. Want to kick bill gates right in the dickhole though.

Ambient Sheep

Woman in California has got a $10,000 settlement out of Microsoft for a Windows 10 update trashing her computer and thus half-trashing her business:

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/microsoft/microsoft-draws-flak-for-pushing-windows-10-on-pc-users/

(via https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/06/27/0211219/woman-wins-10000-lawsuit-against-microsoft-over-windows-10-upgrades)

QuoteA few days after Microsoft released Windows 10 to the public last year, Teri Goldstein's computer started trying to download and install the new operating system.

The update, which she says she didn't authorize, failed. Instead, the computer she uses to run her Sausalito, Calif., travel-agency business slowed to a crawl. It would crash, she says, and be unusable for days at a time.

"I had never heard of Windows 10," Goldstein said. "Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to update."

When outreach to Microsoft's customer support didn't fix the issue, Goldstein took the software giant to court, seeking compensation for lost wages and the cost of a new computer.

She won. Last month, Microsoft dropped an appeal and Goldstein collected a $10,000 judgment from the company.

The company denies wrongdoing, and a spokeswoman said Microsoft halted its appeal to avoid the expense of further litigation."

I was a bit surprised that Microsoft let it go, because after all that left the woman with a court win against them.  However a chain of Slashdot comments here explains it, basically:

QuoteIf they won the case in an appeals court, than any court under that appeals court's jurisdiction would be obligated to rule the same way. The precedent means little to nothing in a single case and a single courtroom.

QuoteI don't know about this specific jurisdiction, but in some cases winning at the lowest court level doesn't set a binding precedent (which may be why they dropped the appeal).

QuoteThe precedent was set in a lower court, which is not binding for any other court at that level. The higher Microsoft appealed this decision, the more binding the decision would have been (at the highest level of appeal, it is a binding precedent at every court in the country). At this point the decision is damaging but not catastrophic; Microsoft was smart to cut their losses.

Still, it does mean that other people might be tempted to have a go...