Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:29:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

3rd Act Flops

Started by clingfilm portent, April 27, 2016, 10:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: pliable oftentimes on May 06, 2016, 11:31:22 AM
No Country For Old Men

I would concede that the third act is the weakest, although I love the very last scene quite a bit. Those kinds of 'hanging' (don't know how else to describe it) endings really work for me.

Quote from: pliable oftentimes on May 06, 2016, 11:31:22 AM
Sicario.

Yeah I think this qualifies, though I do still rate the film.

Small Man Big Horse

Boyhood - Possibly a bit unfair to include this as it was only the final two years of the kids life that annoyed, but they were a disappointment and it lessened the effect of the film a little.

Blumf

Reminded by the Flight of the Burglarator thread:

Explorers (1985) - Starts off with a mystery, then the fun and excitement of flying their new craft, then it goes to shit and the aliens they meet are stupid.

Fuck you dumb film! Flight of the Navigator was better.

Flight of The Navigator is a great kids film but on rewatching it a couple of years ago I quickly got annoyed with the voice the ship uses to sound more accommodating - wacky, Disneyfied, what ever you want to call it. Its a bit Jar Jar(ring). Voice flop!

Phil_A

Quote from: Blumf on May 08, 2016, 01:25:29 AM
Reminded by the Flight of the Burglarator thread:

Explorers (1985) - Starts off with a mystery, then the fun and excitement of flying their new craft, then it goes to shit and the aliens they meet are stupid.

Fuck you dumb film! Flight of the Navigator was better.

Yeah, I agree that is a terrible ending after such an exciting build-up. Even as a kid I remember thinking, "Huh? Is that it?"

At least part of the reason for it though is because the film was released before it was finished. Essentially, the studio kept pushing for an earlier release than Dante was able to deliver, and in the end he was basically forced to give them a rough cut and that was the version that went into cinemas.

Just thought of another one: Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Almost on par with the original for the most part. Funny, super violent, loud, even has a hamtastic English actor as the villain, bad German accent and all. But somewhere along the line, possibly once they're on the boat, maybe the bit with the President riddle or maybe even earlier than that... the film just loses its spark. Topped off with a really boring final showdown, and I think this one ends up falling far shorter than the original than it could have.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 14, 2016, 08:05:54 PM
Just thought of another one: Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Almost on par with the original for the most part. Funny, super violent, loud, even has a hamtastic English actor as the villain, bad German accent and all. But somewhere along the line, possibly once they're on the boat, maybe the bit with the President riddle or maybe even earlier than that... the film just loses its spark. Topped off with a really boring final showdown, and I think this one ends up falling far shorter than the original than it could have.

They were some last minute changes on the third act of this one. Jeremy Irons, for instance, was supposed to escape with the money from the shootout. They added the original ending on the DVD extras, and it's actually quite bleak. It takes place months later in a bar in Hungary, where McClane has finally tracked down Simon Gruber. McClane was fired from the police because of the heist, and he forces Gruber to play some game of Russian roulette with him, which is an excuse to kill him in cold blood.

monolith

Just mentioned it in another thread but Iron Man. Great set up but peters out toward the end and the bad guy is a bit out of the blue and not particularly convincing.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 08, 2016, 09:50:23 AM
Flight of The Navigator is a great kids film but on rewatching it a couple of years ago I quickly got annoyed with the voice the ship uses to sound more accommodating - wacky, Disneyfied, what ever you want to call it. Its a bit Jar Jar(ring). Voice flop!

Fuck yeah! As soon as that U.S TV quiz show voice kicks in the movie nosedives, like a spaceship into the gaping gob hole of Sarlacc.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 08, 2016, 09:50:23 AM

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2016, 08:54:20 PM
Fuck yeah! As soon as that U.S TV quiz show voice kicks in the movie nosedives, like a spaceship into the gaping gob hole of Sarlacc.

Are you guys being ironic or do you genuinely not know/enjoy Pee-wee Herman?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 15, 2016, 09:27:39 PM

Never got Pee Wee Herman.

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 15, 2016, 09:27:39 PM

I'm aware of Pee Wee, and what little I've seen indicates that it is something I wouldn't enjoy. Are you saying that the zany voice of the ship is emulating Herman?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 16, 2016, 05:11:28 PM
I'm aware of Pee Wee, and what little I've seen indicates that it is something I wouldn't enjoy. Are you saying that the zany voice of the ship is emulating Herman?

The ship is voiced by Paul Reubens, AKA Pee Wee.