Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:15:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Paul Draper and Mansun appreciation thread

Started by Vodka Margarine, April 30, 2016, 09:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

I hope that wierd blog is included - was that a 10 years thing? I remember is being a bit odd but appreciated finding out what the fast talking bit was in Shotgun.  Forgotten it now though.

Phil_A

Quote from: Johnny Textface on March 06, 2019, 07:21:02 PM
I hope that wierd blog is included - was that a 10 years thing? I remember is being a bit odd but appreciated finding out what the fast talking bit was in Shotgun.  Forgotten it now though.

God, I remember that. It was fascinating but definitely gave me an inkling Draper might be a bit "peculiar".

Enzo

Quote from: Johnny Textface on March 06, 2019, 07:21:02 PM

ask and ye shall receive http://www.mansun.wiki/index.php?title=Six_10th_Anniversary_Blog_by_Paul_Draper

Head Gardener

been listening through it this morning while reading that blog and I have to admit still one of my fave albums of the 90's

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 06, 2019, 10:18:08 AM
I hadn't considered Mansun since about 2001 and wouldn't have clicked on this thread otherwise - but the last ChartMusicPodcast brought me here. What's going on?
I looked up the podcast and it turns out to be four and a half hours long. When does Mansun crop up?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 07, 2019, 11:03:22 PM
I looked up the podcast and it turns out to be four and a half hours long. When does Mansun crop up?

Listen to it all.
Then all the other episodes.

Custard

Chart Music is the best podcast going. I recently listened to it all from the start, and got up to date only a week or two ago. Fantastic stuff

I am listening to it now. Mansun talk begins at about 2 hour 54 minute mark.

It is indeed a good show, although they're rather labouring the point about Melody Maker's musical conservatism.

Pancake

LOVED Mansun in-period, got all the early EPs, wore out the grooves on the b-side to Stripper Vicar, a song called No One Knows Us, felt alienated by the bondage trousers, only really got into Six later in life but I'm glad the legacy of their first two albums is assured

Pancake

...and the live version of Ski Jump Nose with he AOTGL intro is BEST OF MUSIC

Head Gardener

Johnny Textface

Does anyone know if we're getting the whole package on Spotify at some point? With these sort of things, do they usually hold back the digital streaming until they've had a chance to rake in some £'s from the vinyls? Makes sense but I want to listen to it all. :(  (And I don't buy proper records these days).

daf

The 4CD set only seems to be available from Kscope / Burning Shed at the moment - so there might be 'restrictions'.

Thankfully the sound on the videos here is NOT banjaxed (unlike the phasey warble on the Grey Lantern videos).

(note : The 'Closed for Business' video had fallen between the cracks of the two boxes - but is available on the old Best of CD/DVD package)

The outtakes CD is great - a couple of completely new songs on there :
- There's No Taste Like Heinz
- 8 Bit Drumkit Instrumental Idea
- Dominic Chad
as well as extended versions of 'Fall Out' and a 12 minute 'Cancer' - larded with extra sections (!!)

The b sides left off 'Dead Flowers Reject' CD are included on the outtakes disc, so it's just the single mix/edit of Six that's not included . . .  I think.

Well worth the money (though opting for the £6 belt and braces signed for postage was a waste of time - the postie didn't even hang around for my scribble - Boh!)

purlieu

Quote from: daf on April 02, 2019, 06:02:59 PMso it's just the single mix/edit of Six that's not included . . .  I think.
Another reason to own a copy of the Best Of.

They still haven't put the 21st Anniversary bonus discs of Grey Lantern up on Spotify and that's been out for a couple of years now, so I'm not holding my breath for Six's.

The single edit of Six does seem like a glaring omission. I haven't checked the running time of each disk, but shirley there was room for it on one of them? I suppose it is included as one of the videos on the DVD.

The Dead Flowers Reject disk is marred only by the fact that half of the tracks already appeared on the Kleptomania box set. Then again, If I'd bothered to buy the singles at the time, I'd have heard all of it long ago.

Otherwise it's ultra mega super deluxe. The real value for me has been the packaging itself. I started buying music in the post vinyl era and I've always been sort of agnostic about the physical media itself. As soon as I got my first mp3 player, I pretty much stopped bothering to look at the CDs, instead just ripping them onto the computer and putting them away (Kleptomania and the 2010 Grey Lantern re-release are two notable exceptions to this). Sitting here with this whopping great book on my desk though, I think finally get it. Poring over the details of the artwork and booklet (or, increasingly, a piffling slip of paper) on a little CD jewel case just isn't the same. I'm glad it doesn't fit neatly on a shelf as I feel like it deserves to be hung on the wall or displayed on the mantelpiece. I've been working my way through the book slowly, so as not to rush things (and because I'm a really lazy reader). Bit of a schoolboy error on the pages of old reviews, with some of the clippings placed in the centre of the spread, so that they disappear into the binding - as a graphic designer, I shake my head at this.

purlieu

As a fan of CDs as an actual medium - track skippable, 80 minutes, no surface noise - but a fan of vinyl from an aesthetic perspective, these box sets are my kind of thing. I'm gradually putting together a collection replacing my normal albums - got Manics, Underworld and James ones so far - and they're just lovely things.

daf

"I can't show you all the pages"

. . . (flick, flick, flick) . . .

Goes on to show us all the pages! ;^)

Icehaven

I've just had a brief Facebook conversation with Paul Draper, as there's a new venue called Grey Lantern opening in Brum next month and he was posting about it. I know he's not exactly fame personified but if you told 17 year old me that would ever happen I'd have cried tears of holy joy.

Edit; 17 year old me would also have said "What the hell is Facebook?", but that's by the by.

purlieu

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/mansun-closed-for-business-24cddvd-anniversary-box-set/

QuoteKscope will later this year issue Closed For Business an enormous Mansun box set to mark 25 years since the band emerged onto the UK rock/pop scene. The 24CD+DVD collection features an enormous amount of audio/video content and comes with three books, art prints, postcards and a lyric sheet SIGNED by frontman Paul Draper.

Closed For Business features remastered versions of all four studio albums (Attack of the Grey Lantern, Six, Little Kix, and Kleptomania); five discs of single edits, EP tracks and B-sides (remastered); ten CDs of live performance including Sydney '97, Glastonbury '98; Reading Festival '99 and V2000; a disc of Radio Sessions; four CDs of Demos and Rarities and a DVD with the Brixton Academy gig from 1998 and various TV appearances.

The box set includes a 160-page hardcover book written by renowned music journalist Peter Doggett (he wrote the fab Beatles book, 'You Never Give Me Your Money'). This features photos from fans and photographers around the world, a tour history section, historical and newly commissioned interviews and a full discography.

On top of that there are two more books. A 112-page volume, documenting the official fanzines 'Smelling the Roses', 'Take it Easy' and 'Cult of Positivity' and a 48-page studio book cataloguing "newly discovered archival ephemera".

I'm guessing this is Paul's way of reissuing Little Kix and Kleptomania without having to actually put the attention on them.

Kind of mixed feelings on this. It will be nice to have the bulk of their entire catalogue (including cassette b-sides), but I'm not sure I (or many people) really need ten live albums. Also the not quite complete overlap with previous releases is a bit tedious... the DVD could easily have been a BluRay and included the music videos and audio documentary from the best of, and I'm pretty sure The Dead Flowers Reject is a more enjoyable listen than the arrangement of the b-sides discs here... meaning I'd love to be able to sell Legacy and my Six deluxe set to make a bit of cash towards this and a bit of shelf space, but they both still feel kind of essential alongside it... meaning the box isn't the be-all-and-end-all it could be (see also the handful of b-sides left off the similar Divine Comedy box coming out a few weeks before this).

daf

I'm in - haven't even looked at what's in it yet, but I'm in!

edit : At last!
QuoteDISC 23: 
South of the Painted Hall   

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(To be honest, I'm just relieved he hasn't been caught doing something mad again : seeing the thread pop up I was thinking : "oh god, what's he done now!")

The Mollusk

Ten live albums Jeremy? TEN? That's insane

Blimey. Kscope are really getting their money's worth out of the band.

I'll give it a miss, I think. Barring any Little Kix B-sides, there's nothing here I want, that wasn't already included on at least one of the previous box sets. The books sound interesting, but can't justify the price on their own.

Quote from: daf on July 21, 2020, 08:05:38 PM

(To be honest, I'm just relieved he hasn't been caught doing something mad again : seeing the thread pop up I was thinking : "oh god, what's he done now!")

Same here.

daf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 22, 2020, 03:51:57 PM
there's nothing here I want, that wasn't already included on at least one of the previous box sets.

Finally got round to ordering the big bastard 'Closed for Business' box, & I was having a detailed look at the track-list - to see what the duplication with the AOTGL and SIX boxes would be . . .

I was expecting that they'd just port the BBC sessions and out-takes discs over, but on closer inspection, they're ALL different! Aside from the main albums & B-sides there's no duplication.

Just thought I'd mention it - in case anyone was planning on slinging the earlier sets off on ebay or something.

purlieu

Unboxing video of Closed for Business.
Well, they're certainly giving you your money's worth with that. Probably the biggest boxset I've seen to date. Been pushed back a fortnight, which is fine as I needed that time to save a bit more cash. Looking forward to that book as much as the CDs!

purlieu

Box arrived this morning and I can confirm it's a fucking beast of a thing. The lid seems to take about five minutes to slide off the box it's so big. Looking forward to dipping into this over the coming weeks.

I'm really hoping no more bands I love put out boxes like this next year. This and the Divine Comedy set this year have been exhausting.

daf

Yep - just been doing my usual OCD checking through every disc making sure that everything plays OK.

Only tiny niggle is that the TOTP/Later performances on the DVD are in 24fps - so that ever couple of seconds there's a tiny motion glitch as a frame is removed to accomodate the non-PAL format (thankfully the concert and documentary are in 60fps and don't seem to have any glitches)

Johnny Textface

Bump. Looks like his new album has now dropped. Seems alright. How do I check whether he's been cancelled or not?