Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:35:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Adult Swim Off Cuts

Started by Bored of Canada, May 01, 2016, 05:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I feel so many of the adult swim shows just die on their feet in the threads here, and I haven't really been able to keep up with them.

I've been going back through Harvey Birdman. Haven't seen it in years and I'm surprised how much I still enjoy it, especially since most stuff I revisit doesn't elicit any enjoyment as I slowly grow to die inside.

Similar to Archer and Arrested Development, the sheer density of running random background jokes is pretty entertaining.

Colbert as Phil Ken Sebben and Reducto is a constant delight. Far more than he was when Linehan stole the character and got Chris Morris to play him.

It's just really daft and everyone so confidently pulls off the silly dialogue.

Judy: Where's daddy?
Potamus: Uh...he went on, uh...a...
Potamus Keyzer Soyze's out the window, sees a billboard with 'vacation' that is revealed to be 'honeymoon']
Potamus: vaca...neymoon.
Judy: Vacaneymoon? With Aunt Phyllis? He didn't say anything about--
Potamus: They eloped. Silly kids.
Judy: But elopement's for the wedding, not the vacaneymoon.

I'm thinking of going back through Neon Joe Werewolf Hunter as well next, because that was such a completely underseen show. The second episode with his alter ego erotic novel author obsessed with the romantic tip of the shades is brilliant.

Blumf

One of Adult Swim's late night thingies (same slot as Too Many Cooks), M.O.P.Z.

A tale of a downtrodden school janitor. It's shown as a VHS recording of a crap TV film played back on fast-forward. Similar to a lot of sketches you'd get from 70s/80s comedy shows (Benny Hill, naturally, but without the ladies in underwear), the sped up action leads to natural slapstick humour. There's also a couple of ad breaks that flow through with their own ridiculous premises, barely giving you a chance to register before returning to the main story. Apart from some (mild) grossness, this runs as a very trad comedy, but perfect in execution.

Oh, and it's PFFR

Yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7RyZDMRQTI

Also, from the same segment is This House Has People in It, a voyeuristic horror that, I suspect, owes a bit to
Spoiler alert
The Enigma of Amigara Fault
[close]

Nowhere near as good as MOPZ, but worth a punt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-pj8OtyO2I

Ron Superior

This was lots of fun too:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WXgNo5Smino&feature=youtu.be

Live at the Necropolis: Lords of Synth

Pretty damn specific but some brilliant performances, including Tim from Birthday Boys, and some great laughs

Small Man Big Horse

I love a huge amount of Adult Swim shows, by no means everything (Robot Chicken doesn't do it for me, and I never really got along with The Oblongs) but they've produced some really stunning comedy over the years. And some joyously daft and ridiculous stuff too, I could go on for ages, but I've not the time right now.

Anyway, the AV Club's just run a piece about forthcoming shows, along with renewals.

QuoteAdult Swim just rolled out its plans for dominating late-night viewers' attention, which include the return of Samurai Jack that we first reported on last year. The network will air new half-hour episodes of Genndy Tartakovsky's animated during the 2016-2017 season, though it hasn't announced the actual premiere date yet. There's lots of animation on the slate, which will also extend streaming/business hours so that Adult Swim shows are on all day long.

Adult Swim is also plotting a Robot Chicken: The Walking Dead special that will see Seth Green, Matthew Senreich, and Robert Kirkman join creative forces to tell another story of battling the walking dead, because someone else is already fearing them. The press release was light on the details here as well, but we know the walkers have made their way into Robot Chicken's stop-motion world before. Kirkman "appeared" as himself in the "Zombie Love" parody a few years ago.

Other specials include Funny Or Die's Montana James, about "a feathered-cap-wearing explorer," and Brett Gelman's Dinner in America, which will see the Gelman host a roundtable discussion on racism with actors Loretta Devin, Shareeka Epps (Half Nelson), Joe Morton (Scandal) and The Wire's Mack Wilds.

Elsewhere, Adult Swim notes Rick And Morty will be back, but we already knew that. But Dan Harmon's also teamed up with his Rick And Morty writer Tom Kauffman on the pilot Art Prison, a live-action series that will feature "talented convicts [vying] for one last shot at success inside a Prison for the Performing Arts." It's presumably a scripted series, and not a reality competition, though stranger things have happened. Adult Swim is also touting the pilot for Henry Bonsu's animated Lazor Wulf, which is just what it sounds like, regardless of the spelling. China, IL's Daniel Weidenfeld is executive producing with Bonsu.

Dream Corp, LLC, the workplace comedy from workplace comedy vets John Krasinski and Stephen Merchant, is also in the lineup. The surreal series is set in a rundown dream therapy facility, where "absent-minded professor" Dr. Roberts (Napoleon Dynamite's Jon Gries) and his staff analyze people's dreams. And a whole bunch of other shows are coming back, including The Eric Andre Show, Black Jesus, Neon Joe Werewolf Hunter, The Venture Bros., Check It Out! With Dr. Steve Brule, and Tim & Eric's Bedtime Stories.

But if you're more of a daytime viewer, Adult Swim is now offering a lot of streaming content. There's Stupid Morning Bullshit, a call-in show that covers pop culture news; Crosswords, which is also exactly what it sounds like; Call Of Karaoke (ditto); and FishCenter, which is a "live, daily interactive comedy and game show based around the Adult Swim aquarium," where the losers are presumably flushed down the toilet.

I'm not sure about the streaming content, but everything else sounds good to me.

kitsofan34

It's all about that Brett Gelman special, man. Ridiculously excited for that.

madhair60

Confirmation of more Venture Bros too :)

Petey Pate

Quote from: Blumf on May 08, 2016, 12:07:23 AM
One of Adult Swim's late night thingies (same slot as Too Many Cooks), M.O.P.Z.

A tale of a downtrodden school janitor. It's shown as a VHS recording of a crap TV film played back on fast-forward. Similar to a lot of sketches you'd get from 70s/80s comedy shows (Benny Hill, naturally, but without the ladies in underwear), the sped up action leads to natural slapstick humour. There's also a couple of ad breaks that flow through with their own ridiculous premises, barely giving you a chance to register before returning to the main story. Apart from some (mild) grossness, this runs as a very trad comedy, but perfect in execution.

Oh, and it's PFFR

Yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7RyZDMRQTI

This is a work of art.  Thanks very much for sharing it.

Should point out that although it's produced by PFFR Chapman and Lee don't appear to have any creative involvement with it.  It's really the work of a director named Todd Rudhall.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/screens/2016-04-12/fun-with-m-o-p-z-at-2am/

Small Man Big Horse

This should be fun:

QuoteAdult Swim orders Hindenburg-based comedy from Rob Corddry

The doctors of Childrens Hospital finally got out of the computer simulation of Brazil that the show took place in earlier this year when the series ended, but seriescreator Rob Corddry is already back with another quarter-hour live-action comedy series. Called The Hindenburg Explodes!, Deadline reports it will take place during the famous zeppelin's final trip from Germany to New Jersey, and will follow the ship's "unusual crew and passengers" as they gently float toward their fiery deaths. That may sound like an odd setup for a comedy show, but considering the weird directions that Childrens Hospital went in over the years, The Hindenburg Explodes! could easily be just as wacky as that show was.

In addition to Corddry, Hindenburg comes from Wedlock writer Josh Perilo and Childrens Hospital/NTSF:SD:SUV/Newsreaders veteran Jonathan Stern. There's no word on when Hindenburg will premiere or who will star, but hopefully some of the famous faces that stopped by Childrens Hospital will be involved.

I personally enjoy Frisky Dingo, and think it's the best of Adam Reed/70/30/Floyd County shows, it was definitely the in-between show of Sealab 2021 and Archer, with Sealab's more balls-to-the-wall absurdity with Archer's more story-based/call back/dialogue-style. Whilst Sealab starts off strong but then kinda falls off the rails near the end, and i always found Archer a bit hit and miss, I think Frisky Dingo nailed it perfectly. Unfortunately it only lasted a couple of seasons.

hedgehog90

New season of Check it Out started a couple days ago. Haven't seen it yet, was the first ep any good?

Ron Superior

Quote from: hedgehog90 on June 19, 2016, 10:36:08 PM
New season of Check it Out started a couple days ago. Haven't seen it yet, was the first ep any good?

It was! Absolutely more of the same, but that's fine by me. None of the real darkness that had been creeping in over the last couple of seasons, just lots of Steve being Steve.

hedgehog90

Sounds good! It's tradition to watch all the good adult swim stuff with my brother, so I'm stockpiling them until I next see him.

Any idea what's going on with The Eric Andre Show? I remember a new season was announced over a year ago but there's been no new details since.

I think new Eric Andre's premiering when Check it Out/Decker are wrapped up.

Duckula

Quote from: Master Cylinder on June 23, 2016, 02:33:49 AM
I think new Eric Andre's premiering when Check it Out/Decker are wrapped up.

Great news. I think I created a thread about Eric Andre on here years ago...

H Scorn

Quote from: Ron Superior on June 21, 2016, 07:54:07 PM
It was! Absolutely more of the same, but that's fine by me. None of the real darkness that had been creeping in over the last couple of seasons, just lots of Steve being Steve.
It was a bit disappointing I thought,  it's lost 'something' I can't pin down.
It reminded me more of the lacklustre Bag Boy than Check it Out.
Steve Brule: The Sitcom

The only bits that made me laugh out loud were the Scott Clam video glitches and that's a repeated joke from past seasons.

Small Man Big Horse

Two one off's that I saw recently:

The Hopes - A previously unaired pilot from Derrick Beckles (Hot Package, Totally For Teen) leaked on to myspleen a while back. It's a spoof of late 80s / early 90's sitcoms with an interracial couple and their two disabled sons, this screenshot should give you the gist:

And whilst you can't really tell from that grab, that is Courtney Love playing the wife there and she's not bad either. It's a slightly surreal affair, with an off kilter feel to the way it's shot, and funny at times, but it definitely lacks something and I'm not in any way upset it wasn't given a series order.

Adult Swim's Golf Classic - It's a pretty simple concept, in that we watch Adam Scott and Jon Daly play golf for twenty minutes, with the (not really a) twist being that whilst they're trying as hard as they can, they're genuinely shit at the sport. Meanwhile it's commentated upon by two famous real life golf experts, and whilst they're are no really big laughs, it's constantly amusing throughout and a fun way to spend 20 minutes..

Small Man Big Horse

The first episode of Brad Neely's Harg Nallin Sclopio Peepio aired last night, an eleven minute animated sketch show. I loved Neely's China IL, but this didn't really work for me unfortunately. There was the odd vaguely amusing bit like Donald Sutherland crisps, but most of the rest of it left me cold. Perhaps it'll develop over time, and I read in an interview that Baby Cakes makes a couple of appearances which I'm looking forward to, but I can't really recommend it right now.

Bumping this to ask if anyone's been watching Million Dollar Extreme Presents: World Peace?

A lot of people will compare it to Tim & Eric, but they seem like they're going more for a PFFR type thing (one bit in the latest one is quite similar to Wonder Showzen's "Slaves" bit I reckon) but their political commentary is "alt-right" and "red-pilled" and the type of thing the stereotypical Redditor/4chaner would eat up and generally the type of political/social views I do not agree and can't get past with this.

I dunno, can you still laugh at comedy you don't agree with? I haven't really found it funny. With this it seems like you really need to be on their wavelength/belief system to find some of it funny, I feel also it's weirdly angry at women and I dunno. They clearly have a good eye for visuals and music, and I dunno, it almost frustrates how I usually dig nihilistic, surreal comedy but I'm absolutely repulsed by their politics (They also have a YouTube channel before having the show that I've dipped into and...yeah)

I dunno, what do you guys think?

Small Man Big Horse

I knew very very little about them before watching it, other than that they'd had a youtube channel for ages (and that for some reason this is the fifth episode made, but first broadcast), but I can't say it really did anything for me. Like you say, some of the visuals and music sometimes combine to make for an interesting moment, yet I don't remember laughing and only smiled a few times. I also got the feeling that in someone else's hands these ideas could have been handled so much more interestingly, which isn't a good sign. As they're so short I'll probably check out a couple more, but I'd be surprised if I end up loving the show.

ajsmith

Quote from: Master Cylinder on August 13, 2016, 12:08:55 PM
Bumping this to ask if anyone's been watching Million Dollar Extreme Presents: World Peace?

A lot of people will compare it to Tim & Eric, but they seem like they're going more for a PFFR type thing (one bit in the latest one is quite similar to Wonder Showzen's "Slaves" bit I reckon) but their political commentary is "alt-right" and "red-pilled" and the type of thing the stereotypical Redditor/4chaner would eat up and generally the type of political/social views I do not agree and can't get past with this.

I dunno, can you still laugh at comedy you don't agree with? I haven't really found it funny. With this it seems like you really need to be on their wavelength/belief system to find some of it funny, I feel also it's weirdly angry at women and I dunno. They clearly have a good eye for visuals and music, and I dunno, it almost frustrates how I usually dig nihilistic, surreal comedy but I'm absolutely repulsed by their politics (They also have a YouTube channel before having the show that I've dipped into and...yeah)

I dunno, what do you guys think?

It's a bit of a breakthrough moment for the alt right for a show with those politics to be given the nod by Adult Swim. Another sign of how things are (possibly) really turning a corner for that crew. Crazy really.

It is an interesting question though.. things like 'The Wall' sketch in the latest edition, are probably meant to deal with uncomfortable universal truths about the selfishness of modern western women that the liberal media refuses to acknowledge, whereas when I watch something like that it largely rings false rather than brutal as the 'spoiled princess looking for a loaded sugar daddy' archetype just isn't anywhere near as prevalent in reality as I've experienced it as it is in the rants and statistics of MRA and MGTOW echo chambers. But I'm sure it just appears that way to me cos I'm a brainwashed libtard.

Interestingly, if you check the mde reddit, a surprising amount of the posters openly state that they don't agree with mde's politics, or like them in spite of them. A lot of them are also very into Tim and Eric, also despite Tim's politics and that fact that the main MDE guy Sam Hyde disparages the comparison.

Things are getting so fragmented, with a lot of comedy on the air very left wing, it was going to be a matter of time before something like this got on the air. I assume Adult Swim saw a niche to be filled and took it? Although apparently they haven't been promoting it much. and have censored some things from it (walls of text, the Aurora shooter's logo, hahaha, the Aurora shooter's logo, what if that did get on there, hahaha lol so edgy cause he killed a bunch of people haha lol)

Also I'm guessing the "Jews Rock" bit is some sort of insightful commentary on how Jews run and use the media as a brainwashing tool. Or something.

That and some of the over-the-top violence in the first episode towards (well not violence, aggression at the very end with the cops) and an upcoming sketch that was previewed where someone's wife is tripped, and they get up with their face all bloody and it lingers on it

There's a lot of comedy I can laugh at that have different viewpoints than me, I guess the ultimate problem I have with MDE besides their politics is just I don't think they're very funny

At least now we know the answer to the question: what if MRAs were given a sketch show? A question no one asked.

I'm cool with being exposed to different political comedy, but yeah, the clips that I watched were shit.

I have an immense amount of respect for Adult Swim but I'm tired of using the lazy shelling of warped absurdity. I know it's not like Tim and Eric invented it, but they're the best comparison as they popularised it.
I'm sick of moody slowed down vapourwave music over slow mo screams as things suddenly go all wrong and violent.

Comedy's about delivery, which is about surprise, and it doesn't surprise me anymore.

wobinidan

I really see Million Dollar Extreme and Sam Hyde in particular as apolitical. Having followed his channel for years, he seems less interested in following an agenda, and more interested in annoying self-righteous people who are creating new taboos, who are overwhelmingly on the left. So there's an overlap with the alt-right, but that doesn't make him part of the alt-right, they just like him because they think he's validating their views, which he really isn't.

If you take Officer Maggot, which is probably my favourite video on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g-nniO1WN4 then it's perfectly clear that he's playing a satire of a bigoted cop, but check out the comments and there are plenty of racist idiots taking it at face value. So it's no wonder that people take the more subtle stuff at face value. But that's not his fault.

The Adult Swim show is quite a let down though. The youtube channel has always been hit or miss, but the two episodes so far seem like a string of misses, not even really nailing the MDE aesthetic which can be really original and interesting on youtube.

Blumf

We've talked about these people before:

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40079.0

We didn't really like them.

Quote from: syntaxerror on January 07, 2014, 05:57:13 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but we all think its shit.

Jakey Chesterton

Sam Hyde states his views here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/milliondollarextreme/comments/3luw09/is_mde_becoming_more_right_leaning_from_a/cva0nd2

It seems to me that his act is often an exaggerated expression of the stuff he believes. MDE's presence in circles where you wouldn't expect it[nb]Really did not expect them to get on Adult Swim...[/nb] reminds me of a similar situation with the neonazi hacker/troll Weev[nb]Openly praises Hitler and the Holocaust; has large swastika tattooed on chest. Is also friends or at least acquainted with Sam Hyde.[/nb], who is welcome at culturally progressive tech-conferences; has had favourable/supportive articles written about him by Laurie Penny and Molly Crabapple etc. . Contrast that with, e.g., the opprobrium heaped on some awkward/childish but meek nerds during that donglegate thing. I think this partly might be because it's been a trend to be primarily on the watch for and have maximum outrage triggered by subtly 'problematic' stuff from slightly errant fellow-travellers, which is a dynamic that Hyde and Weev and so on obviously don't fit into.

Thought a fair bit of their youtube stuff is funny; watched about half of the 'the wall' episode of this and it wasn't.

They seem to list stuff like PFFR/Chris Morris as influences but have seemed to completely miss the point of both.

Quite frankly it just gives me a hankering for a new PFFR/Vernon Chatman & John Lee show.

ajsmith

I think MDE may have started off as apolitical, but that in recent years they've definitely edged decidedly alt right. In fact there's another very salient Sam Hyde reddit writing that's worth reading here, where he goes as far as to say that 'apolitical' comedy is impossible in the current climate:

https://www.reddit.com/r/milliondollarextreme/comments/3l8zov/essential_sam_post_on_comedy_and_underlying/

Petey Pate

Quote from: ajsmith on August 13, 2016, 05:10:47 PMA lot of them are also very into Tim and Eric, also despite Tim's politics and that fact that the main MDE guy Sam Hyde disparages the comparison.

Tim's real political views or his pretend right wing ones?

I only really know Sam Hyde from his TED talk parody which Retinend (iirc) posted on here a couple years ago.  It's quite funny but ruined by the amount that he corpses during it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yFhR1fKWG0

I'm guessing that MDE are Trump supporters.

ajsmith

Quote from: Petey Pate on August 16, 2016, 10:09:45 AM
Tim's real political views or his pretend right wing ones?

His real left wing ones - and I know I just said MDE are too alt right for a lot of their fanbase, but I think in general a lot of both groups fanbases are apolitical, nihilistic or somewhere in the middle and would just prefer that the personal politics were not brought into it at all. Which is not to say that a significant part of the MDE fanbase aren't reveling in the redpilling being brought to an AS audience just now.

Tim's political stuff doesn't really inform Tim & Eric, although MDE's political views are a part of what's for sale, It's easier to ignore Tim's politics if you just want to watch Tim & Eric, but his solo stuff/On Cinema/Decker stuff with the ring-wing mockery might be another thing...

Being on MDE's reddit, there's a section of their fanbase that is truly toxic. There's a section of Tim & Eric's fanbase that are wanky, pretentious hipsters, but i can handle pretentious hipsters better than some of this mob.