Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:35:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Adult Swim Off Cuts

Started by Bored of Canada, May 01, 2016, 05:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ant Farm Keyboard

Mr. Neighbor's House 2 has leaked, three weeks after broadcast.

Hymenoptera

Anyone see Dayworld? It's an oddly soothing, quietly sinister, semi-motion-captured pilot that AS put up a few weeks ago. I loved it, reminded me of a more chilled-out Xavier: Renegade Angel, and had a lot of Wham City/Alan Resnick about it too (I think Resnick was even involved with some of the animation).

kilgore

I enjoyed the shit out of Dayworld, and hope it gets made very soon.

Here is the pilot

Twed

Must be Alan Resnick. Day looks just like him, and it has his hallmark mastery of the uncanny valley.

Twed

Dayworld is so good. The babyman's uncomfortable man swagger. Their constant grinning disconnect from reality. Fuck, Resnick is good at this stuff.

I can't imagine how you'd pitch or plan this before it was made. Must have been the result of dicking around with 3D animation. You couldn't do this if you didn't mess around with animation in your spare time.

Tim Heidecker voicing the PR/agent man.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 09, 2018, 09:44:45 PM
Derrick Beckles' Mostly 4 Millennials started last week, with two episodes airing every Sunday. I've watched two so far and do enjoy it, but it's very noticeable that Eric Andre is one of the main writers as it's a mix of studio based madness and hidden camera pranks. I preferred Hot Package and it's a shame there's no more of that to come, but this is worth checking out nonetheless.

I found it amusing. If you can look past it being pretty much Eric Andre Show 2.0 it's good, and I watched episodes three and four and it's gotten better

Shaky

Dayworld genuinely made me feel a bit nauseous, in a good way if that's possible. Like a flu-dream. Evokes those batshit crazy algorithmic kids videos on Youtube that got people hot under the collar recently (presumably intentionally?).

Blumf

I kinda liked Dayworld, the mentioned woozy visuals in particular, but it felt like it was missing some depth to it.

Hymenoptera

Quote from: Twed on July 11, 2018, 12:05:56 AM
Must be Alan Resnick. Day looks just like him, and it has his hallmark mastery of the uncanny valley.

It's actually Jay Weingarten, but yeah, Day looks the spit of Resnick (who did the opening animation for them). The uncanny valley in Dayworld is great - Tim Heidecker's character has his face almost perfect, so the disjointed motion-capture movement is terrifying/hilarious. Dole fucking around with the lightswitch in the hospital, asking people about birthdays, Day's to-do list ominously having "investigate the sound" written on it... I really badly want to see more of this.

Twed

Quote from: Hymenoptera on July 12, 2018, 05:31:17 PM
It's actually Jay Weingarten, but yeah, Day looks the spit of Resnick (who did the opening animation for them).
Alan Resnick is all over the credits for this. He's the art director, which makes sense.

Quote from: Hymenoptera on July 12, 2018, 05:31:17 PMDole fucking around with the lightswitch in the hospital, asking people about birthdays
Agreed. In that scene they have so many levels of uncanny going on. Dole's swagger, the way he asks the same questions about birthdays to everybody and gives inane responses, the way he walks away from the answers, the way he acknowledges the medical staff trying to get him to leave but just starts fiddling with the switch instead. The disconnect between his reactions and the situation make him seem programmed to respond to social graces to hide the lack of a soul or some deep sinister intent.

fucking ponderous

Quote from: Blumf on July 11, 2018, 02:16:50 PM
I kinda liked Dayworld, the mentioned woozy visuals in particular, but it felt like it was missing some depth to it.
I agree with this. I liked the way it looked and especially liked the character of Dole, but I didn't really like the whole "people use the internet too much these days and expect instant gratification" angle. It seemed a bit self-righteous, it's already well-trodden territory, and what's more, it wasn't all that funny.

RedRevolver

I found a lot of the 'Infomercials' to be hilarious. Broomshakalaka's probably my favourite, but that's because of the rather convincing upswing in the story arc, despite being 10 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt2uIhAvQZ8

Twed

Quote from: fucking ponderous on July 12, 2018, 09:23:20 PM
I agree with this. I liked the way it looked and especially liked the character of Dole, but I didn't really like the whole "people use the internet too much these days and expect instant gratification" angle. It seemed a bit self-righteous, it's already well-trodden territory, and what's more, it wasn't all that funny.
I didn't feel like that was the main point. I think it's just something to work the plot around. I think it's an exploration of the antics of people who just don't sit right in this world. I don't think it needs a message.

spamwangler

Quote from: fucking ponderous on July 12, 2018, 09:23:20 PM

Yea I agree on this - maybe there's a plan on subverting said Web based instant gratification plot as it goes on, but currently the plot feels less well thought out than everything else. Great music by Jerry paper also

non capisco

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 27, 2018, 03:31:16 AM
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/infomercials/final-deployment-4-queen-battle-walkthrough

This just in: new Adult Swim video by the "Too Many Cooks" guy. The less said the better. This is amazing.

That is astonishing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 10, 2018, 06:13:08 PM
Mr. Neighbor's House 2 has leaked, three weeks after broadcast.

I quite liked the first one, and am fond of the creative team in general, but this just left me feeling cold. It was of interest, sure, but I didn't find it that funny and the general idea's been done before.

C_Larence

Quote from: Blumf on July 11, 2018, 02:16:50 PM

I think that depth in this case could mean a single laugh. It looked cool, but it was just people saying things.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 14, 2018, 09:55:21 PM
I quite liked the first one, and am fond of the creative team in general, but this just left me feeling cold. It was of interest, sure, but I didn't find it that funny and the general idea's been done before.

Same. I enjoyed the segment with the teens for its ridiculousness, but the point of the original special was that it showed the horrors that could creep behind even the most innocent stuff. As soon as you handle a wide scope of programs, it isn't as effective.
And it was a waste of Mary Holland.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 09, 2018, 09:44:45 PM
Derrick Beckles' Mostly 4 Millennials started last week, with two episodes airing every Sunday. I've watched two so far and do enjoy it, but it's very noticeable that Eric Andre is one of the main writers as it's a mix of studio based madness and hidden camera pranks. I preferred Hot Package and it's a shame there's no more of that to come, but this is worth checking out nonetheless.

Yeah I felt that Beckles was basically playing the role of Eric Andre, which is a shame because Beckles has his own unique approach to comedy. I was expecting there to be some use of found footage (as there was in the original Totally For Teens pilot) but instead of that its gross out humour and pranks rammed up to the max.

VelourSpirit

https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1019330803531112448
Dayworld didn't get picked up. Not really surprised but it was great. Really hope the creators get to do something else.

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 17, 2018, 09:30:21 AM
Yeah I felt that Beckles was basically playing the role of Eric Andre, which is a shame because Beckles has his own unique approach to comedy. I was expecting there to be some use of found footage (as there was in the original Totally For Teens pilot) but instead of that its gross out humour and pranks rammed up to the max.

Listening to the recent Poundcast with Derrick Beckles, it sounds like clearing the footage for Hot Package was a nightmare so I kinda get why he wouldn't want to do that again.

The pranks/stunts are at least formatted and contextualised a bit differently then on Eric Andre, but the interviews kinda just feel like doing stuff he would do but not as well. Maybe it would've worked better if they treated these social media stars with over-the-top unwarranted reverence ala the interviews on Hot Package?

Duckula

Nothing in MFM is as good as FABIO'S PHOTOS

zomgmouse

Just watched both episodes of Mr Neighbor's House, very good stuff indeed.

jake thunder

Bit of a bump, but for fans of Dayworld, you might like the new podcast from Jay Weingarten and his partner Matthew Goldin - Up Close and Personal:

https://anchor.fm/up-close-and-personal
or
https://open.spotify.com/show/44rekz3o24xWnnvOvmiZlI

Clownbaby

The last Adult Swim cartoon I watched was Brad Neely's Harg Nallin' Sclopio Peepio (the name drew me in). Anyone seen that? From what I could be bothered to watch it was a bit crap. Adult Swim's Luxury Comedy

Dewt

Never agreed with anybody that Brad Neely is good, despite their protests. This one thing he did stuck with me though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ0Sys0ySkE

Bit optimistic, that.

Blumf

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 27, 2020, 11:33:01 PM
The last Adult Swim cartoon I watched was Brad Neely's Harg Nallin' Sclopio Peepio (the name drew me in). Anyone seen that? From what I could be bothered to watch it was a bit crap. Adult Swim's Luxury Comedy

Yeah, it was a let down after China, Il, and his American Now shorts.

Seems like he's got a new show in production for CBS, The Harper House

https://deadline.com/2020/01/cbs-all-access-orders-the-harper-house-animated-comedy-series-brad-neely-katie-krentz-1202828230/
Quote"It's the big animated family show for the 21st century with a fun fallible lady up front and a neurotic husband at home," said Brad Neely. "Katie Krentz and I have been talking about this for years, and we know the folks at CBS Television Studios and CBS All Access get it. This will be crazy fun."

Eehh.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blumf on April 28, 2020, 09:48:53 AM
Yeah, it was a let down after China, Il, and his American Now shorts.

I just wanted to echo this, China, Il was a show which grew and grew on me until I really loved it, but I didn't get on with the sketch show at all, and ended up missing a few episodes, dipping in once in a while to see if it had improved only to walk away disappointed.

Adult Swim has start releasing online commencement speeches done by Adult Swim personalities and characters, with this latest one by Xavier: Renegade Angel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEde0K7Ynvw