Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread

Started by hewantstolurkatad, May 02, 2016, 05:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 02, 2016, 04:19:06 AM
Not even bothering to make Roman look strong now, just presenting him as an inevitability. He's getting late 2000's Cena/1980's Hogan booking. Kicks out of everyone's finishers, hits one of his own after the opponent does most of the work, clean pin.
I would say that's quite unfair on Cena and Hogan.

Hogan was always outstanding and selling when he needed to and knew how to wrap an audience around his little finger. Even if what he was doing was counterituitive to the booking, Hogan was working pretty damn well. Cena's ridiculous track record of not getting injured hides just how much he gave throughout his career, often too the point of stupidity[nb]to be fair to Reigns, given his build they'd be out of their minds to let him do anything risky at all. His inevitable long time out on the sidelines is pretty much my only hope for him fucking off now[/nb], and his shameless confidence in his character with its relentless pandering to the younger audience played a pretty huge part in keeping him popular with kids.

Roman, on the other hand, hardly acknowledges that there is an audience watching and when he does it's painfully rehearsed.
He's Diesel, without the threat of a rival opposition.

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on May 02, 2016, 05:47:11 AM
I would say that's quite unfair on Cena and Hogan.

True, true, perhaps a step too far there. Both were fantastic for working bloody hard to get the crowd invested in even the most dismal of match-ups. Hogan had a nasty habit of burying people's finishers by kicking out on the one count, however, so I guess we should be grateful Roman doesn't stoop to that.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 02, 2016, 06:03:19 AM
True, true, perhaps a step too far there. Both were fantastic for working bloody hard to get the crowd invested in even the most dismal of match-ups. Hogan had a nasty habit of burying people's finishers by kicking out on the one count, however, so I guess we should be grateful Roman doesn't stoop to that.
Roman hasn't the personal drive to do something like that.

up_the_hampipe

So Shane is actually sticking around for good it seems. I was sure he just came back to give Wrestlemania a boost and he stuck around for a few more weeks to keep the fans happy. I guess he's not needed at his Chinese VOD business.

BRen

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 02, 2016, 06:07:11 PM
So Shane is actually sticking around for good it seems. I was sure he just came back to give Wrestlemania a boost and he stuck around for a few more weeks to keep the fans happy. I guess he's not needed at his Chinese VOD business.
Last I read he was getting sued by/with that company or something? Obviously the reliability of the following site is dubious at best but the same story seemed to be circulating a few weeks back:
http://prowrestling.net/site/2016/04/12/shane-mcmahon-and-you-on-demand-sued-over-short-swing-stock-profit/

Dex Sawash

I've read an entire wrestling thread now.

Benjaminos

Dunno who it was in the other thread who suggested Lucha Underground, but I'm working my way through the first season at the moment, and it is splendid.

It really does put RAW to shame - 45 minutes of basically non-stop action, compared to RAW's flabby two and a half-hour boreathon. I don't want to listen to the New Day spout bollocks for twenty minutes, I want to watch a midget and a dragon kick the shit out of each other.

Didn't really like Vampiro much at the beginning as a colour commentator, but the sheer glee he takes in people getting a boot to the face has won me over.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Benjaminos on May 03, 2016, 04:04:20 PM
It really does put RAW to shame - 45 minutes of basically non-stop action, compared to RAW's flabby two and a half-hour boreathon. I don't want to listen to the New Day spout bollocks for twenty minutes, I want to watch a midget and a dragon kick the shit out of each other.

If there are people down on New Day out of all things on Raw, then we really have no hope of ever getting what we want from Vince.

Utter Shit

I got a bit bored of them for a while but they've shaken things up again and it feels fresh again. Their collective reaction to Big E stumbling over his bit about the WWE Network was so good. "I recovered it...yes.".

Benjaminos

People like the New Day? But why?

Big E's hip gyrations make me feel sick.

up_the_hampipe

Ryback looks to be done with WWE (unless there are a lot of changes, according to him). There were rumours all day that he'd been sent home from Raw after a contract dispute with Vince and now the man himself has clarified things in a blog post http://thebigguyryback22.tumblr.com/post/143803724226/feed-me-more

Quite funny how similar this is to the CM Punk situation. I think Meltzer said that Ryback mimicking Punk's entrance on Sunday was him hinting at his frustrations.

Quote from: Benjaminos on May 03, 2016, 10:13:07 PM
People like the New Day? But why?

Charismatic, funny, have character unlike the fucking Usos.

Deanjam

Quote from: The Ryback on May 03, 2016, 10:14:32 PM
Wrestling is pre determined, we as performers know before we go out to that ring or perform a backstage scene who is winning and losing etc or have a general idea of what we are going to say.

Benjaminos

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 03, 2016, 10:14:32 PM
Charismatic

No. Big E does that gross tongue thing, Xavier Woods has the smuggest face that makes me want to smack him, and Kofi is just a non-entity.

funny

Fuck no. Unless repeatedly saying 'booty' in various contexts that don't make any sense is considered a joke. Edit: I suppose the trombone is kind of funny, but I'm still always relieved whenever someone smashes it up.

have character unlike the fucking Usos.

Yeah, fair enough.

hummingofevil

If seeing a 300lb, powerlifting-national-record-holding, gyrating black man with a chest the size of a house, dressed in a pink leotard whilst simultaneous advertising a fake breakfast cereal and wearing a unicorn horn borderline sex toy doesn't make you smile I can't help you.

"Don't you dare be SOUR!!"

Ja'moke

And the fact that the New Day can wrestle helps. That 8 man tag on Raw was really good!

Mobius

Can anyone recommend me some good/funny wrestling podcasts? I don't really have time for 3 hours of Raw and I'm not big on twitter and stuff, so I feel a bit lost during the week with all the goings on.

leighhart

thank fuck Ryback is gone
no sympy here either just fuck off and stick to blogging
re podcasts try The New Generation podcast for a start

Penfold

Quote from: Mobius on May 04, 2016, 03:40:38 AM
Can anyone recommend me some good/funny wrestling podcasts? I don't really have time for 3 hours of Raw and I'm not big on twitter and stuff, so I feel a bit lost during the week with all the goings on.

Cheap Heat seems to be popular and covers current events.

I've only listened to it a couple of times and one of the main hosts recently left so no idea if it has changed in quality.

up_the_hampipe

Darren Young is apparently being repackaged with Bob Backlund as his manager/life coach. There was a segment on this week's Smackdown to set it up. Weird but I like it.

Ja'moke

Apparently Young actually pitched it too.

George Oscar Bluth II

I just spent the past couple of hours watching Payback and it was pretty good I thought. They can do good shows if they want.

I even sort of enjoyed them teasing us with an AJ Styles championship win.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 04, 2016, 02:39:41 PM
Darren Young is apparently being repackaged with Bob Backlund as his manager/life coach. There was a segment on this week's Smackdown to set it up. Weird but I like it.
Quote from: Ja'moke on May 04, 2016, 07:51:32 PM
Apparently Young actually pitched it too.
...and suddenly I really like Darren Young!

Potentially a very good pairing, Backlund might be too big of a personality to be an effective manager though.

Custard

They should put him with Eric Young, and call them The Youngs

(with Bob Backlund)

Spiteface

Is Rusev even trying to put on an accent now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C6kln6pKKM

Also, still bends my mind that him and Lana are a real couple. There's hope for all of us...

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Spiteface on May 05, 2016, 11:43:39 AM
Is Rusev even trying to put on an accent now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C6kln6pKKM

Also, still bends my mind that him and Lana are a real couple. There's hope for all of us...

He naturally does have an accent like that, I think. He is really Bulgarian after all.

As for the Lana thing, he's a pretty handsome guy, definitely strong and muscular. I wouldn't get too hopeful[nb]I'm sure you're gorgeous though mate[/nb].

spanky

Rusev seems like one of those who could kill you in seconds but is actually a lovely man. Him and Mark Henry.

Gulftastic

Fans of New Day should check out this week's Blue Peter. It's not as much fun as when the Miz was flirting with Helen Skelton, but it wasn't too bad.

up_the_hampipe

Hornswoggle, Alex Riley and Zeb Colter released https://www.wwe.com/article/hornswoggle-alex-riley-released

Tragic losses.

Deanjam

Finally got round to releasing Santino too I see. A real list of 'They were still working for WWE?'

Although I do think Colter could have been put to a good use. Hell of a talker.