Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:07:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread

Started by hewantstolurkatad, May 02, 2016, 05:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 21, 2016, 06:53:28 PM
Cody Rhodes has asked for his release. That's Sandow, Barrett and Rhodes gone within a month.

Ah, fuck. :(

Deanjam

Possible spoiler for tonight from PWI Insider

Spoiler alert
Seth Rollins is in New Jersey for the Extreme Rules PPV and is also slated to be at this week's TV tapings.
[close]

Dannyhood91

Corey Graves neck reminds me of my Nans wallpaper.

up_the_hampipe

So Shane McMahon is doing a special interview with Mick Foley on the Network tomorrow. They are describing it as a "tell-all podcast". Foley doesn't have a podcast, does he? Does Vince think "podcast" means "shoot interview"?

gmoney

The 4-way match is well worth anyone's time. Great fun.

Custard

Rhodes has put out a statement regarding his release, but it appears he wanted to give up the Stardust character and Vince didn't cos he loves it. So that's that

He'll be Global Force champ by lunchtime

Utter Shit

Extreme Rules spoilers ahead...

Spoiler alert
Fucking hell that pop for Rollins. Suddenly I am ridiculously excited about wrestling again. Rollins is the fucking guy.

The 4-way was fantastic. Just pure entertainment from start to finish. The Asylum match was pretty boring but for a few awesome/horrible spots - the slam onto the tacks in particular, but also the whips to the face. Jericho is the man for still being willing to take that sort of punishment.
[close]

rjd2

Say no to spoiler text.

The 4 way was top fun, Ambrose v Y2J went at least 10 minutes to long, props to Jericho for doing that spot, but in 2016 he should not be wrestling 20 minute matches. The girls tried, but nobody really cared which when you consider how often we have seen the match, how predictable the outcome was and the lack of Ric was to be expected.

Main event was fine, no issue with Roman winning, although yeah awesome to Seth back.

Deanjam

Quote from: rjd2 on May 23, 2016, 01:25:29 PM

The 4 way was top fun, Ambrose v Y2J went at least 10 minutes to long

Apparently it was supposed to go ten minutes shorter but a segment was cancelled and they took on the extra load.

up_the_hampipe

The whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" saying really does work. I didn't really care for Rollins while he was around (great wrestler but too Triple H-y on the mic) but I'm very excited to see him back, especially considering now The Authority has pretty much dissolved.

I hoped this time off would have given them a chance to give him a new finisher though. He's too talented to follow Haitch's footsteps.

Obel

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 23, 2016, 02:18:01 PM
I hoped this time off would have given them a chance to give him a new finisher though. He's too talented to follow Haitch's footsteps.

Yeah the pedigree just doesn't suit him at all. I miss the curb stomp, was a perfect move for him.

leighhart

Aj and Reigns had a MOTY contender, these two have incredible chemistry and I hope they dont move Reigns straight into a Rollins feud because theres a lot of juice left
Roman has come into his own during these AJ matches and his work has been top knotch, the ass kicking surly tweener works much better than the "Aw shucks youre being mean" Cena ite
That Jericho Ambrose match was fucking awful, since Mania Ambrose has come off as a complete mug

up_the_hampipe

GOOD NEWS: Smackdown is going to be LIVE which means no more fake pops.
BAD NEWS: There's going to be a brand split. I can't tell you how much I wanted that shit gone when it was still around. Limits the feuding possibilities, makes certain titles seem less important and thins out the roster (which is too thin already). 

Article http://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/article/smackdown-live-usa-network-july-19?sf26901739=1

Ja'moke

I'm actually really happy for a Brand Split, I just wish they'd cut Raw back down to 2 hours before they do it.

But this gives them the chance to actually give everyone more prominent story-lines and hopefully elevate all the titles. Put the IC champ on Smackdown and make it the equivalent of the WWE title.

up_the_hampipe

But why do they need a brand split for that? They have a 3 hour Raw and a 2 hour Smackdown every week. They just need better creative. The brand split gives them limitations.

Ja'moke

True. But this also gives the roster a night off, which is a very good thing given all the recent injuries.

Deanjam

The brand split could stop them giving away new matches too cheaply. Kurt Angle & Shawn Michaels were kept apart for 3 years because of the original brand split, which made their eventual match feel special. It all depends how much they adhere to it. Hampipe's right that better creative decisions would be best, but in the current world this may help make WWE's TV a bit better.

Or it could be shit.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on May 25, 2016, 04:14:06 PM
The brand split could stop them giving away new matches too cheaply. Kurt Angle & Shawn Michaels were kept apart for 3 years because of the original brand split, which made their eventual match feel special.

I feel like they already have that with NXT though. Of course, it's not the same level, but it's two separate rosters. NXT is an introduction for some of the best wrestlers from around the world and eventually they'll get called up and the dream matches will happen.

When I think of the brand split, I think of the days where it was like Sheamus vs. Del Rio for the WHC on four PPVs in a row.

Deanjam

That was the brand split when it had gone to buggery. It was best around 2003-2006. Like all things it comes down to how they approach it.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 25, 2016, 04:31:29 PM
I feel like they already have that with NXT though.

I do wonder how this will affect NXT. All their top players will surely get moved up now.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on May 25, 2016, 04:53:39 PM
That was the brand split when it had gone to buggery. It was best around 2003-2006. Like all things it comes down to how they approach it.

Indeed. But the success of the brand split was down to a roster stacked to the nuts with stars. They are spreading themselves quite thin now, which is why I'm scared of a return to the buggery era.

Deanjam

Yeah, and makes it doubly odd that they're released a bunch of talents recently.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 25, 2016, 05:22:32 PM
Indeed. But the success of the brand split was down to a roster stacked to the nuts with stars. They are spreading themselves quite thin now, which is why I'm scared of a return to the buggery era.
When you consider Smackdown is a such a nonentity, it's gonna have the dregs and be pretty heavily ignored by Vince.

Which means it'll probably become good again

Moribunderast

Three hour Raw is already too long and unwatchable - imagine that with a split roster and the current creative. The show will tank and any attempt at a legitimate split will end quickly as they start bringing over the stars who are "Smackdown exclusive" to try and paper over the cracks.

However, if Vince ignores Smackdown and it's left to HHH and gropey Ryan Ward, it'll probably end up being a decent show, so maybe there's an upside.

hewantstolurkatad

Who is gropey ryan ward? That's not the gimmick name they've given Austin Aries, is it?

Moribunderast

He's the Smackdown writer (ran NXT until recently) who Cody Rhodes vaguely accused of trying to leverage his position to hit on the developmental women. Apparently there's a good deal of heat on Cody for making that accusation. In WWE, though, it'd probably be grounds for promotion!

Deanjam

Triple H has revealed that the next NXT takeover event will be subtitled 'The End' which has led to many bollocks being dropped about NXT being abandoned when the split happens. It could just refer to the end of the Joe v Balor feud.

Ja'moke

The original Brand Split was total balls towards the end yes, but those first two or three years when they took it (and Smackdown) seriously were really good. The biggest selling point here, and a sign that they should be taking it more seriously, is that Smackdown is going LIVE! That is huge and basically forces them to give it the same respect as Raw.

Word from Meltzer is Reigns will head up Raw and Cena will head up Smackdown. Makes sense.

Moribunderast

Lucha Underground hasn't been as great as it was in the first season. It's still very good and boasts some excellent matches and angles but not everything is clicking. That being said, this week's episode was quite great, with my least favourite wrestler, Chavo Guerrero Jr. actually involved in a fun match/story with HE'S NOT A MAN HE'S A MACHINE, CAGE. There was a silly opener with Joey Ryan and Mascarita Sagrada. Joey Ryan performing a tornado DDT on a mini is quite precious. The highlight, however, was the main event and the forming of the new greatest Trios team in LU history: Jack Evans, Johnny Mundo and PJ Black (formerly Justin Gabriel). They do a segment where they form by beating up Fenix and performing air guitar (while real guitar solos shred on the soundtrack, Wyld Stallyns-style) over his prone body. After that, they have an athletically great, unbelievably fun match with Prince Puma/El Dragon Azteca/Rey Mysterio Jr. An absolutely great match and a prime example of what LU does better than anyone else when they're on-song.

Next week we have MONSTER VS. MACHINE, with Matanza vs. Cage, which should be a lot of fun. And I didn't even mention that King Cuerno now has a dead Mil Muertes prominently featured in his trophy room! The segment where Mil inevitably wakes up and smashes his way out is going to be tremendous.

Meanwhile, NXT has been it's usual between-Takeovers self: functional but dull. I've actually started missing episodes/matches because nothing really happens. With that said, they have (again, as usual) set up a great Takeover card that should have some blowaway matches:

Samoa Joe vs. Finn Balor - Cage Match for the NXT Title
Austin Aries vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
The Revival vs. American Alpha - NXT Tag Team Title
Asuka vs. Nia Jax - NXT Women's Title

I'm assuming we get the debut of Manny Andrade there, too, which should be interesting. The top 3 matches on that show should all be awesome.

Finally, thanks to reading the Wrestling Observer board, I have acquired a show by a company called STARDOM, which is all-Japanese women's wrestling. Have yet to watch much of it - apparently it's very good, athletically. I couldn't help but feel from the little I saw, however, that watching this is perhaps going too deep down the rabbit hole. I'm only interested for the wrestling matches now, sure, but if I get into the show will I slowly become one of those women's wrestling creeps who waits for hours to get an autograph from Sasha Banks while wearing an "I'm A Hugger" shirt?

Osmium

Quote from: Moribunderast on May 28, 2016, 03:27:03 AMI have acquired a show by a company called STARDOM

Generally, the main event is all that is worth watching with Stardom. The top three women (Kairi Hojo, Mayu Iwatani, and Io Shirai) are all excellent. Io Shirai is better than the majority of the WWE roster - men included. The rest of their card is filled with freelancers, touring foreigners, and 13 year old girls. It can be mildly entertaining, and it's an easy watch, but the gulf in quality between the main event matches and the rest of the card is massive. It is also definitely a bit creepy mind.