Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:41:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread

Started by hewantstolurkatad, May 02, 2016, 05:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

So AJ Styles just did a major heel turn on Raw. Great from a character standpoint (immediately seemed more comfortable than ever) but I feel like he was becoming a really marketable babyface with universal appeal. Still going to be fun viewing though. It'll be interesting to see if AJ's turn overshadows Rollins this year.

Ringside

I know it's silly, but I don't like AJ Styles, largely because of his floppy nice hair.

hewantstolurkatad

Reigns to beat AJ and seth clean in a convoluted handicap match on the build up to reigns vs cena at summerslam. Somehow managing to pin them both at once.

Timothy

So those stupid hashtags were for Goldberg in the game? Sigh.

Got to admit that I properly went wild for AJ's heel turn on
Spoiler alert
Cena
[close]
. If you'd told me back in 2005 that this would happen someday I'd never have believed it.

Mobius

Yeah that was awesome! I genuinely did not see that coming. Good stuff all round, bloody loving Raw lately.

up_the_hampipe

What do you smarks think about Goldberg in the 2K17 promo then? I know it's just a game but thinking back to Brock Lesnar being interviewed for WWE '12, Ultimate Warrior's 2K14 stuff and Sting's 2K15 promo, it seems like these video game deals plant the seeds for a return. I believe The Berg has said he'd like to wrestle at least one more time so his kid can see him.

Also some keen eyes have spotted a Suplex City reflection in the car window as Goldberg is taken away:

Goldberg vs. Lesnar II: This Time We're Trying

hewantstolurkatad

Can't imagine lesnar wants to carry a dangerous old lump like Goldberg, can't imagine Goldberg wants to take those suplexes.

I'd rather see zack ryder in a big match than a fifty year old Goldberg to be honest, and I've always thought ryder's shit.

hewantstolurkatad

Jeez, the Lapsed Fan, for a not-especially-popular podcast, sure has a lot of suicidal listeners that message in, doesn't it?

Moribunderast

Nobody watches TNA (and rightfully so) but I came across this today. Apparently the final thing that went to air on the go-home edition of Impact for whatever PPV is about to happen. Is this parody or have the Hardy Boyz decided to take TNA in the direction of Mumblecore-meets-Wiseau? It's utterly gobsmacking. Matt's accent and hair, the editing, the acting, the dialogue ("This is the ring in which it all began in and the ring in which it will all end in"), the insanely dumb bump Jeff takes, the fact that I briefly expected Reby to throw her actual baby... it's all a bit much. I wish Bryan and Vinny still reviewed this show. This segment would get 10 minutes devoted to it.

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/737847651085869057

Obel

I'm convinced that video is 2 minutes of pure wrestling. It's terrible and I kind of love it.

up_the_hampipe

I'm thinking of getting The Death of WCW. I've heard it's a great book but there's two versions: the original and a 10th anniversary expanded edition. Is the expanded one worth it or should I stick with the original?

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 01, 2016, 05:06:02 PM
I'm thinking of getting The Death of WCW. I've heard it's a great book but there's two versions: the original and a 10th anniversary expanded edition. Is the expanded one worth it or should I stick with the original?
It was a fun read when I read it near a decade add but since then there have been so many other sources with the same info that it mightnt be as good. In the same kind of way as how foleys first book felt amazing at the time but now it's a lot less easy to forgive the general messiness of it all
It's a huge shame a better writer didn't get to the material first.

From what I gather the new edition feels extremely tacked on but that's by people who already read the original. Definitely didn't hear any praise for it, mind.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 01, 2016, 05:06:02 PM

It's error ridden and crammed with stuff that probably isn't true. That aside, I found it a bit gruelling to be honest - it's a blow by blow account of the company's stupidity (and there's a helluva lot to document) but it's quite exhausting, and despite the ridiculousness on show is never quite amusing enough or suitably well written to engage consistently. But that's just my opinion.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on June 01, 2016, 05:40:19 PM
It's error ridden and crammed with stuff that probably isn't true. That aside, I found it a bit gruelling to be honest - it's a blow by blow account of the company's stupidity (and there's a helluva lot to document) but it's quite exhausting, and despite the ridiculousness on show is never quite amusing enough or suitably well written to engage consistently. But that's just my opinion.
That's what I expected really. It gets good reviews because it's the first place a lot of people come across that info but considering what it had at its disposal, it could've easily been much more.

Bryan Alvarez is definitely lucky that Meltzer got in bed with him. He's not a very good journalist, definitely a few notches below Meltzer, Keller, Powell... Someone like David Bixenspan could do a fantastic job on a book about WCW and would've had a much better hand on pretty ridiculous statistic involved.

leighhart

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on June 01, 2016, 03:09:23 AM
Jeez, the Lapsed Fan, for a not-especially-popular podcast, sure has a lot of suicidal listeners that message in, doesn't it?

shots fired!
the last 3-4 starrcades have been a tremendous listen

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on June 01, 2016, 06:52:58 PM
That's what I expected really. It gets good reviews because it's the first place a lot of people come across that info but considering what it had at its disposal, it could've easily been much more.

Bryan Alvarez is definitely lucky that Meltzer got in bed with him. He's not a very good journalist, definitely a few notches below Meltzer, Keller, Powell... Someone like David Bixenspan could do a fantastic job on a book about WCW and would've had a much better hand on pretty ridiculous statistic involved.

I gather the Titan... series by James Dixon et al is real fucking good stuff.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: leighhart on June 01, 2016, 09:05:13 PM
shots fired!
the last 3-4 starrcades have been a tremendous listen

I don't think it was shots fired. Just saying that they get a lot of those depressing e-mails from listeners.

I've enjoyed the Starrcade journey too, especially the creation of "Shagger" Lee Marshall. "Well, Tony, I was just blowing my load on some bitches back here..."

hummingofevil

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on June 01, 2016, 03:09:23 AM

I'm enjoying some of the more recent listener contributions, praising the show whilst apologising for "not having a dead sister". Ha ha.

Think it should become some kind of in-joke. People write in with increasingly horrific situations where only The Lapsed Fan has been a salvation.

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on June 01, 2016, 05:40:19 PM

Big fan of Death of WCW here (albeit the original version - the 10th anniversary version is on my To Read pile) - what errors did you see?  I found it to be a wholly accurate representation of the era.

I get it's quite exhausting, but WCW did more stupidity than any other company, so what do you leave out?

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on June 02, 2016, 01:16:12 PM
Big fan of Death of WCW here (albeit the original version - the 10th anniversary version is on my To Read pile) - what errors did you see?  I found it to be a wholly accurate representation of the era.

I get it's quite exhausting, but WCW did more stupidity than any other company, so what do you leave out?
You could do a book twice as long that goes through it all blow by blow but writes about noteworthy ones in a way that at least makes in entertaining. You could take some deviations from a strictly linear run through.

From my recollection, it really just felt like two hundred and something pages of bullet points. Were there even graphs? Some of that monetary stuff could've produced some amazing graphs.

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 02, 2016, 10:39:03 AM
I'm enjoying some of the more recent listener contributions, praising the show whilst apologising for "not having a dead sister". Ha ha.

Think it should become some kind of in-joke. People write in with increasingly horrific situations where only The Lapsed Fan has been a salvation.
I do wonder if it's hit upon something wholly different to wrestling. Like, it's effectively 7 hours of two old friends having a bit of a laugh together and there is an infectious giddiness to the whole thing. I find myself listening to it at really lonely empty times. Haven't killed myself or anything though.

Steven

Hahaha:

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on May 18, 2016, 01:24:09 PM

Second only to The Shockmaster clip.

Sam Roberts, O&A, Jim Norton, Bill Burr and Patrice O`Neal laughing about The Shockmaster clip.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Steven on June 04, 2016, 09:44:09 AM
Second only to The Shockmaster clip.

Sam Roberts, O&A, Jim Norton, Bill Burr and Patrice O`Neal laughing about The Shockmaster clip.

I'm sure this thread full of wrestling geeks are well familiar with both of these clips. The first one especially.

For me, second place after Shockmaster goes to Owen Hart's leg kick flub. Wrestling bloops and botches are some of the funniest things in the world.

Deanjam

Nothing tops maths genius Scott Steiner taking a dive

Deanjam

Then there's AJ no selling biggy sorry Big E's tit chop.

Deanjam

And Randy Orton looking like a tit.

Deanjam

By the way, while I'm posting botches, has everyone seen the amazingly bad video TNA has put out for the Hardy Brothers match at Slammiversary. Please enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXIgHq_h8Z0&feature=youtu.be

Quote from: Deanjam on June 04, 2016, 09:22:42 PM
By the way, while I'm posting botches, has everyone seen the amazingly bad video TNA has put out for the Hardy Brothers match at Slammiversary. Please enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXIgHq_h8Z0&feature=youtu.be
Even better the Directers cut version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzScgAhSt0

Penfold

OH! We posting videos?

Here's the season finale of The Chris Gethard Show featuring Jon Hamm, Colt Cabana, Rhyno, X-Pac, and Curt Hawkins.

https://youtu.be/W8awydCqNxQ

Match starts about 20 minutes in.

up_the_hampipe

The Chris Gethard Show is mental. I'm not sure I'll commit to saying I like it but I appreciate it.