Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV's Nick Knowles has written a film...

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, May 02, 2016, 08:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SemaqycU_l0

Synopsis.

http://film.britishcouncil.org/golden-years

Knowles.

It looks bloody awful, obviously. Why does the British film industry insist on ploughing money into patently shit crime caper comedies? Who thought, "A screenplay by the bloke from DIY SOS? That sounds like a winner." Why has this been allowed to happen?

MuteBanana

That's a cracking cast. Not sure I want to judge it yet.

It's a great cast, but the trailer doesn't bode well.

Dr Rock

Glebe

He only co-wrote it, though. They probably gave him a crayon and he wrote a couple of lines about old people in masks.

biggytitbo

One of the other writers wrote something called Andys Dinosaur Adventures.

This is an unofficial cash in, but not an adaption, of the Hatton garden heist isn't it? I imagine a real adaption of that is in the works. Of course they were pensioners but they weren't old fools, they were all extremely accomplished veteran criminals, one of them was even involved in the legendary Baker Street heist in 1971, which was made into the (very good) film The Bank Job.

Small Man Big Horse

I read an interview the other day where he said he'd written four other films, and one would be in production soon. Also seemed like this was a real labour of love for him, so I dunno, I hope it does okay. Might get him off the tv more as well which couldn't be a bad thing.

Edit: ah, here it is: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/14/why-diy-soss-nick-knowles-made-a-film-comedy-about-bank-robbing-pensioners

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 03, 2016, 06:00:30 PMI read an interview the other day where he said he'd written four other films, and one would be in production soon.

He appears to be swapping televisual DIY to become the new Ealing Studios.

biggytitbo

One film he wrote is apperently about a cunt that does up a flat for a mental squaddy and someone cries. Don't know where he gets his ideas from.

Funcrusher

From the review in this months Sight and Sound:

'It's a shame the film loses momentum late in the day, because the first hour is most engaging. But this well cast, effectively witty offering certainly makes a strong play for older audiences by taking them, their concerns and aspirations, with due seriousness'. Not a slating by any means.

Serge

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 03, 2016, 06:00:30 PM
I read an interview the other day where he said he'd written four other films, and one would be in production soon. Also seemed like this was a real labour of love for him, so I dunno, I hope it does okay. Might get him off the tv more as well which couldn't be a bad thing.

Edit: ah, here it is: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/14/why-diy-soss-nick-knowles-made-a-film-comedy-about-bank-robbing-pensioners

I saw that interview the other day too, and for using the phrase 'bugger me with the wide end of a jazz man's trumpet' he went up in my estimation.

great_badir

Any excuse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goZqBaXepU4

In fairness, a few mates went to see it the other day and none of them had anything really bad to say about it.  They all put it firmly in the category of lightweight harmless British comedy films that feature solid performances and more than one LOL moment.

I feel awful now. Sorry, TV's Nick Knowles.

biggytitbo

This is one for the good advice thread, but never apologise to Nick Knowles.

great_badir

Well, for all we know Knowles' contributions are all the shit bits.

Glebe

As this leaked CCTV image proves, many of Knowles' (second from right) DIY jobs were a fucking disgrace and had to be rejigged in the editing room. It's a right fucking fit-up.

Glebe

Sight & Sound review says it's actually pretty decent, up until the second half.

xmxmxmxmxmx

Nick 'SOS' Knowles recently opened a vegan bistro in Shropshire too so there's clearly much more to him that stunning good looks and hard hats. Making movies and opening restaurants, he's the British Francis Ford Coppola.

I saw the other writer/director interviewed on Points West about this (think it was filmed in Bristol or Bath) and it looked fucking atrocious. The main man seemed frustrated and bitter his fluffy film was being overshadowed by Knowles' superstar involvement. It's all the presenters wanted to talk about, and quite right too.

black_betty

Saw them filming this outside my flat, also saw Nick Knowles walking around looking smug. Think I'll watch this for that reason alone maybe not pay to do so though.