Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:59:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Furry Animals - New stuff

Started by Custard, May 03, 2016, 09:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hat FM

Guerilla is probz my second favourite sfa album.

the new track isn't a classic but it's catchy as fuck and is a laugh.

Gruff was in the latest q magazine. not sure if he mentioned if there is any more new material on the way.

thraxx

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 13, 2016, 04:18:04 PM
For comparison's sake here's the official Wales in the Euros 2016 song by Manic Street Preachers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHnnkzgjCI

Chock-full of "football song" tropes like melancholy verses about previous "oh-so-nears" (complete with snippets of commentary), uplifting singalong chorus, crowd noise, listing player names, and having the team in a recording studio singing and bopping along.

Formulaic shite, but hard to begrudge it completely as Wales never had the opportunity to do one of these.

That was awful. I cant wait for the 25th anniversary release of The Holy Bible with that on it. I'm going to make my own version of the album. I'll stick it between Ifwhiteamerica... And Of Walking Abortion i think.

thraxx

I like the fact that the sfa track is based upon the instrumental break bit in Ultravox's Vienna.

greenman

Spaceman 3 should re release Big City to cash in on the indie krautrockish euro 2016 market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMqpxHY2nFs

PaulTMA

The SFA thread on one of the other music forums I regularly read is habitually stalked by one guy who drones on about how shit SFA have been since 2003 or whenever to the extent where it's not possible to discuss their incredibly consistent body of work without his tedious and narcissistically smug/abjectly miserable presence interjecting every other post made, despite his threats to QUIT THE BAND FOREVER.  Anyway, who is arsed.  Love Kraft is clearly the best album anyway.

the science eel

The best after Guerrilla and Radiator.

And Fuzzy Logic.

Sgt. Duckie

Agree with the love for love kraft. Phantom power and dark days are my two least faves. Everything else is great.

Custard

But Dark Days has Inaugural Trams, Mt, and Helium Hearts!

Sgt. Duckie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 20, 2016, 09:15:48 PM
But Dark Days has Inaugural Trams, Mt, and Helium Hearts!

It sure does, but Mt could have done with being a bit shorter. I like it up until it becomes too repetitive and wears out its welcome...for me anyway. I think a few more songs on DD could have done with being a tad shorter. Good album but down the list for me, in terms of listening in one foul swoop.

CaledonianGonzo

Essentially, even their worst albums are still pretty damn good.

the science eel

I wish they'd leave the vocoder alone tho'. It's one thing making music with an attractive, eclectic mix of influences but it's quite another to start sounding like a kitschy ELO tribute band.

Vodka Margarine

You say that like it's a bad thing.

daf

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 19, 2016, 12:21:03 AM
Love Kraft is clearly the best album anyway.

You fascinate me strangely - might give that a go.

I dropped out after Rings around the World (which is my probably favourite song of theirs) - but around that time, I totally lost interest in new music, and the only thing that could raise my musical pecker was Red Hot Jazz Bands from 1926-1929, and the Operas of Wagner. 

Feel it's maybe time to dip my toe back in.

Phantom Power is their masterpiece. Mt is their worst-ever single. Bing Bong is their best since Slow Life. Love Kraft would be a 10/10er of it wasn't for Lazer Beam. Their gigs last year were stunning, but I'm worried about them playing the same setlist forever now and becoming as bored as they looked during the Hey Venus! era.

I hope the vinyl reissues that were hinted at last year come about. Kliph said at the time that he was digging through the vaults and finding some absolute gold. The live cuts on the Mwng bonus discs were wonderful.

Hat FM

in all honesty, my main worry about new material is that it won't be Gruff led. They are all older guys now and will all want their unique stamp on a new album however the rest of them are simply not as good at song writing as Gruff. If a new album was done in the same way as the earlier stuff with Gruff writing the songs then the others collaborating and adding bits I would be over the moon but I think if they did it the other way we would just end up with dark days:Light years 2 which, though enjoyable, didn't add much to their legacy in my opinion. Tho cardiff in the sun and helium hearts are great tunes.

Crabwalk

*Whispers* I think Gruff's lost his muse a bit in recent years. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the last few things he's had his name on, from  'Praxis Makes Perfect' to 'American Interior'. He's permitted a lull after 15 years of non-stop brilliance, of course. But perhaps a stint with the old gang would bring out the best in him again.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 24, 2016, 05:21:40 PM
*Whispers* I think Gruff's lost his muse a bit in recent years.

Why are you whispering? Your opinion is as valid as those giving his arsehole a spring clean.

Crabwalk

Just because I think he's a great artist and an excellent human being, and I don't want to be unnecessarily rude about him on a public forum.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 24, 2016, 07:31:41 PM
I don't want to be unnecessarily rude about him on a public forum.

He's a big boy. He can take it.

imitationleather

I'm livid about that EU song, if only because it makes disparaging remarks about pie and mash. Go eat a leek you fucking indecipherable Welsh cunt.

(P.S. I love your music Gruff (apart from a couple of SFA albums) I used to own it all before Spotify. Please be my friend.)

Head Gardener

I thought this new tune by Saul Williams was SFA when I first heard it,
maybe if Gruff mucked about with the lyrics and then called it Think Like A Whoopsie it still could be!

Hat FM

I don't think American interior was as good as hotel shampoo but Hotel shampoo was pretty special. Same with the two neon neon albums really.

CaledonianGonzo

Touring the UK in December doing a Fuzzy Logic / Radiator full album show.

Hurm.

As much as I like the latter album, the scope for most of their greatest material not making the setlist is a little annoying.  It plays up to the (clearly cobblers) idea of them as minor Britpop band that peaked early.

Sgt. Duckie

I dearly hope this is building up to a new album at some point in the future. It has been too long! Or will they follow it with a Guerilla/Mwng combo tour in the new year.

Squink

That's a fairly ugly cash grab. Presumably whatever money they were surviving on had started to run dry. I just can't imagine a tour like that being all that interesting to them.

CaledonianGonzo

They should have taken some of those sweet, sweet  sugar $s from Coca-Cola.

Despite being a Furries supernerd I probably won't be bothering with this unless they announce a Manchester show. Fuzzy Logic isn't that interesting an album (although I'll lap up the reissue) and although I love Radiator, I'm not sure I could stomach LADS chatting through Down A Different River while they're waiting for them to play the hits.

This new 'rarity-laden' best-of could be interesting - although knowing SFA, that might just be code for a couple of b-sides rather than a second disc of exciting stuff I've never heard before.

alan nagsworth

I'm seeing them at Loverpool Psych Fest and I really hope they play a hits set and not thw above.

AnthonyJ

Quote from: Squink on August 08, 2016, 12:38:55 PM
That's a fairly ugly cash grab. Presumably whatever money they were surviving on had started to run dry. I just can't imagine a tour like that being all that interesting to them.

Bunf's partner said on Facebook over the weekend that they've just bought their very first house...

Hat FM

when i heard there was gona be announcement today i presumed a new album then i heard the tail end of the announcement and thought they were releasing a best of and doing a farewell tour. Seems like a real cash in. i wonder if they've tried doing new stuff. surely they have?