Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:54:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Did anyone else know about the 4GB limit for unzipping files and can I get around it?

Started by Z/Sb, October 29, 2004, 02:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z/Sb

Sorry if this has been bought up before but I found out this week (at the wrong time - I have a ton of PS2 games and DVDs downloaded which can't be shifted) that a zip/rar/whatever containing a file over 4GB won't unzip!

It seems to be to do with the fact that pre Windows XP (and Windows 2000 I think) hard-drives were FAT32 based while now they are NTFS based. Errrrrr...I could say more but you get the general idea (...Dagenham Dave). Apparently it's really simple with Windows XP to reformat to NTFS as it is a readily available option in the "Options" but this isn't available with ME/98/95 although Microsoft has instructions for doing it but it may be risky so I'm not keen on it.

Does anyone know a way around the 4GB limit problem? (And, I mean, an answer which doesn't involve reformatting one of my drives which is regarded to be the answer but could be risky...)
I tried many zip programs but as soon as the file reaches 4GB, I get error messages...

Moderator edit: There is a sticky techy thread at the top of this forum where I'm sure people will be happy to help you out.

Z/Sb

Apologies!
Didn't see that...thanks for the tip!
Not usually into posting technical problems so I jumped the gun a bit there...
Morderators feel free to move/remove this thread if its possible.
Cheers.