Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:42:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top laptop advice sought

Started by the midnight watch baboon, May 07, 2016, 07:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the midnight watch baboon

Oi, sO I'm looking to buy a laptop! At least 17", that excels at streaming music and vids, reliable as hell. Am not a gamer, more of a writer. Good sonix and graphix. And light and ergonomic.

Save me from myself before I let PC World take advantage of me. Could go to £300. There are some refurbished Dells on Groupon that are making eyes at me :$

Thanks wanks x

biggytitbo

Any laptop will excel at streaming video and audio these days, although I think you'll struggle to find a 17 inch one at the budget level.

popcorn

It certainly exceeds your budget but let me tell you I resisted buying a Mac for years because surely they're not worth the money.

They are worth the money. holy shit, I can't come to terms with how much better my macbook is than any other laptop I've ever used. it makes my previous one feel like a shit cheap kid's toy.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on May 07, 2016, 07:11:17 AM
Oi, sO I'm looking to buy a laptop! At least 17", that excels at streaming music and vids, reliable as hell. Am not a gamer, more of a writer. Good sonix and graphix. And light and ergonomic.

Save me from myself before I let PC World take advantage of me. Could go to £300. There are some refurbished Dells on Groupon that are making eyes at me :$...

At that price range, you're really going to struggle getting a 17"+ model and suspect the refurbished models you're looking at, are rather long in the tooth. Realistically, you're going to have to spend a couple of hundred or so more to get one that size from PCWorld.

Also, large larger laptops don't tend to be on the light side as they're often intended as desktop replacements. Personally, with that kind of budget, I would look at smaller machines and if screen size is an issue, get a display later on.

momatt

Macs last at least twice as long so are well worth the extra cash.

Consignia

I'm considering getting one of those Surface Books, as they look the business and my current laptop is an absolute bastard for portability. However the prices make me want to shit my thorax out. Since it's for work I can it sans VAT, but still nearly 2 grand for a personal computer. It's like the old days.

falafel

Quote from: popcorn on May 11, 2016, 02:16:06 PM
It certainly exceeds your budget but let me tell you I resisted buying a Mac for years because surely they're not worth the money.

They are worth the money. holy shit, I can't come to terms with how much better my macbook is than any other laptop I've ever used. it makes my previous one feel like a shit cheap kid's toy.
Alternative opinion: we also have one in our household, very much not worth the money.