Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:21:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Euro 2016 - football in France thing

Started by Morrison Lard, May 10, 2016, 04:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 22, 2016, 06:12:33 PM
Agreed.
You're a bit optimistic with England only conceding 1 goal in 3 matches!

Maybe. I also forgot to add (any game):

(Alli (s/o), 49)

imitationleather

Okay. A more detailed prediction:

England 1:1 Russia (Early England goal raises expectations, but Russia grab a late equaliser)
England 0:1 Wales (Oh fuck, anyway we'll smash Slovakia and go through to glory. It's fine)
England 0:0 Slovakia (Bollocks. Ah well, the team will be mature by 2018. Roll on the World Cup!)

imitationleather

Hang on, aren't the rules for this expanded competition that all four teams from each group go through to the next round?

Morrison Lard

51/1 on skybet for England to draw with Russia and Slovakia, and lose against Wales.

Top 2 go through out of each group, and then 4 of the best 3rd placed teams.

imitationleather

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 22, 2016, 06:25:17 PM
51/1 on skybet for England to draw with Russia and Slovakia, and lose against Wales.

Now I'm going to be sweating for the next few weeks that this might actually happen and I should have put a grand on it.

It's Corbyn all over again.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Captain Z on May 22, 2016, 06:16:42 PM
Maybe. I also forgot to add (any game):

(Alli (s/o), 49)
Well worth a punt, he looks permanently pissed off.

Vardy doing that trick of getting his legs whipped away to earn a penno.

Hahahaha Kane. Nice one.

Captain Z

Ah rash challenges, dubious penalties and young stars failing to live up to expectations. This England squad is the full package.

imitationleather

At least Kane hit part of the goal. We're witnessing England turn a corner here.

Morrison Lard

Hoddle is terrible, Andy Townsend must be turning in his grave.

"It's a real positive penalty from Kane"

"For me..."

"A great semi-clearance"

finnquark

Why the fack has Jack gone off? Where's the passion lads?

imitationleather

OH SHIT LADS WE'RE GONNA WIN THE EUROS

Sgt. Duckie

imitationleather

By the way, if I'd been at home earlier I would have opened the build-up to England's glorious triumph this evening with this zinger based on today's Express front page:

THE JOKE: That's quite a travelling support for a friendly!!!!

chand

My main hope for the tournament is that heightened French security measures mean the fucking England band have their instruments confiscated.

finnquark

More than any other time, this time.

biggytitbo

Quote from: imitationleather on May 22, 2016, 07:00:36 PM
By the way, if I'd been at home earlier I would have opened the build-up to England's glorious triumph this evening with this zinger based on today's Express front page:

THE JOKE: That's quite a travelling support for a friendly!!!!

I'm more interested in getting an expanding hose.

finnquark

I know it. You know it. All the football fans in the country know it. So why doesn't Roy?

Bill Shankly would be pulling his hair out. If he were alive.

Why would you call a mechanic to fix your car, but meet a plumber on the way to the garage, and get him to do the job instead.

You're listening to BBC Radio Five Live.

imitationleather

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 22, 2016, 07:23:39 PM

I'm more interested in getting an expanding hose.

You'll never win anything with an expanding hose.

finnquark

Hart

Smalling Cahill Stones

Townsend                               Sterling

Rooney Dier

Alli

Vardy Kane

Can't see any issues with that as a starting XI. Get Raheem and Andros bombing on.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: finnquark on May 22, 2016, 07:35:45 PM
                           Hart

Smalling Cahill Stones

Townsend                               Sterling

Rooney Dier

Alli

Vardy Kane

Can't see any issues with that as a starting XI. Get Raheem and Andros bombing on.

"Can't see any issues with that'

finnquark

Only other option I've heard put forward on Talksport (though not endorsed by Collymore) is Wazza as a footballing centre half.

doppelkorn

Quote from: chand on May 22, 2016, 07:06:19 PM
My main hope for the tournament is that heightened French security measures mean the fucking England band have their instruments confiscated.

When I worked at a world cup game once[nb]Long story, but my flatmates and I basically turned up on the day of the game[nb]Spain vs. Ukraine in 2006[/nb] after hearing a rumour that they were looking for stewards and we'd get to watch a free game. They were looking for stewards, we didn't get to see the game, and I got stiffed out of my pay by the (dodgy) private security firm run by neo-nazis.[/nb] we had to confiscate anything like that looked remotely dangerous, including containers greater than 200ml. I would have confiscated those instruments and given them to the many, many homeless people hanging around collecting bottles and cans for the 5-cent return deposit.

Sgt. Duckie

Sterling has a habit of panicking in front of goal.  He rushes everything he does, albeit his wriggling past defenders at top speed is exciting - there is an increasing lack of finding a teammate when it's crucial. Rather see Milner in his position.

Hart

Clyne Cahill Smalling Rose

Milner Dier Ali
                                        Vardy
        Kane.  Sturridge

Rooney as a supersub and Kane captain.

Van Dammage

Seeing lots of tweets calling Kane a greedy bastard. Didn't see the match, how was it?

BlodwynPig

Banks

Adams Blanc Desailly Alberto

Dugarry Cantona Zidane Boniek

Fontaine Lineker

phantom_power

I would go for:

Hart
Walker Cahill Smalling Rose
            Wilshire
Sterling Rooney Alli Vardy
              Kane

Or something like that. I actually found it hard to work that out as there was too much choice. I haven't been able to say that for a while.

As for results I think we will narrowly beat Russia, draw against Wales and comfortably win the last game. The manner of those performances will then determine who well we do from then on. OK but not great is my bet. Honourable defeat and lots to feel positive about for the future.

I may be being over-optimistic but someone has to counter the suffocating pessimism and cynicism of this thread

DrGreggles

Not an England fan, but I'll join in:

Hart
Clyne Cahill Smalling Rose
          Dier Milner
      Lallana Alli Vardy
              Kane

BlodwynPig

England 4-0 Russia (tears in Blodwyn household)
England 3-1 Wales
England 5-0 Slovakia

England 2-2 Rep. Ireland (3-2 pens)

England 2-0 Portugal

England 1-1 Germany (5-4 pens)

England 6-7 Albania

England go six up and coasting. Into the final ten minutes and a cameo from BlodwynPig off the bench for the Albanians.

Boom...Boom....Boom. 6-3

Maradona-esque dribble from his own goalline. 6-4.

Lobs Hart from 70 yards. 6-5.

Dummies the keeper, ala Pele, but unlike Pele, scores. 6-6.

1 minute remaining. Vardy takes a dive. Goalie nowhere near. Ref points to the spot and sends keeper off.

Blodders steps into goal.

Kane steps up. Blasts it top right corner. AMAZING. Blodders saves, the ball rebounds. Vardy blasts it. Banks-esque save.

Blodders controls the rebound off the crossbar, goes round 4 England players. Swivels past Cahill and jinks the ball through Smalling's legs. SMASH. Into the net from 30 yards.

-----

That's what will happen.