Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'The Woods' (2016) - A Secret Sequel to 'The Blair Witch Project'?

Started by St_Eddie, May 11, 2016, 05:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

For over a year now, the rumour mill has been saying that Adam Wingard's upcoming horror film, The Woods (a film shrouded in secrecy) is in actuality, a sequel to The Blair Witch Project.  I've been awaiting news of a release date and any further information for what seems like an age now and finally, we have a teaser trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMEgSLetjHw

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some evidence which supports the 'Blair Witch follow-up' theory...

* The studio behind the release, Lionsgate, also owns the rights to The Blair Witch Project.

* As I said, the rumours of this film's true identity go back to over a year ago.  This information was passed on to various horror websites by an unnamed source.

* Just look at the teaser; it seems to be very much in style of The Blair Witch Project.  Also note, that there was no such footage for the unnamed source I mentioned above, to draw upon at the time that they contacted the horror websites.

* Something I noticed; at the end of the teaser trailer, pay attention to the sounds that play when the title 'The Woods' comes on screen.  Now where have a heard that sound before?  Oh yes, the rocks being hit against each other at night, in The Blair Witch Project!

* Just like The Blair Witch Project, which brought the genre to the attention of the masses; The Woods is apparently a found footage film.

* When asked on twitter several months ago, what some of his favourite horror movies are; director of The Woods, Adam Wingard replied with one title only; "The Blair Witch Project".

* Even after this teaser trailer, there is a suspicious lack of information regarding what exactly this film is all about.  For example, there's no synopsis beyond "a group of college students on a camping trip discover they are not alone".  This is highly unusual for a film that is this close to release (September).

* Several journalists and critics have already seen the film and as is always the case with such things, they are bound by NDAs.  However, what little they are saying about it, seems unusually cryptic.  For example, one person who's seen it has said "I can't talk about it yet but I also can't wait for people to find out about what this movie actually is about.  Horror fans are going to love it, once they see what happens".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping, with all fingers and toes crossed, that this film turns out to be a true sequel to The Blair Witch Project, one of my favourite horror films.  Whilst I do feel that Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows is underrated and misunderstood[nb]Check out this video on Blair Witch 2 to see how misunderstood it is and also how studios without artistic integrity, love to screw with talented directors...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAkmHSzUIHQ[/nb], it wasn't a continuation of the story from the original film but rather an examination of the popularity of the The Blair Witch Project upon it's initial release and the phenomenon of mass hysteria.  I've long wanted a true sequel and I hope that The Woods is it.

Regardless of this film's true identity, it's getting some wonderful pre-release buzz and I am looking forward to it greatly.  It's hopefully set to become one of this year's best horror films.  Being a Blair Witch sequel would be like a delicious icing on top of the already sweet looking proverbial cake.

=====================================================

Creeeeepy cover of I'll Be Watching You is really offputting, other than that I'm cautiously optimistic. BWP is a classic and hopefully they've dodged enough tropes to make this worth watching.

St_Eddie

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 11, 2016, 05:59:10 PM
Creeeeepy cover of I'll Be Watching You is really offputting, other than that I'm cautiously optimistic. BWP is a classic and hopefully they've dodged enough tropes to make this worth watching.

I agree with both of your points.  Whilst I haven't seen any of director, Adam Wingard's previous films; I've heard very good things, so there's every reason to be optimistic.

Noodle Lizard

I've really learned not to buy into hype about horror films in the past few years, so all these claims about it "reinventing the genre" are to be ignored completely until I see it for myself.  This Adam Wingard has previous for reviewers blowing his movie out of proportion - going into You're Next, you'd be very much forgiven for expecting it to be revolutionary.  It's not.

From the trailer it looks pretty bogstandard; bit of The Descent, bit of "any horror movie set in the woods".  Doesn't look like it shares much with TBWP stylistically or in terms of approach to horror - TBWP famously (and wisely) not showing anything, whereas I'd guess this one would be a lot more full-on, especially judging by his past work.

Also, Bobcat Goldthwaite made Willow Creek a couple of years ago, which was basically TBWP with Bigfoot, and it wasn't very good.  I think actively suggesting this was a sequel would not be beneficial to the reputation either film.

Still, I hope it's good!  It doesn't say much when the best horror movie I've seen for a year or two has been Krampus.

Glebe

I believe the makers of Blair Witch had been kicking around the idea for a sequel awhile back... they don't appear to have any involvement in this, though. Anyway, I loved that movie, and good creepy flicks in general, so here's hoping those quotes in the trailer are trustworthy.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 11, 2016, 06:32:58 PM
Krampus.

Another case of promising film having a bit of a shit trailer. The one I watched gave away far too much, and didn't really seem to have much going for it in terms atmosphere. I couldn't work out what the tone was either, comedy/horror or straight horror. In the end I didn't bother.

You're Next had me switching off after about 30 minutes. Just nothing about it.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 11, 2016, 07:05:57 PM
Another case of promising film having a bit of a shit trailer. The one I watched gave away far too much, and didn't really seem to have much going for it in terms atmosphere. I couldn't work out what the tone was either, comedy/horror or straight horror. In the end I didn't bother.

I don't think I saw the trailer, which is definitely the best way to go about these things - but when a trailer's out and people are going on about it, I have to take a look.  Krampus was good, though.  The tone is comedy/horror in the vein of Gremlins moreso than, say, Shaun Of The Dead.  I'd recommend it, but it seems to be a love-or-hate thing.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on May 11, 2016, 06:35:15 PM
I believe the makers of Blair Witch had been kicking around the idea for a sequel awhile back... they don't appear to have any involvement in this, though.

Aye, that definitely bothers me.  It almost wouldn't feel official without their involvement.  I loved the duo's concept for a follow up to The Blair Witch Project; a traditionally shot prequel, dealing with the exile of Elly Kedward from the town of Blair and the subsequent spooky goings-on that followed.

If The Woods does indeed turn out to be a Blair Witch film, then I really hope that Wingard does it justice.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 11, 2016, 06:32:58 PMDoesn't look like it shares much with TBWP stylistically or in terms of approach to horror - TBWP famously (and wisely) not showing anything, whereas I'd guess this one would be a lot more full-on, especially judging by his past work.

Aw, stop killing my buzz with your well reasoned reservations, you massive shitter!

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't hate Krampus, just found it a bit throwaway, and the first hour is a big of a slog to get through. The final thirty minutes are fun, and deserve the Dante comparisons, but it's a shame it took so long to get frenetic and fucked up.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quoteone person who's seen it has said "I can't talk about it yet but I also can't wait for people to find out about what this movie actually is about.  Horror fans are going to love it, once they see what happens".

Stooge wanker and his hype of shit

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You're Next and The Guest were both very entertaining, certainly more than It Follows or The Witch (both fine, but overhyped) so I'm interested to see this just based on Wingard's involvement. I couldn't really care less about it being related to Blair Witch (which I'm entirely unconvinced it is).

Mark Steels Stockbroker

BW2 did at least continue the universe of the film and had interesting ideas about the spectre in the story influencing the film itself, especially in the "out takes" section at the end of the VHS release (which I saw first, because the rental copy hadn't been rewound).

Very underrated, and a very different film. See also The Last Broadcast.

BlodwynPig

Hang on, the first Blair Witch was not a movie, surely, guys? guys!?

Anyway, why use that soundtrack, awful. No need for music in anything related to BWP. Other than some radio grunge.

BlodwynPig

In terms of horror, nothing really comes close to the original BWP. Notably, for the moments between the moments. The stillness, the silence....then the stone or twig noise. Nicely set up by the creepy folklore tales at the beginning.

What always scared me was the sound at the end of the film, when Heather is (floating) down to the basement. Their seems to be some sort of quiet maelstrom of noise that no-one really picks up on.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 12, 2016, 08:20:51 PMWhat always scared me was the sound at the end of the film, when Heather is (floating) down to the basement...

That's the great thing about The Blair Witch Project; everyone has their own interpretation of events.  For the record though, the filmmakers never intended for the interpretation of Heather "floating" down the stairs.  Heather, the actress (and as was originally intended; the character) was simply running down the stairs, with her screams to Mike being picked up in the distance because Mike was carrying the DAT.  Still, it remains a popular theory to this day.

That's what's so brilliant about the film; the more vivid your imagination, the scarier it becomes.  You take out of the film what you bring in to it.  Also explains why, in my experience, people who vehemently hate the film have a tendency to be complete and utter dullards...

"It's shit because you don't see anything."

"Not even remotely scary.  It was actually unintentionally funny.  Me and my mates were pissing ourselves with laughter at the cinema."

"They should have shown the witch at the end."

....said a gaggle of gormless gimps, incapable of creative thought.

That's not to say that there aren't valid reasons for not liking The Blair Witch Project (even though I personally love it) and I'm sure that there must be some very creative and imaginative people who also hate the film... I just haven't met any as of yet.  Whereas, I have met several, very close-minded people, who have spouted variations of the above quotes.

Sorry, not sure what I'm harping on about; had a few too many drinks.  I'll shut up now.

Noodle Lizard

No, you're absolutely right, TBWP is one of the best horror movies I think and possibly among my favourite films of all time.  It's really weird how it divides people - even proper, scholarly horror fans.  The mythology framework they set up is fascinating, especially once you begin to apply it to the events that follow, though it never hits you over the head with it or completely vindicates any of the varied things the townsfolk say.  There's a lot of ambiguity in that film, but it doesn't feel cynical or smug at all (*cough* It Follows *cough*), it's completely realistic and in keeping with the tone - it'd make absolutely no sense if the kids with the cameras were able to capture footage which makes perfect sense of everything, so you're privy to the same unexplained, disconnected incidents that they are - though I think the filmmakers definitely do know what's supposed to have happened.  Wouldn't have it any other way.  Love that film.

monolith

Agree, one of, if not my absolute favourite horror film. Leaves so much to the imagination and it's creeping me out just thinking about it now.

There's nothing I would change about it, it's perfect and it's genius is in the fact that you don't really see anything (although that final scene is a pretty terrifying visual even if there's nothing explicit being shown).

St_Eddie

It's absolutely marvelous, not to mention refreshing, to read so much praise for such a fantastic film.  I had gotten to a point in life where I felt that I was the only one left; the last bastion of defense against the tide of shit that is regularly flung at a brilliant piece of cinema.  I should have known; you can usually rely on the rejects and freaks at Cook'd and Bomb'd to show up those simpleton cunts; those with nary a grain of good taste.

Count me in with the TBWP love. It is also a film I have always wanted to watch whilst camping on my own.  Is that weird?

Glebe

I remember watching it quietly with a couple of mates with the lights of and it was great. It's the kind of film you really have to get into and soak up the atmos... not one for a big-group-of-drunken-wallies type session,

Junglist

I watched it with a cousin aged 16, dark room, VHS. It fucking terrified us and I haven't revisited it since. Amazing film.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

It was overexposed at the time (NME put it on the front cover, as it was that period when it didn't know what magazine it was supposed to be anymore) and then became a dull reference point for all kinds of lazy satire (even got referenced in the S Club 7 tv series). So it got seen as incredibly naff, but gets reappraised in hindsight, just like the Royal Wedding of 1981.

Mini

Blair Witch feels authentic in a way no other found footage movie has ever really achieved, by virtue of the cast being genuinely terrified. There are all sorts of stories about the filmmakers fucking with them, giving them a panic button and then ignoring it, etc.

It also gave us the timeless method of scaring your friends by standing with your face to a wall in a dark room.

hedgehog90

Me and my brother were chatting about horror films recently and when I said BWP was the best I got a derisive scoff.
For me it's a perfect film, and I get the sense most people consider it as just some gimmicky film.

It seems to get better with age too, the retro feel of it adds so much watching it nowadays.
I can't explain it, I watched it recently and the despair I felt for the characters was so real it almost became unpleasant to watch. They seem to get more and more hopeless as time goes on, as they fade further into old contemporary times.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: monolith on May 12, 2016, 11:04:12 PM
Agree, one of, if not my absolute favourite horror film. Leaves so much to the imagination and it's creeping me out just thinking about it now.

There's nothing I would change about it, it's perfect and it's genius is in the fact that you don't really see anything (although that final scene is a pretty terrifying visual even if there's nothing explicit being shown).

The final bit in the basement perfectly embodies unseen evil. It virtually seeps out of the screen, even more so than (literally) Ringu. What fucking horror is just right of camera, what fucking horror!? Jesus, shivers now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 13, 2016, 10:45:06 AM
Me and my brother were chatting about horror films recently and when I said BWP was the best I got a derisive scoff.
For me it's a perfect film, and I get the sense most people consider it as just some gimmicky film.

It seems to get better with age too, the retro feel of it adds so much watching it nowadays.
I can't explain it, I watched it recently and the despair I felt for the characters was so real it almost became unpleasant to watch. They seem to get more and more hopeless as time goes on, as they fade further into old contemporary times.

I watched it 3 times in the first week it got released. And even the first screening exuded the great unholy unknown.

From the moment Josh gets in the car with that grunge music gargling away, you feel that something is not right. Perfect beginning.

Then you have the townsfolk interviews. The fisherman's tale is mind destroying to someone who suffered from night terrors at an early age and also went camping a lot. You wanted to be there, but you also absolutely did not want to be THERE. Innards knotted together. The only grisly part of the film (except for the tooth in the bundle)...and its just some words spoken by a yokel.

BlodwynPig

If this film comes anywhere close to the original I would be happy.

BWP 2 was actually quite good, it had a certain pagan magick vibe to it that I always find unnerving.

This looks like a cross between The Descent and Borderlands...which could be OK, but for it to be in the BWP canon, the actors need to be genuine, and not hip young actors a la mode.

colacentral

Thanks to the OP for the youtube link in the annotation, it was quite interesting. I had a look at a few more videos on that channel and I was dissapointed - I thought they'd all be a look at what the original vision of the films were or dissections of why they're misunderstood, but the ones I saw were general recaps with an "I think this film is good" capper.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Glebe on May 13, 2016, 01:26:47 AM
It's the kind of film you really have to get into and soak up the atmos... not one for a big-group-of-drunken-wallies type session,

A few years ago I was in that exact situation after having convinced some friends to watch it at a small Halloween get-together as it's my favourite horror movie.

I soon regretted it when I realised they were just going to talk and make jokes over the entire thing, but then by the time the credits rolled pretty much everyone agreed the ending was genuinely creepy - at which point I had to mention that it's even creepier if you actually pay attention to things being said earlier in the movie.

People seem to hate BWP for some of the exact reasons I think it works so well - the flat and repetitive visuals, 'hardly anything happening'.  Being freaked out by something uncanny in real life is nothing like the way it's usually represented in horror movies, because the mundanity of ordinary everyday reality fills up every bit of space inbetween whatever oddness may or may not be going on.  The lighting doesn't suddenly get creepier, tense music doesn't start to build up out of nowhere.  Weirdness intrudes on your life for a minute and then you're left with the concrete boring normalcy of everything else as an unnerving reminder that you're definitely awake.

I wasn't crazy about Bobcat Goldthwait's 'Willow Creek', but it's one of the only post-Blair-Witch found footage movies I've seen that comes close to capturing that same kind of verisimilitude.

Glebe

Speaking of new horrors, The Darkness currently has an 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, much to Kevin Bacon's astonishment:

Only 12 reviews so far, but still, 12 out of 12 ain't good. Twitch give it a good write-up, however.