Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 751
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'The Woods' (2016) - A Secret Sequel to 'The Blair Witch Project'?

Started by St_Eddie, May 11, 2016, 05:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

What do we reckon about the BWP, then, do we think they went back in time (hence the lack of roads, the Parr house still standing rather than being burned down etc.)?  Or is it just a big witchy hoobajooba.  Or is it hillbillies.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Glebe on May 14, 2016, 12:42:30 AM
Speaking of new horrors, The Darkness currently has an 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, much to Kevin Bacon's astonishment:

Pitch Black III: Meet the Bacons

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 14, 2016, 04:48:53 AM
What do we reckon about the BWP, then, do we think they went back in time (hence the lack of roads, the Parr house still standing rather than being burned down etc.)?  Or is it just a big witchy hoobajooba.  Or is it hillbillies.

I don't think it matters. The raw pagan menace in the film transcends human analysis. As with all things ancient, humanity is a fleeting annoyance.

St_Eddie

What do we reckon about the BWP, then, do we think they went back in time (hence the lack of roads, the Parr house still standing rather than being burned down etc.)?

It was almost certainly the intention of the filmmakers that the group had traveled back in time but as always, it's completely open to interpretation.

The filmmakers have said that there's an ancient evil in the Maryland woods that's far older than Elly Kedward.  Elly is just one of many whom became absorbed by the evil (as were the children murdered by Rustin Parr Kyle Brody apparently, as evidenced by the laughter at night and the rustling of the tent).

Avril Lavigne

I like the angle that the witch placed them in a kind of timewarp and the bundle of sticks with Josh's teeth inside was some kind of magic that allowed her to use his voice to call the others to the Parr house.  Also Mike could have been doing the Witch's bidding from the start, which would explain what he's doing in the very final scene, not to mention the stickman shaved out of his chest hair.

That said, it's so open to interpretation that I really enjoy keeping a different theory in mind every time I watch the movie and sometimes that leads to some really neat re-contextualization of certain scenes or details.

This thread reminds me I should finally get around to buying the BWP Dossier which came out just a few days after the movie, as it has a bunch of police reports, pages from Heather's diary and other stuff that appears only briefly in the Curse of the Blair Witch documentary.

BlodwynPig

Never noticed the stickman shaved out of his chest hair.

-another great bit- when Heather is fleeing the tent and seems to see something in the dark "what the fuck is that, what the fuck is that!!!" (paraphrasing). Heather the actress obviously seeing something (set up by the Directors, or maybe the directors themselves), gives it genuine terror.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 14, 2016, 01:30:30 PM
-another great bit- when Heather is fleeing the tent and seems to see something in the dark "what the fuck is that, what the fuck is that!!!" (paraphrasing). Heather the actress obviously seeing something (set up by the Directors, or maybe the directors themselves), gives it genuine terror.

Absolutely, if I recall correctly it was the art director running around dressed head-to-toe in white clothing with white stockings over his head.

The chest hair thing is part of the early scenes where the group are still in high spirits and Josh & Heather make fun of Mike's chest for having 'sporadic hair patterns'.  They say stuff like 'I can see Bolivia', but the only pattern you can actually make out is basically the shape of the stickman symbol.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 14, 2016, 02:55:16 PM
Absolutely, if I recall correctly it was the art director running around dressed head-to-toe in white clothing with white stockings over his head.

Correct.  However, a makeshift KKK member running alongside our two remaining protagonists is certainly not what I choose to visualise in my head when watching the scene!

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 14, 2016, 02:55:16 PM...the only pattern you can actually make out is basically the shape of the stickman symbol.

Huh, really?  I never noticed that! I very much doubt that it's intentional though.  In fact, when talking about that particular moment on the Blu-Ray's audio commentary, neither Eduardo Sánchez, nor Daniel Myrick  mention anything about it; in fact, I seem to recall them laughing at Mike's chest hair and saying how odd it is in reality.  None the less, it's certainly a very interesting interpretation of what was most in all likelihood, merely intended as a bit of levity, prior to the storm of a terrifying film.  Having said that, I will now be sure to keep an eye out for it, the next time that I watch the film.

thraxx

At the beginning of BWP, what is the music that they are playing when they are loading their car?  I always thought that it was Pavement, which gave me instant respect.

Just seen that the film is only 81 minutes long - for a film where supposingly nothing is going on there is loads crammed in there.

I can't believe that people actually liked the BWP 2; it's a fucking terrible film.

Does anyone know of a good documentary about the making of BWP?  I'm kind of interested about how they directed and filmed it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thraxx on May 14, 2016, 08:55:39 PM

Does anyone know of a good documentary about the making of BWP?  I'm kind of interested about how they directed and filmed it.

Yes, its called Blair Witch Project

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 14, 2016, 04:24:26 PM
Huh, really?  I never noticed that! I very much doubt that it's intentional though.  In fact, when talking about that particular moment on the Blu-Ray's audio commentary, neither Eduardo Sánchez, nor Daniel Myrick  mention anything about it; in fact, I seem to recall them laughing at Mike's chest hair and saying how odd it is in reality.  None the less, it's certainly a very interesting interpretation of what was most in all likelihood, merely intended as a bit of levity, prior to the storm of a terrifying film.  Having said that, I will now be sure to keep an eye out for it, the next time that I watch the film.

Here's a screenshot so you can make your own mind up at least :) While it could very easily be a meaningless bit of levity, I do tend to lean into the idea that nothing a film director/editor puts onscreen is there by accident.
http://i.imgur.com/yRKtxck.png

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 15, 2016, 12:49:16 AM
http://i.imgur.com/yRKtxck.png
Oh, come on.  That's almost convincing.  Stop being so convincing, lady.  Fucking hell.  Any one would think that you knew what the fuck you were were talking about.  For fuck's sake!  Bloody intelligent, knowledgeable, bastard shit head, that you are.  Sort it out!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 15, 2016, 01:55:23 AM
Seriously? That's not even remotely convincing.

And then what?  It's an interesting story; please continue....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving on, I'm planning to record a YouTube video, which will detail the known facts from The Blair Witch Project and its three spin off documentaries.  Going by my barometer of measurement in terms of creative momentum; I plan for the video to be finished, edited and uploaded by approximately 2076 (give or take a decade or two).

BlodwynPig

By 2076, there will be a motorway through those woods and Mary Brown will be turning tricks near the hot dog stall.

Custard

Love all this praise for BWP. Another massive fan here. I thought about Heather screaming "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!" at something unseen, just off camera, the other night, and a bleedin' chill went up my spine.

The unseen horror is the best horror, no question

Mark Steels Stockbroker

This is why the only time The Master is scary in DW is in Logopolis eps 1 & 2, when he is off-screen.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

BWP2 has the Ghostwatch factor of "aaah, did you spot that bit, aaah".

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

hewantstolurkatad

I thought the general consensus had turned around ages ago to settle on BWP being a bit fucking great.

Saw it myself when I was about 12 (2003) at the peak of the backlash, think I was going into it to laugh at its silliness or something. Fucking thing creeped the bejesus out of me, easily the most successful horror film experience I've had.
Gonna rewatch it now, I think. Why the fuck not.

Custard

It's deffo a film only to be watched in the dark, preferably alone

Watching with someone who doesn't GET IT, is the pits

"Is that it? You don't even see nuffin!" - a genuine quote from a cunt, somewhere in this shitty world, right fucking now

Glebe

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 15, 2016, 01:55:23 AM
Seriously? That's not even remotely convincing.

I've revisited that shot of Mike's sporadic hair now that I've sobered up and indeed, it's really not very convincing.  At all[nb]Although if I really squint, tilt my head at a 90 degree angle and jump up and down whilst pounding my crotch; I can just about make out an image of a stick man doing the splits.[/nb].

However, it does make me wonder what sort of things one could potentially see and interpret, when watching The Blair Witch Project drunk.  Would most likely become convinced that the film features six protagonists, consisting of three sets of identical twins.  Maybe even see the grand unifying theory of everything inscribed within the hairs on Mike's ample bosom.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 15, 2016, 03:49:35 PM
I've revisited that shot of Mike's sporadic hair now that I've sobered up and indeed, it's really not very convincing.  At all

For reals??

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 15, 2016, 05:35:53 PM
For reals??

We're through the looking glass here, people.

What other secrets are contained on Mike's chest?  Perhaps if we zoom in on his pert nips, we shall see the witch herself!

BlodwynPig

Mini

Quote from: Glebe on May 14, 2016, 12:42:30 AM
Speaking of new horrors, The Darkness currently has an 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, much to Kevin Bacon's astonishment:

Only 12 reviews so far, but still, 12 out of 12 ain't good. Twitch give it a good write-up, however.

I saw this last night and reviewed it here. I'm sorry for plugging so I'll just summarise here: it's shit (for cunts).

Brundle-Fly

BW1 is a masterpiece although my girlfriend at the time fucked the end for me. I was watching it on my own in the dark and in the final three minutes of the film, she barged into the room switching all the lights on and started moaning loudly about how all the servers had gone down in her department and the whole day had been a nightmare and was there any wine left from the night before etc.

Ruined.

I used to get a lot of horror DVDs from Psychotronic Video in Camden market and I remember the manager dismissing it with the phrase, "Twigs aren't scary." He liked his horror to be very crimson.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 19, 2016, 12:08:18 PM
BW1 is a masterpiece although my girlfriend at the time fucked the end for me. I was watching it on my own in the dark and in the final three minutes of the film, she barged into the room switching all the lights on and started moaning loudly about how all the servers had gone down in her department and the whole day had been a nightmare and was there any wine left from the night before etc.

Ruined.

I take it things didn't last much longer with her then?