Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

10 billion trillion trillion carat diamond found

Started by Marcus Or Relius, February 16, 2004, 08:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus Or Relius

Holy pure-carbon arse-biscuits!

If we ever bother to get to grips with interstellar travel that'd be a pretty nifty spot for some sight-seeing.

There's probably already a gang of ruthless shotgun-wielding robbers speeding towards it in a stolen space shuttle intent on swiping it, not knowing that the Flying Squad are lurking behind a nearby nebula, menacingly patting their zero-G truncheons into the palms of their hands.

I used to love astronomy as a teenager, I even had a four-and-a-half-inch (snigger etc) telescope with which to look at distant objects in the night-sky whilst other youths were wasting their time clubbing and getting pissed and having girlfriends and so on.

Hairy Chin

QuoteThe white dwarf is not only radiant but also rings like a gigantic gong

Lovely!

Actually how do they know? Sound can't travel in space.

Vermschneid Mehearties

terminallyrelaxed

Yeah I saw this on the BBC website today. It never ceases to amaze me the thigs they find out there. Of course the whole 'universe being infinite' thing may well mean that basically everything is out there, but its that fact that we can see it or at least tell what it is, even now.
In fact its a bit of a kick in the nuts. "Hey, look at all this cool stuff. Shame you'll be at least a couple of thousand years dead before your species figures out how to get there, if they don't wipe each other out first..."
Its  all radiotelescopes innit? So they're just listening to radio noise and can decipher the nature of stellar bodies by the radiation they give off, yes? At least thats how I understand it, thats what Jodie Foster said anyway.
And Hubble actually is a big lens, not a radiotelescope, am I right? So thats why it can see fucking gert bit galaxies a long way off, and nebulas and that, but can't do planetary detail beyond our own solar system...don't ask me what my point s, I forgot it long ago.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Yeah, they thought  the diamond was worth billions until they cut it open and found it was bought from Ratners.

Mecha Jesus - Mk II

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Of course the whole 'universe being infinite' thing may well mean that basically everything is out there

Cowboy planets and gangster worlds, or so Futurama says.

Timmay

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"

And it looks exactly like that.
Well some little skally has already pilfered a quarter of it!

Vermschneid Mehearties

Well...y'know. I got a huge digger for christmas. It'd be a shame not to waste it.

The chunk's in my backgarden, annoying my neighbours who think we've just bought a fucking powerful security light. I'll be cashing it in at the bank tomorrow.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Pinball

This could adversely affect the diamond market.... in 10,000 years time.