Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:53:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dear Tony Slattery, I've got to get something off my chest....

Started by Jake Thingray, May 17, 2016, 09:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

It's the "partner of 35 years" bit I find shocking. I assumed he lived alone.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Blumf on May 16, 2019, 12:04:09 AM
Something from that interview raised a question:

A psychiatrist once said to me: 'Bear in mind that some things are so deeply buried there is nothing to be gained by an archeological dig. Keep it buried,'" he says.

Is that good advice? Would it be better to air that stuff?

Depends whether your goal is functioning day to day or some sort of Jungian self-reckoning. If the former, then it's probably good advice yeah.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 30, 2020, 03:19:07 PM
I can't be the only person here who saw this thread being bumped and assumed he'd got Corona and died.
Almost - I assumed he'd got Corona and hanged himself.

That must be the third or fourth worst thing I've ever said.

Would it be fair to say he's kind of like the George Best of comedy?

Captain Crunch

Probably fairer to say George Best is the Tony Slattery of darts.

Cerys

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Replies From View

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 10, 2020, 10:03:51 PM
Would it be fair to say he's kind of like the George Best of comedy?

Or the George from Rainbow of comedy.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

A reminder that this starts tonight at 9pm on BBC Two. It's a tough watch.

Very sad.  Seems like his well meaning partner is enabling him.  And he could do with quitting the plonk.

the science eel

He HAS to quit the booze. It wasn't addressed.

The woman therapist really pissed me off when she said 'well now hm isn't it strange that you managed to quit cocaine so easily yet this is eluding you?' - and he sat back and rubbed his face and went 'wow...yes...I hadn't thought of that...' and she sat back smiling smugly.

We're talking about two very different things. In every case.

...Oh, I gave this a go, but it's too hard to watch.  Maybe I'll revisit.

daimoniac

apropos of nothing - here he is with the Suggestibles improv crew in Newcastle

https://youtu.be/SMYsZRCBmh8

the science eel

daimoniac

Quote from: the science eel on May 21, 2020, 11:14:17 PM
Did you get the two laughs?

alas, this level of improv is way above anything i can muster. i might go back for a second try when all this lockdown shite is done with. the suggestibles are pretty good live, as are the spin off group spontaneous wrecks.

when i saw this i was shocked to Tony him doing the circuit - i knew nothing of what had happened to him and just kind of thought he'd gone off to either do something else or got a production gig or something

the science eel

Quote from: daimoniac on May 21, 2020, 11:23:17 PM
alas, this level of improv is way above anything i can muster. i might go back for a second try when all this lockdown shite is done with. the suggestibles are pretty good live, as are the spin off group spontaneous wrecks.

sorry! I meant in the Slattery doc

Quote from: the science eel on May 21, 2020, 10:21:21 PM
The woman therapist really pissed me off when she said 'well now hm isn't it strange that you managed to quit cocaine so easily yet this is eluding you?' - and he sat back and rubbed his face and went 'wow...yes...I hadn't thought of that...' and she sat back smiling smugly.

We're talking about two very different things. In every case.

I got the impression that, although he's very honest, Slattery was being polite in that scene. I find it difficult to believe that this has never occurred to him before, but as you say, just because you've managed to give up one form of substance abuse doesn't mean you can easily give up another one. It's not as straightforward as that, which is something you would expect a qualified therapist to be aware of.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" ...which may have caused some brain damage."

FUCKING HELL.

Quote from: the science eel on May 21, 2020, 11:14:17 PM
Did you get the two laughs?

I'm not sure what you mean. I liked Tony's story about getting The Lord's Prayer wrong as a kid ("How are you by the way?") and the bit where he fell over in the corridor before pointing at the camera in a "Ha! Fooled you, I haven't actually collapsed" way. Were those the laughs you're referring to?

the science eel

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 21, 2020, 11:33:04 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. I liked Tony's story about getting The Lord's Prayer wrong as a kid ("How are you by the way?") and the bit where he fell over in the corridor before pointing at the camera in a "Ha! Fooled you, I haven't actually collapsed" way. Were those the laughs you're referring to?

Yes!

And the very last bit, where they asked him a silly question as he was sat in the chair, alone. That was sweet.

So three, then.

Ah! Of course. And yeah, the last line was rather lovely.

I thought that was a very well-made programme. In lesser hands it could've come across as voyeuristic, exploitative, sentimental and patronising, but instead it was very sensitive and honest.

Slattery worrying about coming across as self-absorbed was something most of us can relate to?

Aw man, poor Tony.
Lots I could relate to in that. I'm gonna try and stop drinking.
Man, you could just feel the pain, it was exhausting just looking at his face sometimes.
I'd been worried about him since I heard that radio interview Iain Lee did with him. Hope he's in a better place now.
He seems like such a kind, gentle bloke.
I know exactly what he means about those fucking forms where you have to turn emotions into numbers. It's so hard, I used to dread doing those!
Was nice to see his boyfriend stuck by him through everything. He could have been long gone without that kind of support.

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on May 21, 2020, 10:11:55 PMVery sad.  Seems like his well meaning partner is enabling him.

Yeah, I did think that too, he could be doing as much harm as he's doing good. Complicated.

Dewt

that destroyed me

i think more than anything that he is worried about getting help being a self-indulgent thing but that it might be okay if somebody who isn't him is helped as a side effect

i know exactly how that is. that it can't be anything real or important that is wrong with you, it's other people who deserve that.

there was maybe a five minute break in the entire thing where i wasn't shaking with tears

the science eel

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 22, 2020, 12:16:11 AM
Ah! Of course. And yeah, the last line was rather lovely.

I thought that was a very well-made programme. In lesser hands it could've come across as voyeuristic, exploitative, sentimental and patronising, but instead it was very sensitive and honest.

Slattery worrying about coming across as self-absorbed was something most of us can relate to?

Yes, I think so. Notice how often he used the word 'self-indulgent'? and a couple of synonyms (so maybe he was aware he could be repeating himself)?

Did they call him an alcoholic at any point during the show? I don't think they did. It was all this talk about 'cutting down', which is a bit like telling a self-harmer that they can just slap themselves a bit. Unhelpful.