Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:46:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dear Tony Slattery, I've got to get something off my chest....

Started by Jake Thingray, May 17, 2016, 09:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Looks more like a genial Agent Cooper (From "Twin Peaks").

Pseudopath

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 14, 2019, 10:12:46 PM
I had no idea he was gay until I read that article, to think, all those years of fancying him and I really was in with a (tiny) chance of seducing him had we met.

Same here. Could have sworn that him and Josie Lawrence were an item back in the day, but Google says no.

Icehaven

the

I saw him on stage at the Slapstick Festival in January, and, though ravaged and slurry, he was still great. Sharp, funny, still willing to jump into a bit of physical comedy, and always whirling off onto tangential anecdotes. His recall slows him down, but everything's still there.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 29, 2019, 08:08:44 AM
He's turned into an old man - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/apr/29/tony-slattery-had-very-happy-time-went-slightly-barmy

Good interview, that. I could have done without The Freemanster saying he looks ten years older than he actually is, and commenting on the faint smell of alcohol coming off him, mind you.

NoOffenceLynn

Yeah, I though Hadley was trying too hard to give an "honest and raw" interview and the barbs about his weight and generally looking knackered weren't really needed. The photos of him say everything.

But I liked him after reading it, seems he has really been through the mill. Hope he does get an agent after the reunion of Whose Line. He deserves that and a bit of happiness too.

Icehaven

Yeah the other article posted further up also mentions that he ''sipped white wine throughout our interview'', which I thought was a bit of a mean detail to include, but then it was from a tabloid.

biggytitbo

Hadley Freeman is always awful, don't follow her on twitter.

up_the_hampipe

I do love Tony. That's very sad. Didn't really see much of a problem with Freeman's writing, perhaps a bit sensationalist but that's journalism for ya.

thraxx

I always though Tony Slattery was great, he always just oozes charisma.

He'll always be young dashing and suave in my minds eye, so eagerly clicking on the link and seeing the photo was a bit like that bit in Escape to Victory when Michael Caine sends for the Polish footballers and then they turn up skeletal fresh from the concentration camp.

boki

In the brochures for this year's Leicester Comedy Festival, ol' Slatters was the only listed patron with a currently-functioning pulse.  Y'all know what done mean 'round these here parts...

Blumf

Quote from: boki on April 29, 2019, 01:30:31 PM
In the brochures for this year's Leicester Comedy Festival, ol' Slatters was the only listed patron with a currently-functioning pulse.  Y'all know what done mean 'round these here parts...

He collects mechanical beans?

Quote from: Pseudopath on April 15, 2019, 09:37:51 AM
Same here. Could have sworn that him and Josie Lawrence were an item back in the day, but Google says no.

Y'all can keep Mr Debonair, Josie was the WLIIA hottie.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Here's a Lisa JAMC Slatteryfact; I have known he is gay since 1992.

Jockice

I always get him mixed up with that bloke who left showbiz to become an insurance salesman in Doncaster.

Jockice

It was a Nick, but it was Hancock. I've just remembered that.

Jake Thingray

I never could work out if the besotted American fansites for Slattery, around the millennium, that repeatedly stated he was heterosexual with a flourishing career, were genuinely that misinformed, or simply wanted to keep their illusions.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Unfortunately, Slattery now resembles a cross breed between David Jason and Bob Fleming from The Fast Show.

up_the_hampipe

On the bright side, this renewed interest in Slattery reminded me of his lovely Shoot Somebody Famous performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEBoTPWj1wI

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 29, 2019, 03:41:09 PM
Unfortunately, Slattery now resembles a cross breed between David Jason and Bob Fleming from The Fast Show.

Oh, Lordy! That is uncannily accurate!

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 29, 2019, 10:42:47 AM
I do love Tony. That's very sad. Didn't really see much of a problem with Freeman's writing, perhaps a bit sensationalist but that's journalism for ya.

Tony seems happy enough with the interview.

https://twitter.com/TheTonySlattery/status/1122777545353637888

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 29, 2019, 03:52:35 PM

I'm glad about that. Got a soft spot for top former Lisa Jesusandmarychain/ Eddie Argos from outta Art Brut lookalike Tony Slattery, so I have (thankfully, I havenae quite aged in so much of a comtemporaneous manner alongside him, as, say, Jeanette Charles has done with the Queen. Not yet, anyway ). Remember "Just A Gigolo" ? An amusing little sitcom, that was. Tony's a charmer, isn't he?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

bigfatheart

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 29, 2019, 03:52:35 PM

That's good, as I was reading it I was hoping he'd be OK with it. I can see why he would be - it's pretty brutal at times but if that's where he's at and he feels it depicts him well, then why not?

I'm too young to remember his oversaturation (overSlatturation?) in the 90s, so the first time I saw him was a repeat of the Tub of Lard episode of Have I Got News For You. I've had very few non-heterosexual leanings in my time, but I remember vividly being very taken with him. He was handsome, sophisticated and cool. Soon after, Dave started repeating Whose Line Is It Anyway, and I was surprised to see that he was short, giggly and quite camp. I suppose sitting next to Ian Hislop does wonders for anyone.

neveragain

What a sad article, particularly (well, the abuse aspect is the saddest part but most notable bit was) his showbiz/'Whose Line' chums ditching him when his fortunes turned. Twats. I too hope his best is yet to come.