Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Started by Shaky, May 25, 2016, 04:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

Haven't read anything on CaB about this - vast pinch of salt at the ready - but it looks like Terry Gilliam's longggg attempted version of Don Quixote might be getting off the ground again. Perhaps.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36323322

As was rumoured a couple of years ago, Michael Palin is set to play the lead and I'm really excited by that choice. He's got that interesting, lived in face these days and been giving some good straight performances in recent years after a long period of non-acting. Adam Driver is replacing Depp and he's pretty tops too, I think.

So... anyone still excited for this after 15 - 20 years of ups and downs? Sounds like Gilliam will be using a lot of his familiar tropes which could go either way at this stage, but if nothing else you've got to admire the guy's persistence.

Noodle Lizard

Johnny Depp is a senile mad evil twat, that's all there is to it.

Skip Bittman

Hard not to identify with "I want to get this film out of my life," there's a line that should resonate with creative types. Sounds fun! The casting sounds good, too. Quite like that after the massively heightened profile from Star Wars, Driver picks this cursed Gilliam project to work on.

A career strategy also pursued by the likes of... oh wait.

Boy, I wonder what that producer will be like to work with tho, if he's spouting shit about wanting Gilliam the director not actor... "the film's latest iteration will not permit a documentary crew on set." Ha! Understandable, but why tell the PRESS that?!?! Is this going to end in competing full page ads in Variety?

Shaky

Quote from: Skip Bittman on May 25, 2016, 05:08:19 AM
Boy, I wonder what that producer will be like to work with tho, if he's spouting shit about wanting Gilliam the director not actor... "the film's latest iteration will not permit a documentary crew on set." Ha! Understandable, but why tell the PRESS that?!?! Is this going to end in competing full page ads in Variety?

Heh, indeed. It's basically a case of, "Little Terry isn't allowed to come out of his room to play until he's finished his homework!" Suitably Pythonesque, but an odd thing to blurt out when execs generally avoid yammering over the talent in public.

It is pretty amazing that anyone still wants to invest in this film, though - they must feel he can deliver the goods on some level. Perhaps some tough Portugese love will go a long way and finally get the fucker finished.

Bhazor

How many more people have to die in the making of this movie before Guilliam calls it quits?

Steven

Quote from: Bhazor on May 25, 2016, 05:39:02 PM
How many more people have to die in the making of this movie before Guilliam calls it quits?

It's his Oak Island, isn't it? It's gonna have to take him with it, the first Hollywood directorial snuff movie.

biggytitbo

Only the one guy died though? I know Hurt got cancer but he's not dead is he?

I think the Palin casting is incredibly exciting, it has to be said.

Shaky

Jean Rochefort just fell off his horse or something, didn't he? The old goose is actually still alive... probably to Gilliam's annoyance.

Shit Good Nose

Just keep Depp away from it.

I swear, if Gilliam ends up giving him an extended cameo or summat, I will rip out his rectum.

Noodle Lizard

Not Adam Driverrrr ... for fuck's sake, why do decent directors keep casting that gormless trout of a man?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 20, 2016, 12:47:43 PM
Not Adam Driverrrr ... for fuck's sake, why do decent directors keep casting that gormless trout of a man?

Aww, he's okay.

Rather him than Depp any day of the week.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 20, 2016, 12:51:41 PM
Aww, he's okay.

He isn't.  His performance in Midnight Special had me hooting (unintentionally).

Shit Good Nose

I've not seen Midnight Special, but he's good in:
Inside Llewyn Davies
This Is Where I Leave You
Hungry Hearts
Tracks
What If?

and he's by far the best thing about both Girls and Frances Ha, two things which I otherwise absolutely loathe.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 20, 2016, 01:08:46 PM
I've not seen Midnight Special, but he's good in:
Inside Llewyn Davies

He's barely in it.  I think that was the first time I saw him, though, and found him instantly annoying.  And that While We're Young.  Fair enough, he's meant to be annoying, but he somehow isn't even very good at doing that on purpose.  Total gorm.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 20, 2016, 01:08:46 PM
and he's by far the best thing about both Girls and Frances Ha, two things which I otherwise absolutely loathe.

Yes, I'll give you that he's not the worst thing about these horrible things.

I think Depp would've been great for it at the time he was originally supposed to be in it.  Now it'd be fucking terrible, of course, presumably with him insisting on wearing a giant prosthetic nose and a poncho.

Glebe

Terry Gilliam Says 'The Man Who Killed Don Quixote' Has Been "Slightly Delayed" Again.

Quote"I was supposed to start to be shooting it starting next Monday. It's been slightly delayed. I had this producer, a Portuguese chap, who claimed he'd get all the money together in time. And a few weeks ago, he proved that he didn't have the money," Gilliam said."So we are still marching forward. It is not dead. I will be dead before the film is."

Fuck's sake!

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 20, 2016, 12:58:45 PM
He isn't.  His performance in Midnight Special had me hooting (unintentionally).
Ah now, that film was a f*cking disaster and the way that character was written was the worst part of the lot. Lord knows why he took it on if the script was at all like the final product.

Skip Bittman

That producer seemed like a real idiot, not surprising that he's a liar as well.

Glebe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 20, 2016, 01:17:35 PMI think Depp would've been great for it at the time he was originally supposed to be in it.  Now it'd be fucking terrible, of course, presumably with him insisting on wearing a giant prosthetic nose and a poncho.

Shaky

Fucking hell, Gilliam just can't get any breaks with this.

Glebe

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Glebe on October 15, 2016, 03:01:20 AM
And just to rub it in...

Don Quixote Movie in the Works at Disney (Exclusive).

Yes, I believe that's the same one Depp signed on for a couple of years back after blowing Gilliam off for years, forcing him to postpone continually, and then not even discussing it with him.  From what I recall, Gilliam found out about it the same way we did.

Don't know if Depp's still attached, you'd think they'd mention it in the article.

EDIT: Yes, evidently this isn't the Depp Disney Don Quixote[nb]Day Today Horse Names[/nb].  But I only just realised from that article that Depp's version had signed on the writer of The Hot Tub Time Machine to pen the adaptation.  The writer of The Hot Tub Time Machine ... to do Don Quixote.  Kay.

Shit Good Nose

Hang on - Jonathan Pryce?????

Last I heard, probably in January or February, was that he was filming with Michael Palin.

So has he managed to do the whole thing in about 2 months after losing yet another lead?

Shaky

Yeah, just read about this. Gutted Palin is out but Pryce is an excellent actor and, of course, he's got a long running thing going with Gilliam.

The Roofdog

Hadn't heard about Palin leaving this either. Did he do any filming with Palin then?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: The Roofdog on June 05, 2017, 01:38:16 PM
Hadn't heard about Palin leaving this either. Did he do any filming with Palin then?

The last proper bit of news I read about the production was when it started filming a few months ago, and that definitely said that Palin was Quixote.

Curious to know what happened there, but this article is quite informative (although light on nitty-gritty on the most recent iteration of the production) - http://www.thedailybeast.com/terry-gilliams-long-strange-not-yet-doomed-don-quixote-quest

Black_Bart

To confirm, Palin in an interview (Loose Ends IMS) said he was in it and they were just waiting for more money.