Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:50:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Started by Shaky, May 25, 2016, 04:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black_Bart

Heard it's in the can, and into PP.

Shaky

Yeah - unless they're playing a horrible prank on both Palin and Pryce, Pryce is definitely playing the title role.

saltysnacks

I'm really looking forward to this.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Shaky on June 15, 2017, 11:59:33 PM
Yeah - unless they're playing a horrible prank on both Palin and Pryce

Well, Terrence Malick sorta did that to Adrien Brody...

Glebe

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on November 03, 2017, 05:03:47 AM
Bit late with this, but anyway:

Lost in La Mancha's Jean Rochefort, veteran French actor, dies at 87.

QuoteRochefort was withering about working with Gilliam, telling French television in 2014 that the American director had starved his horse before shooting began to make it look haggard. An experienced horseman, Rochefort said he was shocked to see "the people around me had apples tied to their backs" so the horse would follow them. He said the horse died the day after he left the set.

Blimey.  Didn't know that.

Glebe

Fuck, didn't see that bit. That's fucked if true.

MikeShaft

That'd make it at least two animal deaths on Gilliam sets.
I want to love Gilliam, but I just find him irritating now. Although I still definitely want to see this.

Replies From View

Quote from: MikeShaft on November 08, 2017, 09:30:44 PM
That'd make it at least two animal deaths on Gilliam sets.

What was the other?

MikeShaft

A lion supposedly died on the set of Baron Munchausen.

Glebe

And then there's Gilliam apparently bullying Lena Headley on the set of The Brothers Grimm.

mobias

People have Terry Gilliam up on a pedestal but I remember reading an interview with Eric Idle where he said Gilliam was one of the most difficult people he'd ever met and that at one point or other he'd managed to fall out with every member of the Python team. You can totally see that in him I think. On the one hand he seems really easy going and totally down to earth but on the other you see these glimpses of him being a total fucking maniac. I really don't think you manage to survive a shoot let alone make a film like Baron Munchausen without being a total fucking maniac.

zomgmouse

It's probably just that he has a very specific vision and retains his perfectionism to extremes while shooting. Might stem from his being an animator, a medium where he can literally control pretty much every aspect of the process.

Replies From View

Quote from: zomgmouse on November 12, 2017, 08:44:11 PM
It's probably just that he has a very specific vision and retains his perfectionism to extremes while shooting. Might stem from his being an animator, a medium where he can literally control pretty much every aspect of the process.

"DIE NOW, HORSE!"

Small Man Big Horse

This was shown at Cannes to mixed reviews, and now Gillam has somehow lost the rights to the film: https://io9.gizmodo.com/terry-gilliam-has-lost-the-rights-to-the-man-who-killed-1826899861

QuoteTerry Gilliam Has Lost the Rights to The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Well, this is a strange new chapter in one of the strangest stories in modern film. For decades, famed genre director (and former Monty Python, uh, snake) Terry Gilliam struggled to make The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, his own surreal take on the classic Spanish novel. He succeeded, finally, with a rendition starring Adam Driver, and the film premiered this year at Cannes Film Festival.

Except, uh, apparently Terry Gilliam just lost the rights to it. Yes, that's correct: as reported by Screen Rant, the Paris Court of Appeal just ruled in favor of the film's former producer, Paulo Brancho, who sued for rights to the project on the grounds that Gilliam made the film illegally.

According to Branco and the production company Alfama, which he owns, Gilliam and his crew did not hold the rights to make the film. As quoted by Screen Daily, Branco said:

The film belongs in its entirety to [the production company Alfama Films]. The film was made illegally. It's the first time I've ever seen so many people embark on a mission to produce and exploit a film, without holding the rights. It's a unique case.

Gilliam will also pay a little over $10,000 in damages to Alfama Films, and the company will be seeking similar recompense from the film's production crew and the Cannes Film Festival.

So that's it, then: Terry Gilliam does not own The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. Will the embattled film ever get released? Will Terry Gilliam get his revenge? Will someone tell Don Quixote that those are just windmills? Who can say. I certainly can't: this story is wild.

Bhazor

I have a feeling the extras on the blu ray will be far better than the film.

Shaky

Gilliam might well be at fault here but it's hard not to feel terribly for him. 20 years to get his passion project made and it's not even his. And apparently not even that good. I'd always hoped he'd have one last, brilliant film in him but time's running out.

momatt

Poor bugger.
Lawyers fucking ruin everything.

Replies From View

Aw fuck, poor guy.  Those bastards are going to drive him into depression if they haven't already.

Shaky

He seems in reasonable spirits going by a couple of responses on his Facebook page, although that's hardly a decent barometer of his inner feelings or anything.

Replies From View

Will they be able to release a Lost in La Mancha 2, or do they not own the rights to a documentary film either?

Jerzy Bondov

It would certainly be a terrible shame if somebody were to leak this film online.

momatt

Quote from: Replies From View on June 19, 2018, 08:37:40 AM
Will they be able to release a Lost in La Mancha 2, or do they not own the rights to a documentary film either?

That would be a hilarious title.  I can imagine the making-of being better than the film anyway.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on June 19, 2018, 08:37:40 AM

The same people who made Lost in La Mancha actually have filmed a follow-up documentary for Gilliam's now completed film.  Hopefully said documentary won't be held up in legal red tape.  Either way, I'm positive that these rights issues will be sorted and everything will see an official release at some point.  Perhaps they'll even add an addendum to the documentary to cover the legal troubles, which will only make it all the more fascinating to watch.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Replies From View on June 18, 2018, 04:59:13 PM
Aw fuck, poor guy.  Those bastards are going to drive him into depression if they haven't already.

Nah, he loves the whole 'everything's against me, the man's putting me down and even the elements conspire against me' thing. He'll be loving this.

biggytitbo

To clarify, this production company now has rights to a film they didn't make themselves or fund?

Funcrusher

Can't he argue that Don Quixote is out of copyright?

olliebean

I guess some of the work on this specific production must have been done whilst that production company owned the rights. If he'd started again completely from scratch, since the source material is public domain, I don't see how they'd have had any claim on it.

Must have been a bloody awful contract, though, if they still get to own the rights despite not having provided any funding.

biggytitbo

If thats the case doesn't that guarantee it'll get released? I mean its free profit isnt it?

Desirable Industrial Unit

Eventually, you'd think.  The company won't want any of the existing distribution deals to stand, though, and they could be aggressive enough to permanently stall the thing if they don't get a big enough cut.  'Some money' being better than 'no money' seems like a bit of an alien concept in the film industry, and companies really dig their heels in. Look at how Fox treats its archive stuff.

I'm really not arsed about this film.  It sounded like a bit of a shit idea when it originally failed, and Gilliam got everything resembling a masterpiece out of him very early.  I want it to come out for his sake though, because I'm convinced that once it does he might have a clear enough head to make one final decent film.  It just needs to be out of the way.