Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:13:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No Man's Sky

Started by Shay Chaise, May 26, 2016, 10:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

After finally announcing a release date of June, this will apparently be delayed until later in the year. No concrete info yet, just stickers sent out to Gamestop to cover up the release date with 'Coming Soon'.

I was surprised there's no thread for this already. I am mildly excited for it - it's the only game I'm looking forward to now - but I do expect it to fall short of what I imagine.

For starters, the whole taking off and flying through the atmosphere and vice versa blew my mind at first, but now I suspect it's basically a cut scene type transition, which kills the magic for me.

Likewise, while the scale of it is amazing, and the idea of spending months walking around one single planet is mind blowing, what is the value without enormous environmental and geological variety? At the moment, every planet looks pretty flat and sparse. You need really dense flora and verticality.

Anyone else anything else?

Penfold

Quote from: Johnny Textface on May 26, 2016, 10:58:52 AM
In what world is there no thread for it?

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=43739.0

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49029.0

I'm looking forward to next year's thread.

Still excited for this, even if it's just flying around and landing in different instagram filters.

Ignatius_S

But anyway, yeah, this is being discussed a lot on another forum I'm on. At the moment, it's pretty difficult to read much into this (assuming the rumours are true) – if it's to add PSVR and/or to squash some bugs, then a slight delay is fine in my book.

Because of the length of time from the reveal to when the June date was mooted, a fair few people's excitement appears to have evaporated and another slight delay, I don't think is a massive deal.
Quote from: Johnny Textface on May 26, 2016, 10:58:52 AM
In what world is there no thread for it?

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=43739.0

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49029.0

I was going to say that there has been more than one thread about the game, but also that they're old and, due to a lack of concrete information and the length of time since by the announcement, there wasn't much in them and was am doubtful about how much worth there would be reviving them.

Going from memory, but I sure there was more discussion in more general gaming threads (which people tend to prefer) and suspect those posts would be the ones worth dredging up.

kittens

why is it that other planets are always 'desert planet' or 'jungle planet' or 'ice planet', like they are all always just one thing all over. planet earth has all of the different kinds of areas. more planets should be like earth in my opinion

Hollow

I'm really interested in this, but know deep down it probably won't be fun for me.

Big Jack McBastard

It increasingly looks like there's very little to it other than the first couple of places you'll land where you'll probably go 'Ooh cool' and then gradually realise that every subsequent planet is a variation on what has already been. Overzealous space cops (as the only other ship capable AI[nb]apparently[/nb]) who wreck your shit if you get a bit too trigger happy on indigenous species have been mentioned and all I've seen are inhabited worlds. Barren ones or gas giants (which would make up most of them IRL) seem to have been omitted or ignored in favour of making the galaxy feel like it's teeming with activity but obviously that'd be way too much if it's every bastard one you set foot on has some neon polka-dot Ronto/Rancor clone plodding past.

brat-sampson

I think everything they've shown has been specially selected to show off inhabited worlds, action cops, etc etc. The actual full game is a lot more likely to feature barren wastes than any trailer or demo, simply because that's just not a great thing to put into a trailer/demo.

I'm still ultimately on the fence with this one, but if it manages to live up to the insane premise, I'm in.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: brat-sampson on May 26, 2016, 03:03:55 PM
I think everything they've shown has been specially selected to show off inhabited worlds, action cops, etc etc. The actual full game is a lot more likely to feature barren wastes than any trailer or demo, simply because that's just not a great thing to put into a trailer/demo.

I'm still ultimately on the fence with this one, but if it manages to live up to the insane premise, I'm in.

The developers said that the vast majority of planets will be barren and have no life (albeit, that's still going to be a lot of planets that will have life).

IIRC, when hacks have been given a look, they have been shown a variety of planets, which I don't think has been reflected in the screenshots that accompanied reports. Articles have shared the same PR assets, so we've been seeing the same images. It might be that those are the ones that were the only ones supplied – however, it's very possible that publications are using the ones that look most interesting, and that sort of things happens a lot.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: brat-sampson on May 26, 2016, 03:03:55 PM

Same. I'm just hoping the novelty of finding a cool planet to set up a base and explore doesn't wear off too soon, and fall to a similar fate of Starbound. Lots of planets, lots of creatures, some technology research, the ability to build a base.... But it also being an empty sandbox with little to keep you exploring after say the first ten planets?

I hope it's going to be good though!

Shay Chaise

I wish I could play this as co-op with my dad and leave him on Qualuun-19.

mobias

I'll be surprised if this turns out to be anything other than a bit of a let down. Apparently the guy behind it is a bit of a twat and a lot of people have come and gone from working on it with him. Not at all surprised its delayed again.

pandadeath

Quote from: mobias on May 26, 2016, 08:36:03 PM
I'll be surprised if this turns out to be anything other than a bit of a let down. Apparently the guy behind it is a bit of a twat and a lot of people have come and gone from working on it with him. Not at all surprised its delayed again.

Indeed, I don't bother watching any of their videos any more because of how irritating I find Sean Murray.

I don't think it will be as much of a disappointment as you, but I don't think it will come close to living up to the hype. The fact that they seem to be delaying it only a month before launch clearly points to major problems. I think due to the procedurally generated nature of the game a lot of the planets will start to feel the same and due to the sheer size of the game it doesn't seem to offer any sort of multiplayer - if you could explore the universe AND have battles with real people then I might be more interested in it. I don't see it becoming a game that people play for very long, it'll be more 'Destiny' than 'World Of Warcraft' in that sense.

Jakey Chesterton

A couple of things stand out to me from the videos I've seen  of this:

1) The transition from space to planet surface is very nifty.

2) The 70s sci-fi paperback cover art aesthetic they've aimed at, they've pulled off very well, and is particularly complimented/facilitated by the game's sense of scale.

That said, the gameplay doesn't look very deep or interesting, but it may be relaxing to wander about in, a bit like aquanauts holiday: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pxB-EamtdgY .

Thursday

QuoteIndeed, I don't bother watching any of their videos any more because of how irritating I find Sean Murray.

It's been odd watching him transition from this charmingly nervous, enthusiastic indie dev, into a kind of Molyneux figure. I think the publicity and pressure must be very bad for one's mental health.

George Oscar Bluth II

This'll have a similar promise to playability ratio to Spore I reckon.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: mobias on May 26, 2016, 08:36:03 PM... Apparently the guy behind it is a bit of a twat...

If so, surely that's a first in game development!

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on May 27, 2016, 11:28:48 AM
This'll have a similar promise to playability ratio to Spore I reckon.

People have been making that comparison for about two years, so you're not alone.

MojoJojo

I know someone who is/was friends with David Ream and he's apparently been really annoyingly unresponsive and standing people up for the last two years or so. The person who knows him is pissed off about it

From the beginning it has sounded like vapour ware - small studio whose only production is the technically mundane Joe Danger announce revolutionary technology a few weeks after their offices get flooded?

But they did manage to convince Sony, so what do I know.

surreal

You'll have people starting up YouTube channels of videos I reckon, just to show off what they've found that no-one else would get to see - I still think the best discoveries will be the ones where the planet is fucked up and doing something unexpected as they cannot possibly test for even a reasonable fraction of things.

Still getting it though.  Just for the fun of exploring - I don't need my entertainment to always have a point, but I understand that a lot of people feel lost if they don't have a specific goal, or don't get to blow other people up, or grief and spoil their games.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: surreal on May 27, 2016, 02:23:45 PM

Still getting it though.  Just for the fun of exploring - I don't need my entertainment to always have a point, but I understand that a lot of people feel lost if they don't have a specific goal, or don't get to blow other people up, or grief and spoil their games.

No, not at all. I quite agree, it's sometimes nice just to have a digital world to explore. Especially knowing you'll be the first to see that planet etc and can leave things behind for other players. Constructs and shit.

Big Jack McBastard

Will we see a cracked single player version?

Bhazor

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on May 27, 2016, 06:51:43 PM
Will we see a cracked single player version?

Well given there's a GOG version one would assume so.

Shay Chaise

It's not really multiplayer, there's virtually no chance you'll ever meet another person in game. You might visit a planet someone else has been to but very very unlikely to bump into anyone, unfortunately.

Penfold

12th August

I don't visit Reddit much but the sub for this game has been fun to read the past couple of days.

Someone rang 30 Gamestops to confirm there would be no delay.

Bhazor

The backlash to this game really confuses me. It's like people look at the game, invent a brand new game in their head, say that the game bears no relation to their imagined game and then write an angry blog post about it.

The most common thing seems to be saying "I'll probably be bored in a couple hours." Which is perfectly true but if you're not excited about a game where you spend an hour wandering around alien forests or paddling about in alien seas taking pictures of critters before getting into a spaceship and going to a new planet. Then maybe a game explicitly about wandering around alien forests or paddling about in alien seas taking pictures of critters before getting into a spaceship and going to a new planet isn't for you.

Bhazor

Quote from: Shay Chaise on May 27, 2016, 07:38:18 PM
It's not really multiplayer, there's virtually no chance you'll ever meet another person in game. You might visit a planet someone else has been to but very very unlikely to bump into anyone, unfortunately.

Well I'd say there will be guilds forming fairly quickly. I imagine the Eve system of communities (reddit, Something Awful, 4chan) banding together to create unofficial corporations will carry over. The nice feature of that being that given the scale theres no real way for corporations to take over and lock out solo players or newcomers like they can in Eve.

Thursday

Quote from: Bhazor on May 28, 2016, 08:32:49 AM
The backlash to this game really confuses me. It's like people look at the game, invent a brand new game in their head, say that the game bears no relation to their imagined game and then write an angry blog post about it.

The most common thing seems to be saying "I'll probably be bored in a couple hours." Which is perfectly true but if you're not excited about a game where you spend and hour wandering around alien forests or paddling about in alien seas taking pictures of critters before getting into a spaceship and going to a new planet. Then maybe a game explicitly about wandering around alien forests or paddling about in alien seas taking pictures of critters before getting into a spaceship and going to a new planet isn't for you.

Yeah it's a weird one, I think it's just been pushed too hard for too long. Leading to the situation where people are sick of it before it's released.

Hollow

It just sounds like a hippy Elite, I didn't like that, I doubt I'll like this.

But I'm willing to be wrong, I think like Doom I can get you all a good game by expecting the worst.

surreal