Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No Man's Sky

Started by Shay Chaise, May 26, 2016, 10:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

I really wanted to like it as just a Endless Ocean style game. But the bizarre choice to have only 10 species per planet, the lack of behaviour and the obvious recycling of body types from planet just killed it for me. There were still moments of wonder like finding a flock of giant eels flying in the sky or a particularly colourful patch of forest. But everything is so superficial and unreal. When I realised theres no rivers or any attempt to model real geography was when the sadness crept in. Fortunately they published on GOG so ha piracy.

If nothing else it's made me want to go back to Elite: Dangerous. Which has apparently improved immensely since release including the ability to now land on planets. Maybe I'll play it and then alt tab out to Abzu for twenty minutes when I reach a new planet. Which is all I ever wanted really.

In a years time maybe NMS critters will finally have the diversity and personality they sorely need. Maybe.

Thursday

I just dip into it now and then now, I still like it and get the feeling they may add things that improve it massively in the coming year, but they seem to have spoilt it with some bad design decisions. It does feel like they put some needless limiters on what the planets can do.

I think they wanted to avoid situations where you get broken mad glitchy planets of instant death, but I would have taken that, They should have made it so the game saves just as you enter a planet's atmosphere to avoid that situation. Instead they've made it so every planet is too safe. Matt Lee's videos sums it up perfectly I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioaB__ZKLlM

Shay Chaise

I also really enjoyed the first thirty hours or so, treating it as a slow paced exploration game, and there are generally more fertile and unusual planets if you free roam on the galactic map, and go for the blue, green or red systems, but nobody seems to realise or listen to that anywhere, but anyway...It ran out of steam for me when I maxed out my suit, tool and ship and completed the Atlas quest. There's nothing else to do, no reason for me to farm, nothing to buy, just repair my unnecessarily broken warp drives, etc. I heard what happens you reach the centre and thought nah fuck off, I'll wait for some proper update. If it never comes, I've had a good run with it, personally.

surreal

Pretty much the same here - dipping into it every so often.

I have a suspicion that a lot of the difficulty was probably taken out during play testing.  They made a couple of comments that it used to be that if you went from a space station down to the surface, waited a bit, and then flew back up the station would have gone as the planet had rotated - but they had to remove that as apparently it confused people.  Lord knows what else they took out because of having a bunch of idiots playing and expecting everything to be spoon fed to them.

Hopefully they will keep adding features, and I have good hopes for the PC mods to come to the rescue as usual.

Ham Bap

The more I play it the more I come to the realization that theres nothing to do.
Its good for pottering about on whilst listening to the radio and catching up on podcasts but you could sit on the sofa with your eyes closed and do that so it's better than being sat down with your eyes closed.

Ive spent the last 2 days mining gold on a desolate planet, shuffling between gold deposits and a trading post so I can upgrade my ship in order to have more space for further mining. It's akin to working a real job.
Its a walking/mining simulator. It would have been a much better game if they had maybe 20 planets full of stuff to do instead of having infinite planets with nothing.
Ive played probably around 30 hours doing the same stuff over and over again. I think I give up until I need to catch up on more podcasts next week.
I'll never pre-order another game ever again too.

Ham Bap

Sold it yesterday and bought booze with the money, had 3 craps this morning. The game literally turned into shit.

Quote from: Ham Bap on August 25, 2016, 03:55:25 PM

I'll never pre-order another game ever again too.

I think that's the crux of this...preorder culture and how prevalent it is, quite how they've got so many gamers to abandon simple rationality and discernment is a mystery to me...if the majority of those who got this day one had waited just one more day the sales numbers would have been dramatically lower.

People take umbrage with being labelled as sheep, but what other explanation can there be for such stupidity?

Stop preorders now...just stop doing it, wait for a review, it's the only way they'll make a product worth buying.

'I'll wait for a patch' do you hear yourselves? You hear it all over the internet...what do you expect to get with that attitude? Everyone who bought this vapid, shell of a game should ask for a refund en masse.

There that's my 2p.

And what's more I hope that the cretins that were issuing their pathetic death threats left, right and centre feel suitably ashamed of themselves now, I mean i know they don't cause they are fuckwits but this game obviously needed another six months spending on it, never mind two.

They invested so much in this being good...fed into the stupid hype to the degree where if this game wasn't the second coming of Elite then it would be seen as a failure.

And that's exactly what's happened.

Shay Chaise

Chill, bro. It's quite good but ultimately a bit insubstantial. Have you actually played it?

Quote from: Shay Chaise on August 28, 2016, 08:17:53 PM
Chill, bro. It's quite good but ultimately a bit insubstantial. Have you actually played it?

Jesus, shut up, I will not 'chill'...honestly.

'Have I actually played it'?

No, I won't spend full price on something that is all over Steam for a fraction of the price.

It's nothing not seen before...just a survival, resource gathering plodathon.

Just cause you got suckered and now you have to justify your idiocy.

I'll say what I like about what I like, don't like it? Tough shit...not my problem you don't want to hear it is it?

Honestly this forum, if you don't water your opinions down and be as 'reasonable' as possible people lose their stupid shit.

Back off 'bro'.

Twed

The real stupid people are the ones who purchased the game and tried it, not the heroes (and I truly mean heroes) who worked themselves up into a rage about it despite never playing it for a second.

You're the future, captaincockring. You are the fucking future.

So you have to experience something before you can critique it? But that would involve paying for it, then they win?

I have literally thousands and thousands of people saying the exact same things to draw on...why shouldn't I believe them?

Everyone should be furious about the lack of concern AAA game makers show to the quality of the products they make...they should be but they aren't.

I'm allowed to think what I want and say what I want and no amount of pathetic sarcastic remarks from twats like you twed will change that, you who seems to float across this forum dispensing condescension to everyone you see, you've made it onto my 'cunt list' quite rapidly...well done you.

Twed

Quote from: captaincockring on August 28, 2016, 08:41:57 PM
So you have to experience something before you can critique it?

Yes. Of course you do.
Quote from: captaincockring on August 28, 2016, 08:41:57 PMBut that would involve paying for it, then they win?
You can and should use other people's reviews to make an informed decision about whether to purchase it or not. Obviously. Everybody already knows this. Probably just best not to go on a bit of a tirade and passionate take-down of people who are actually qualified to talk about the game and are using this thread to do it in, on the basis of what you know which is nothing.

Penfold

I like it.

I played it a lot, then Deus Ex came out. I played that a lot, almost finished it.

I'm more likely to go back to No Man's Sky as I can relax and listen to some podcasts while getting annoyed I can't find the last of eleven species on a planet while getting chased by shitty crab bastards.

I didn't realise how much crap Sean Murray came out with leading up to the release as I mostly watched gameplay footage and thought it was something I would enjoy. The only surprise was the crafting as I don't play any survival craft games but I got used to it and it became less of an irritation when my suit was upgraded.

Looking forward to see what additions they make.

Seriously what does it hurt you to just let me say what I think? If you can't think of anything to say that doesn't involve fucking idiotic sarcasm then just leave me be...

I can't stand this fucking thought police behaviour...and I WONT stand for it.

Cunt.

Twed

Nobody's stopping you. "Of course you have to play something to critique" doesn't mean "of course you have to play something to critique it, so cease talking immediately". It means "of course you have to play something to critique it or you come across as a big fucking bell".

Shay Chaise

Quote from: captaincockring on August 28, 2016, 08:26:59 PM
Jesus, shut up, I will not 'chill'...honestly.

'Have I actually played it'?

No, I won't spend full price on something that is all over Steam for a fraction of the price.

It's nothing not seen before...just a survival, resource gathering plodathon.

Just cause you got suckered and now you have to justify your idiocy.

I'll say what I like about what I like, don't like it? Tough shit...not my problem you don't want to hear it is it?

Honestly this forum, if you don't water your opinions down and be as 'reasonable' as possible people lose their stupid shit.

Back off 'bro'.

Cap, you're getting a bit irate again I'm afraid. I have a lot of time for you so I'm not going to take it personally or snap back at you but yeah, know thine enemy, or whatever the expression is. As someone who likes you, I do hope you a-chill.

I enjoyed the game as a walking sim cum survival game for about forty hours, and put in another twenty for good measure. It's pretty shallow but the progression kept me interested til I forced it, maxed everything out and killed what was left. I'm happy to spend fifty quid on it because I don't have children so I'll fill my boots til then basically. I grew up with nothing, never got attached to nothing but people and places and I'm ready to die whenever it comes. I don't need to justify nuthin to nobody, least of all buying computer games.

You see the problem with this forum is it's supposed to be about comedy...so it attracts all these crushing bores who think they are funny but invariably aren't.

Everythings got to be imbued with this annoying 'look at me' attitude but married to an awful liberal wet lettuce mindset...everything is just 'fine' isn't it?

Fucking fuck off.

I heard you twed yesterday how something he said was 'boring' well you son are the most boring twat I've come across on this forum and you've only been here about two months...wind your stupid fat neck in.

Claude Balls is everyones new target isn't he? He's obviously reveling in it too...but fuck me he's about a thousand times more interesting than you, insignificant little pissant.

There...I've ruined this thread enough...back to pretending you like a mediocre borefest cause you spent sixty quid on it.

Since when was 'quite good' a compliment?

Barry Admin

Mate chill out, get off here for a bit, go and listen to some music and play a video game. You're being way too aggressive and taking your problems out on others, and it's not on.

Twed

Quote from: captaincockring on August 28, 2016, 09:22:04 PM
There...I've ruined this thread enough...back to pretending you like a mediocre borefest cause you spent sixty quid on it.
As I said, I'm done with it. As for spending $60 (not £) on it, for 30 hours on the reclining couch with my wife next to me and discussions with friends and family over it, totally worth it, even if I won't be coming back to it in five year's time.

Right I've apologised privately to Twed, same goes to everyone else...sorry for the outburst.

What I would like is if you disagree with me is just to not include sarcasm, maybe I'm just being naive to not expect it on a comedy forum, but I don't know...it's just what I think...you don't have to agree, in fact I'd be surprised if you did but disagree without the shit...now this time I agree my OP was provocative but this place is like a snake pit sometimes.

I'm having a tough old shit ride at the moment...probably best if I don't post for a while...sorry again.

I do in my strange and aggressive way love you all.

amnesiac

Read the last couple of pages. My feelings: Initially I loved it, I distinctly remember thinking 'this is the game I've been waiting for my whole life' which sounds incredible to my ears now. I found a way to print money; landing on a planet with these oyster things/ taking the pearls and selling them on a spacestation about 30s away, over and over until I was a millionaire Rodney! Got a new ship and then felt totally deflated.

It's inexplicable but I find the game 'depressing'. I get sad when I think about it. Something to do with the colours and uniformity which, for a randomly generated game, is perverse. Also the loneliness, I can get that at home!

It's horribly grind-y too, how many phrases can you learn by pressing buttons on a monolith without wanting to stamp on your PS4. My only concern while playing it was 'have I got enough cargo space', I think I was attacked by a creature once, I was so surprised that something actually happened that I let it kill me.

I felt really disappointed rather than angry, after all the hype and BBC News articles I really wanted it to grab me.

hewantstolurkatad

Why do people preorder games? I mean, it's not like a film where the cinema has limited capacity, and the developers can't restrict the game to preorders for a limited period of time (beyond a few hours anyway) because that'll just push everyone else to pirate it. Is it for some silly exclusive dlc type shit?

lazarou

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 06, 2016, 05:18:17 PM
Why do people preorder games? I mean, it's not like a film where the cinema has limited capacity, and the developers can't restrict the game to preorders for a limited period of time (beyond a few hours anyway) because that'll just push everyone else to pirate it. Is it for some silly exclusive dlc type shit?

Silly DLC is part of it, but even if that went away it'd still probably be prevalent.

It's just all part of the insane hype culture that forms around games. This happens with other media too, of course, but for games it feels like every semi-significant title is hyped to the skies up to a full year before it hits the shelves. It's just a constant drip-drip-drip of feverish previews and bullshots that many, many people buy into, because they want to believe it's going to be this amazing thing. Then you get the inevitable backlash when it doesn't turn out to be the second coming, which can quickly turn into outright denial as certain factions declare review sites corrupt for scoring lower (or higher, but usually lower) than their expectations, even when they themselves haven't played it yet. It's madness, but it's a madness the industry is all too happy to keep feeding folks as it keep the buzz going.

HappyTree

If there's enticing DLC, I suppose yes. Also people probably want to be right on a cultural event when there's a buzz about it. I never pre-order anything and yeah by the time I get this game, if I ever do, everyone will have forgotten about it. In a couple of years during a Steam sale: "Hey guys! What about that NMS, eh? Guys?"

hewantstolurkatad

Good points, it's kind of like gambling really where part of the reason for putting the money down is that you're using money to become emotionally involved in some event. Same reason so many people go to big stadium gigs even though they're almost university shite.

I'd love for it to be that easy to become engaged in something!

Thursday

The thing is there's some games I'm going to buy anyway, I was pretty confident for instance that XCOM 2 wouldn't turn out to be total dogshit, and even if it did I'd want to see it for myself. So the day before release I "Pre-ordered" it so I'd get some bonus thing and could start pre-loading it. It's technically pre-ordering it, but I didn't really consider it that.

Another factor is smaller retailers competing with each other for the lowest price, especially with CD Key type sites running offer codes for brief periods. In those cases it's about getting the best deal (for the first few weeks the game is out at least.)

Shay Chaise

You've also got people who don't really give a shit about taking a gamble, who enjoyed it for fifty hours and then had enough. Uncharted 4 took me a quarter of that time, and arguably left me with fewer lasting memories despite being a better game in almost every way.

MojoJojo

Quote from: lazarou on September 06, 2016, 05:35:56 PM
It's just all part of the insane hype culture that forms around games. This happens with other media too, of course, but for games it feels like every semi-significant title is hyped to the skies up to a full year before it hits the shelves.

The games industry is far more invested in the hype/preorder business than other media because of the whole second-hand market thing. For triple A games sold as a physical product, the publishers/developers basically don't get any money after the first 2 weeks, because anyone who isn't mental just buys second hand after that. There's a huge focus put on opening weekends with films, but they typically have other markets and a year of DVD sales. With the big games they really have to hype things up to point that people preorder, because if they don't convince people they can't wait a week or so to buy it cheaper they don't get any money at all.

My impression is it is changing now with digital downloads and sales taking over from the second hand market, but that might just be my own impression, with me still on a last generation console and PC.

(I'm not complaining about secondhand sales - just pointing out the massively distorting effect it had on games compared to other media)