Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:03:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

No Man's Sky

Started by Shay Chaise, May 26, 2016, 10:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Fucking "gamers"

Still he's perfectly safe, nobody is going to want to make the trip down to Guildford.

Penfold

Tempted to start a new thread because it looks like it's actually coming out as it's gone gold.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/751141699880095745

I liked this from Videogamer.

https://youtu.be/4zvwaKJjoXQ

Pdine

Quote from: Pdine on July 27, 2015, 10:55:19 AM
QuoteYou are on a red planet with grasslands and a yellow sky with three-legged creatures that look like giraffes crossed with hippos.
What now?
>_

biggytitbo

Lords of Midnight was only 48k

Pdine

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 11, 2016, 08:09:24 PM

...and shit. We just didn't know how shit back then. It was dull and repetitive but the alternative was watching Bob's Full House.

biggytitbo

Well I loved Bob's Full House.

lazarou

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 11, 2016, 08:09:24 PM

Pff at your 48k. Mike "Mike Singleton" Singleton made LoM in 41k with change left over.

kittens

what does it mean to have 'gone gold'

Penfold

It's going into production.

Now the work on the day one patch can begin!

brat-sampson

Gold comes at the end when you're out of Beta. It means they've stopped doing any work on it and the discs are ready to be printed. Basically the release version is locked down and good to go.

EDIT:
Quote from: Penfold on July 11, 2016, 11:27:11 PM
Now the work on the day one patch can begin!

Well true, there's that.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: kittens on July 11, 2016, 11:18:38 PM
It means you never go back.

Shay Chaise

They have actually started work on the first update, and reported as much yesterday. I'm not concerned about that, it's expected these days, but yeah, dunno if it means Day One patch or if the game will receive regular content updates.

wooders1978

I've decided i am not getting this - at least until its been out a while and i'll know for pretty certain  if its shit or not i.e this thread being on page 90 for example

falafel

It means you have been murdered by SPECTRE

falafel

Wait, wrong fictional organisation. Oh well. Goldfinger doesn't work though, the repetition of gold spoils an already shit joke.

QDRPHNC

It's means that someone very, very important broke one of the most sacred covenants in British retailing.

Shay Chaise

A guy on reddit is receiving this in the next few hours and will be streaming on Dailymotion so expect some actual unscripted gameplay by beddie boes. I expect that this will have quite bad graphics and gunplay but I'll love it with headphones just flying around. Already windmilling my cock at 40RPM and will hopefully reach 55RPM by midnight.

Noonling

Unfortunately I would need a PC that isn't made out of dead men's fingernails to play this, but maybe I could steal my housemate's laptop and get it to run at 3 frames per second?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the universal disappointment. In fact, I'll only be disappointed if its good.

Shay Chaise

First gameplay video is being uploaded but they'll be appearing here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/daymeeuhn

Shay Chaise

Well, after uploading a couple of short vids, which were taken down, and seeing the response from Sean Murray (basically saying don't spoil the surprises for yourselves), the guy has decided not to continue uploading, which is fair enough. I actually agree, if the guy behind it is saying please don't do this. What's more surprising is that this uploader actually paid 1300 dollars to someone on eBay who essentially must have stolen the early copy. That he's revealed this, and shown his PSN profile, and shared all this info is really surprising. It's also surprising that Dailymotion, who don't seem to give two hoots about any copyright infringement or any content, have taken this down, surely due to Sony pressure. The whole thing is pretty mad. I only watched a few minutes, and it didn't look any different to all the preview footage, so it was a great use of time.

mobias

Never underestimate the amount of people, specifically young men, for whom spending some improbable large amount of money on a game to play it a week or two early is no big deal. I remember the release of GTAV being insane for this sort of nonsense. All so they can do early live streams and get some attention.

Anyway I watched a bit of the live stream last night. My jury is still well and truly out over this. It certainly won't be a day one purchase. Its clearly the sort of game thats going to be patched to buggery in its first couple of months.

It still looks interesting though. 

Thursday

Still reckon it'll be really good, but there'll be a huge backlash because people are expecting something from it that it never said it would deliver.

Shay Chaise

You're right, I shouldn't be too surprised but that is a lot of money to me, it's pretty crazy. I was just watching something about a little family restaurant in the Chinese countryside and the whole family makes about four grand a year. What might they think about this? That said, on a much lesser scale I did buy the Japanese version of Dark Souls 3 for about 60 quid because it was out three weeks early, and obviously I bought the EU version on release day, too. For me, definitely worth it, although for all the excitement and lack of spoilers, I also felt I missed out on the sense of camaraderie of playing on 'day one' with people on here and elsewhere. There was a subreddit for early adopters which was great but, not the same. Anyway, going a bit off topic here.

I was wavering on NMS, even though I knew I'd be preordering, but it looks really good. Seems like a lot of crafting and maintenance and stuff, which hopefully isn't 90% of the game but I do understand a bit more of what the gameplay loop will be. Part of me wishes that lad had managed to repair his ship and take off but on the other hand, that's the thing I've been most looking forward to since I first saw the initial reveal however many years ago and it'll be great to finally experience that for myself.

Thursday

I've got quite a big backlog of stuff at the moment that I think I'm willing to wait for a drop in price anyway, although I'll probably relent if it does look like it's something really special.

surreal

Agreed that the price was nuts, but I watched the 26 minutes of un-prompted gameplay and I'm in for this.  Looks like the kind of thing I enjoy doing with open-world stuff, just having to explore every corner of everywhere you find.  His first encounters with the animal life are entertaining, especially "Trevor the Pineapple" in the cave which is hilarious.  It will lend itself very much to people who enjoy making their own stories in games, which I personally do.

I also realised how incredibly frustrating it is watching someone play something and missing the obvious prompts coming up on screen and going the long way about doing something.  Just excitement on his part I expect.

Also agree about the patch comments above though.  Day one (technically 4, as I'm on PC) buy for me.

neardark

Just can't see it being anything but boring as fuck. Like when you're just driving around aimlessly on GTA because you have nothing better to do.

biggytitbo

Can you explore Leeds in it? I would be up for that.

Thursday

I don't think Earth is in it, let alone Leeds.

mobias

Sounds like the game is buggy as hell, not surprising really but there's a huge day one patch, and there's not a lot of variety in the planets with everything looking pretty much the same wherever you go. There's also apparently a few curious game design choices. I'm definitely holding off getting this. Its pretty clear the launch game can be viewed as a sort of beta test that they'll change and improve a lot, technically and otherwise.