Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:25:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

No Man's Sky

Started by Shay Chaise, May 26, 2016, 10:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

I've played a bit more, I'm still finding mileage in the exploration aspect of the game, some of the landscapes it throws up can be stunning. However the resource management and crafting side can be incredibly dull. So mixed feelings overall, I can't compare it to the original release because I didn't play it, but as it stands today it feels frustratingly like a missed goal to me. Worth a tenner though to hop about different planets seeing what the game throws up.

Ham Bap

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on August 17, 2017, 04:00:42 PM
I've played a bit more, I'm still finding mileage in the exploration aspect of the game, some of the landscapes it throws up can be stunning. However the resource management and crafting side can be incredibly dull. So mixed feelings overall, I can't compare it to the original release because I didn't play it, but as it stands today it feels frustratingly like a missed goal to me. Worth a tenner though to hop about different planets seeing what the game throws up.

Yeah thats my feelings too. Im enjoying that theres a bit of a story in there now and you can also build your own base. But there probably will get to a point again where i say to myself 'whats the point of this'. Whats the point of collecting all this stuff and having a base when theres really not much to do when you have it all built..But im enjoying just flying around a bit at the minute and turning my mind off. If they keep adding content then great, id even be prepared to pay for some if they keep adding more and more to it.

The original was awful though. Would crash often and there was far less to do.

BeardFaceMan

Anyone still playing this? About 10 hours in and after starting to get into it I'm getting fed up with it, mainly because of space. The planet exploration stuff was fun but space is doing my fucking head in, too much of the bloody stuff. The planets are way too far apart, unless youre doing the hyper drive it takes ages to get between planets. And even if you use the hyper drive you still have to sit there for minutes waiting for it to arrive, way too much time just sat screen watching. And thats if some ships dont warp in and attack you. Seriously,  what am I doing wrong? Ship warps in, I kill them so I can fuck off sharpish but I cant engage the drives because more ships are getting ready to warp in. And they cant be outrun and they even follow you into the planets atmosphere when you finally get to one. Fuuuck, it was taking a while to click and just when it does I involuntarily enter a 20 minute battle/escape attempt that only ended because I got pissed off and turned the fucking thing off.

You're doing nothing wrong and if you don't like that then zoomed in sense or scale, never waste your money on Elite Dangerous.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I purposely stayed away from that. Reading about the scope and the size and the amount of planets etc all sounds great on paper. But then you play it and realise there are massive chunks of fuck all in between the good bits. Just feels like artificially extending things,  thers no need for stuff to ne this far apart. I thougbt id try this game because it seemed like there was a lot to do, and there is, its just the travelling inbetween is a bit of a nightmare.

Seems you have even less of an attention span than me. I quite enjoy the short twenty or thirty second bounces between planets. I also do understand that you get the odd two minute journey. Fuck it off, build some warp cells and zip elsewhere.

Fishfinger

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 14, 2018, 06:54:16 PM
And thats if some ships dont warp in and attack you. Seriously,  what am I doing wrong?

Random pirate attacks are avoidable. Firstly, fly in first person view so that you can see your ship's instruments. Secondly, keep an eye out for a white warning circle appearing around one of your cockpit displays that starts to slowly erase itself: it's a countdown and, when it's gone, you'll get a hostile scan. You then have a short window to land at a space station or your freighter (sounds like you might not have that yet) or enter a planet's atmosphere. Any of these will cause the scan to fail, so no pirates.

Note that using these tactics before the hostile scan has occurred only pauses the circular countdown, but doesn't cancel it. So next time you're in open space it'll continue to wind down.

Once you know how this works you can plan ahead and ensure you're in a position to cancel attacks before they happen. You should then have plenty of time to go where you wanted before the next one occurs, with the caveat that some shitty systems will always have attacks more frequently than others.

Finally, you can also bribe pirates to go away, if you wish, using the in-ship communicator. I've never felt the need to do that so I'm not sure how affordable it is, particularly at the beginning.

Fishfinger

Just to add that you can shorten flight time by obtaining upgrades for your pulse engine. These tend to increase your fuel efficiency, speed and/or maneuverability, and overall reduce the need to stop and refuel or deal with pirates.

If you're having problems with sentinels in space rather than pirates, it's a bit different - make sure you lose the hostility 'stars' on the planet's surface and they won't spawn in space to attack you, which they do unrelentingly.

Penfold

Just a comment to get rid of the NEW post thing.

I should check the file size of this game now because it took up about 6gb when I first got it but each update adds a couple of gigs.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Fishfinger on September 14, 2018, 10:02:18 PM
If you're having problems with sentinels in space rather than pirates, it's a bit different - make sure you lose the hostility 'stars' on the planet's surface and they won't spawn in space to attack you, which they do unrelentingly.

I think that may have been my problem, twatting about killing sentinels on a planet for a bounty then getting twatted back when I got into space. I got some sort of thing that allows me to warp to red systems, whatever they are, so I fucked off and found a paradise planet and started making a base. I'm sticking to planets from now on, I'm finding it much easier to build teleporters and travel between bases and space stations doing that and only flying when I have to.

BeardFaceMan

Started to get into this a bit more now, I don't bother with space much other to go to my frigate to send out my ships on missions (which so far have failed about 90% of the time). I've just concentrated on building a base and gathering resources. Has to be expected with a game of this size but it's buggy as fuck, little glitches where I have to quit out of the game and reload it (which wouldnt be so bad if you could save when you like, but you cant), open doorways i can't walk through, missions that can't be completed, it's a fucking good job there's so much to do. Any tips for making money?

BeardFaceMan

60 hours into this fucker now and I cant put it down. I just went through a black hole, which was nice. Could still do without 60 seconds of travel every time I want to change planets,  it just feels like a loading screen.  I probably need a new, faster ship. You dont half go through the resoucres building your base too, I havent even built the shell of my gaff yet and I'm running out of shit. Throw on some tunes or a podcast and I can lose hours to this.