Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,315
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:01:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Parody laws

Started by Beagle 2, May 29, 2016, 12:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Alright mates. I've got an idea for an hilarious video that involves cutting up loads of Carry On films and old sitcoms like Rising Damp. But, will it get pulled from YouTube straight away (like my an hilarious video of Phillip Schofield did) or do these new parody laws I've heard about cover me?

Uncle TechTip

Music is the big thing they go for so make sure there are no identifiable songs and you won't trigger any automatic mechanism. Then you'll probably only suffer if your video becomes popular.

Brundle-Fly

If you're using original material without permission then it is breaking copyright. If you'd filmed all your mates dressed up as the Carry On team and aped the style of the films, then edited it and stuck it on YT,  you'd probably be covered but that's not going to happen.

Make it, put it out there and hope that instead of the Rank organisation coming after you (which they probably won't) they'll ask you to put together a trailer for the inevitable reissuing of the series in conjunction with the new film.

Van Dammage

When did you upload the Schofield one? Whenever I get done for copyright nowadays they just take the ad revenue and let me keep the video up.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 29, 2016, 12:20:08 PM
Alright mates. I've got an idea for an hilarious video that involves cutting up loads of Carry On films and old sitcoms like Rising Damp. But, will it get pulled from YouTube straight away (like my an hilarious video of Phillip Schofield did) or do these new parody laws I've heard about cover me?

It seems to vary, my piss poor Dexter / 3rd Rock From The Sun mashup thing has been up for about five years now, whereas a different one a friend did lasted about a week. It may well depend on who owns / distributes the material as well, and their views on such things - I uploaded a load of Keep It In The Family clips for my Uncle which were up for about two years until Network released the series on dvd and all disappeared within a day.

Mister Six

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 29, 2016, 02:11:44 PM
If you're using original material without permission then it is breaking copyright.

Not if the resulting video is different enough from the original to count as a transformative work, which from the sounds of it this would be. As someone said, the big problem is audio, as YouTube's fucking automatic filter will bum you in the gob if it detects copyrighted music that goes on for too long.