Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:56:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GOG Connect

Started by QRDL, June 03, 2016, 02:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QRDL

You can now connect your accounts to add games you own on Steam to your GOG library. It's entirely up to the developer or publisher whether they want to take part and offers for particular games are available only for limited time. Of the currect crop, the biggest title probably is The Witness.

Here you go:
https://www.gog.com/connect

So preumably you get the GOG versions?

That's excellent, as Steam was fine releasing games that don't work on modern systems and charging for it, whereas GOG has a great reputation of actually making the games work before putting them on sale.

Seems a bit of an odd move for both companies though. Steam helps out another distributor, GOG doesn't get any actual money.

Maybe Steam have realised they can't handle the retro game market.

Yes.

EDIT: It seems like it's permanent ie. once you select a game to "connect" you can't play it on Steam anymore? What's the point of this from Steam's end? I really don't understand.

lazarou

It's just granting you a GOG copy, your Steam games are not going to go anywhere.

Steam isn't helping out anyone with this really, far as I know GOG are just using the Steam API to determine which games you already own. The decision to grant you that extra GOG copy is between GOG themselves and the relevant publisher/rights holder.

biggytitbo

Quote from: The Region Legion on June 07, 2016, 02:01:21 AM
So preumably you get the GOG versions?

That's excellent, as Steam was fine releasing games that don't work on modern systems and charging for it, whereas GOG has a great reputation of actually making the games work before putting them on sale.

GTA Vice City, I'm looking at you.