Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Hair Experiment - how to spend less on shampoo

Started by Cerys, June 05, 2016, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

For years I've been aware of a claim that lack of hair-washing will lead to one's barnet being in a better condition.  Apparently it goes through a stage of disgusting greasiness and comes out the other side soft, shiny, silky and dandruff-free.  I've always wanted to see if it's true, but never had the guts to try it - until now.  I haven't washed my waist-length hair in about seven weeks, but although it's definitely been pretty greasy I haven't hit the disgusting stage yet.  I don't want to wash it before the experiment yields some definite results, but I feel as if I'm in follicular limbo.

Has anyone else tried this?

biggytitbo

Entropy Balsmalch

Oops! Wrong Planet

I once didn't wash my hair for a week and my wife complained that I stank of sebum.  Should have given her a quick chorus of If I Ruled The World and blown a raspberry, but I just apologised and started washing it again.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shampoo doesn't cost very much, so it's almost like "how do I spend less on salt".

When you weigh up your outgoings shampoo is not a big one singularly or proportionally.

That KID on the other hand...

NoSleep

The idea is not to stop washing it, but stop using shampoo, shower gel or anything of the soapy kind when you do wash it (with water).

As shampoos, etc strip the hair of natural oils, the body increases their production, so you need to shampoo more frequently as a result of, you know, using shampoo.

You could try shampooing less frequently (but continue to wash your with water between these occasions) to avoid the build up of over-produced natural oils. Or try using something like Johnson's Baby Shampoo that might be a little milder.

Cerys

My plan is to just use water once everything has stabilised.

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on June 05, 2016, 01:19:51 PM
I once didn't wash my hair for a week and my wife complained that I stank of sebum.  Should have given her a quick chorus of If I Ruled The World and blown a raspberry, but I just apologised and started washing it again.

SNG is anosmic, so I don't have a problem with his delicate little schnozzle.  This is a good thing.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Cerys

NoSleep

Quote from: Cerys on June 05, 2016, 01:08:47 PM
For years I've been aware of a claim that lack of hair-washing will lead to one's barnet being in a better condition.  Apparently it goes through a stage of disgusting greasiness and comes out the other side soft, shiny, silky and dandruff-free.  I've always wanted to see if it's true, but never had the guts to try it - until now.  I haven't washed my waist-length hair in about seven weeks, but although it's definitely been pretty greasy I haven't hit the disgusting stage yet.  I don't want to wash it before the experiment yields some definite results, but I feel as if I'm in follicular limbo.

There's probably a build up, not only of natural oils, but also they're congealing with dead skin which would have otherwise shed by now.

Cerys

I'm not so sure about that - I've been brushing it pretty religiously and my scalp is comparatively happy right now.

NoSleep

That's what I thought until I washed mine for the first time. Hopefully you were more diligent with the brushing than I was, but I had short hair at the time and the state of my scalp after a wash with water was enough to make me submit and use some shampoo immediately. It was surprisingly disgusting.

Cerys

Urg.  It's at times like this I wish we had a bath.  Or some clay.  Or both.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Cerys on June 05, 2016, 01:47:52 PM

Just buy a cheap paddling pool and roll around in it in the garden. That or cover your hair in peanut butter and get a dog to lick it all off.

BOBBY FLOWERS

There's a magical spot between 0 days unwashed and 7 days unwashed where hair looks luxurious. Before this spot it's dry and frizzy after this spot it's too shiny and no longer bouncy and you're picking scabs off your scalp.

Cerys

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 05, 2016, 01:58:53 PM
Just buy a cheap paddling pool and roll around in it in the garden.

We don't have a garden, either.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Cerys on June 05, 2016, 02:25:33 PM
We don't have a garden, either.

Put the paddling pool in the front room then. Or on the bed, I dunno, use your imagination woman!

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: Cerys on June 05, 2016, 01:47:52 PM

Enough clay and enough time, you have a bath.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

It took me a long time to realise this, but I think I use the least shampoo of anyone I know (except the bald ones). Washing my hair three times a week, I take about one year to use a single average-sized bottle.

olliebean

I've tried going without shampoo a couple of times, and after a couple of weeks my scalp started going scabby and horrible, and unbearably itchy, so I had to give up. Have since discovered that's what happens when you leave seborrhoeic dermatitis untreated.

I only wash it a couple of times a week, though, which seems to be the least I can get away with before the itching starts to be a problem.

popcorn

SPEAKING OF GROSS HAIR

Just this week I've noticed I seem to have developed dandruff for the first time in my life (to my knowledge). I scratch my head and it snows. Brilliant.

What are you supposed to do about this? Just get some anti-dandruff shampoo? Does it actually work?

Cerys

im barry bethel

Quote from: popcorn on June 05, 2016, 04:31:07 PM
SPEAKING OF GROSS HAIR

Just this week I've noticed I seem to have developed dandruff for the first time in my life (to my knowledge). I scratch my head and it snows. Brilliant.

What are you supposed to do about this? Just get some anti-dandruff shampoo? Does it actually work?
Two egg yolks mixed with an alka seltzer and half a teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Entropy Balsmalch

My cat sometimes sits on the back of the sofa and has a go at cleaning my hair.

Sometimes she'll do it to visitors too. Beards if she can get them.

But you can't have my cat.

Birdie

I can understand that it must be a pain to wash your hair frequently if it's waist length so you've got my sympathy there.  But I'm an every day shampooer except when I've just had it coloured.  Do you cut your own hair BTW?

The no shampooing thing isn't as gross as an article I read about women when choose to shower only once a week.  I might have been less grossed out of they were doing it for environmental reasons but in most cases it was because 'I just don't have time'.

This post was brought to you you Judgey McJudgeface.

(Oh and kudos for starting a thread about shampooing on a forum full of bald men!)

hewantstolurkatad

I pretty much never use shampoo. It's grand, if I use shampoo and go over a day without washing my hair, I have an incredibly oily blob of hair on my head. Without it isn't as amazingly not-oily for the first twelve hours, but it takes at least two days before it's horrible.

Fortunately I'm going bald though, so I won't have to worry about washing my hair at all soon enough.

Noodle Lizard

I tried it for a while recently, partly because I seem to have a proper fussy scalp when it comes to shampoos and stuff.  It's certainly manageable, but it really doesn't feel very nice to me (I have shoulder-length hair, I imagine I'd care less if it was shorter).  It just felt brittle and dry and 'orrible, really, and looked just like you'd expect.  I'm sure it works for some people, and I do feel that hair products are generally a bit of a scam, but I just went back to Johnson's Baby Shampoo and a Dove conditioner.  That does me fine.

Alberon

Shave it! Join the rest of us baldies.

Cerys

Did that.  I'm considering doing it again when SNG finally does his.

Quote from: Birdie on June 05, 2016, 10:40:14 PMDo you cut your own hair BTW?

Yup.  It's pretty easy given its length - I just tie it into a bunch an inch or so from the ends and have at it with my sewing scissors.

QuoteThe no shampooing thing isn't as gross as an article I read about women when choose to shower only once a week.

How about twice a week?