Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Hair Experiment - how to spend less on shampoo

Started by Cerys, June 05, 2016, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFalconMalteser

Shave your head like my hero Jason Statham and save loads of money.

Cerys

Quote from: Cerys on June 06, 2016, 10:09:22 AM
Did that.  I'm considering doing it again when SNG finally does his.

Do pay attention.

Icehaven

A girl in my halls at Uni had dreadlocks and didn't wash them at all. She tried to avoid ever even getting them wet because they were so thick and long they'd take about 3 days to dry and be incredibly heavy for the first day and a half. Oh my God did her hair stink. I tried to avoid walking down the corridor behind her because it literally made me gag. There were plenty of other people around with dreads too and none of them smelt as bad so I don't know what she was doing wrong. Apart from not washing her hair obviously.

Dex Sawash

In my 30s I tried to dread up as a last ditch attempt at a hairstyle before going bald. Didn't make a huge stench but the project was a failure due to having hair like a blonde Ralph Wiggum

Cerys

Dreads are something I don't think I could ever do.  I'm an unrepentant hair-fiddler, and the inability to run my fingers through it would drive me nuts.

All Surrogate

Cerys

Cerys

Beagle 2

Quote from: biniput on June 06, 2016, 06:29:47 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11021507/I-havent-used-shampoo-in-2-years-and-my-hair-has-never-looked-better.-Welcome-to-the-UKs-no-poo-movement.html

Wow that's amazing! After all that time without shampoo it looks really lank and greasy! You'd think it would look... Wait...

Never had any sort of problem with a) having to shampoo my hair or b) my hair being clean and having no NATURAL OIL.

Janie Jones

Think of all the particulate pollution, cooking smells, general ambient whiffiness you encounter all day, why would you want to keep that in your hair?

It is my belief, based on lived experience, that your long hair will smell if you stop washing it, Cerys. I'm not being judgy or saying it wil smell bad but it will smell distinctive, in a society where most people use shampoo, and altho you and your beloved may not notice it, other people will. Knowing you as I do (i.e. through CaB) I imagine you couldn't care less about other people  so I doff my hat to you for that, releasing a sickening stench of synthetic watermelon shampoo fragrance as I do so.

mothman

I haven't washed my hair with shampoo for about two and a half years now. I was using shampoo only about once every five days anyway so just went for it.

It helps I have short hair anyway. But it's not greasy or smelly. The trick to getting through the initial weeks? Wash in hot water then with cold. For me, that meant taking a large cup of cold water into the shower in the morning, rinsing my hair under hot water for a solid 30 seconds then rinsing with the cold.

Cerys

Ooh, cheers for that.

Quote from: Janie Jones on June 06, 2016, 08:43:02 PM
Think of all the particulate pollution, cooking smells, general ambient whiffiness you encounter all day, why would you want to keep that in your hair?

It is my belief, based on lived experience, that your long hair will smell if you stop washing it, Cerys. I'm not being judgy or saying it wil smell bad but it will smell distinctive, in a society where most people use shampoo, and altho you and your beloved may not notice it, other people will. Knowing you as I do (i.e. through CaB) I imagine you couldn't care less about other people  so I doff my hat to you for that, releasing a sickening stench of synthetic watermelon shampoo fragrance as I do so.

I do love you, Janie.  I haven't stopped washing my hair completely - I'm experimenting with cutting out shampoo.  I'm pretty certain it won't be a permanent thing anyway, as having a nine-year-old leaves us prone to marauding headlice and there's no way I'm slathering chemical warfare all over my head and not washing it out properly.

Entropy Balsmalch

Is it true if you don't pay your council tax for three months it starts paying itself?

Big Jack McBastard

I kind of have to wash mine every day after being in the pool or I feel manky what with all the snot, piss and crust in there.

In the past I think I've probably gone about a week without doing it but it just became unbearable with the itch, the relief of finally banishing that sensation was grand. Makes you think about how shit it must have been before anyone had invented stuff to clean hair, it's no wonder they did all them wars.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on June 07, 2016, 12:10:29 AMMakes you think about how shit it must have been before anyone had invented stuff to clean hair, it's no wonder they did all them wars.

I think the argument is that our hair only complains when it doesn't get shampooed/conditioned is because it's become used to it that the scalp's self-regulating processes are put on hold.  I'm pretty sure there's some scientific basis for that - and if you think about it no other animals require hair products to keep a fairly fresh look, as far as I know.  I think the same applies to people who use medicated cleansers or moisturizers, you basically become dependent on them once you start because they disrupt your body's natural ability to do all this shit.  Maybe it works similarly to how sterilizing your environment too much can lead to autoimmune disorders.  I dunno.

Either way, I'm locked in to shampooing/conditioning now and I'm not about to go through six months of discomfort to reset it.  Shampoo's not that expensive.

Big Jack McBastard

I suppose if they never had it then they'd have been none the wiser, perhaps this is one for the 'The first person to' thread.

I can't help but think of something getting in there and laying eggs and then any notion of ever thinking about something like this goes out the window.

Cerys

I've just washed my hair using 15g of sodium bicarbonate dissolved in a pint and a half of water.  I'll report back when it's dry.  If it does dry.

NoSleep

Is sodium bicarbonate soluble? I thought the point was to use it with something acidic (vinegar) with which it would react (or maybe it is just there to control the acidic effect, with the vinegar being the important ingredient). That's about as far as my chemistry knowledge goes.

Cerys

It dissolves in water with no problem.  If you mix it with vinegar I seem to remember that it goes all foamy.  Maybe I'll try that next if this doesn't work.

Cerys

Are you suggesting that I have a gammy scalp...?

mook

Quote from: Cerys on June 09, 2016, 01:36:43 PM
It dissolves in water with no problem.  If you mix it with vinegar I seem to remember that it goes all foamy.  Maybe I'll try that next if this doesn't work.

if you put vinegar on your head won't you be craving chips all day?

Cerys

I'm supposed to be putting on weight, remember.

NattyDread

Quote from: Cerys on June 09, 2016, 01:56:27 PM
Are you suggesting that I have a gammy scalp...?
Perish the thought. I've been known to however and it worked a treat. Left my locks looking lustrous an' all.

Cerys

NoSleep

Quote from: Cerys on June 09, 2016, 01:36:43 PM

The reason I asked was that even a teaspoon of it will leave a powdery residue in a glass of water after a good stir. It just isn't as soluble as salt or sugar I suppose.

Cerys

That would only be a problem if I didn't rinse it out well enough, I reckon.  It's all a learning experience anyway.  A very greasy learning experience.  Lovely.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: NoSleep on June 09, 2016, 02:52:18 PM
The reason I asked was that even a teaspoon of it will leave a powdery residue in a glass of water after a good stir. It just isn't as soluble as salt or sugar I suppose.

that scum is hydrogen that precipitates out of solution hair is mostly hydrogen anyway