Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:44:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Europa Universalis 4

Started by falafel, June 05, 2016, 03:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falafel

Hallo.

Does anyone play this game? I know it's popular and Crusader Kings 2 was a bit of a thing but I haven't really seen anything about EU4.

So I just got out of the Dark Souls grip and thought I'd have a change of pace, switching to a nice strategy game where I don't have to worry about constantly dying. Except I can't figure out how to do anything. I mean, anything. The tutorials sort of explain the basics but then you start a game and.... why am I here? What am I trying to do again? Oops, I just ceded Ceuta. Is that bad? Right now I literally don't know where to click. Nothing is really happening. At least in Dark Souls you die; here you just sort of sit there while all the other countries seem to go about their business.  Que?

IF you play this: how long did it take you to get it, is it worth it, and what's the best way to learn?

Big Jack McBastard

I've tried twice and couldn't hack it, on the surface it looks like something I'd play the arse off but then it gets going and it dawned on me how deep you have to go in order to feel like you're doing anything of importance that won't just be utterly obliterated off the map if the AI doesn't like it and at that point I found myself going: 'Pff-aaah fuck this, I have a life to live'.

The killer was it didn't feel satisfying to play, you feel like you're just slightly modifying a tapestry, any serious war efforts I made were muller'd in short order by ruthlessly efficient foes.

I imagine there''ll be some Youtube bores who do vids on it but I no longer have the arse for games like this and CK2.

falafel

Sacked it off, instslled Rocket League instead. Life's too short.

Viero_Berlotti

Yeah, I love the idea of Grand Strategy games like this, but really they can be as time consuming as a full time job. Civilisation is about as deep as it gets for me, and even then I rarely complete a full campaign.