Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:46:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Conspiracy Films

Started by Van Dammage, June 14, 2016, 07:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on June 17, 2016, 02:47:05 PM
Hidden Agenda is just about OK. Parallax View I never really liked, it becomes cartoonish and plodding after its excellent opening.

I watched this last night, it seemed like a film where they had thought of the ending, then bolted together some scenes leading up to it.

Van Dammage

Arlington Road is well grim.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 17, 2016, 08:46:30 PM
I watched this last night, it seemed like a film where they had thought of the ending, then bolted together some scenes leading up to it.

Yeah, never really gels does it? The ending is delightfully bleak, a reflection of the extremely paranoid vibe at the time in the US. Can't see an ending like that slipping past the studio today.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on June 18, 2016, 10:46:53 AM
Yeah, never really gels does it? The ending is delightfully bleak, a reflection of the extremely paranoid vibe at the time in the US. Can't see an ending like that slipping past the studio today.

The ending is great, but how he got there is extremely flimsy. The ending seems to be entirely based on him following a guy who looks a bit shifty to the designated place. and how he got to that point is by finding some
Spoiler alert
random Parallax Corporation test in the drawer of a hick sherrif
[close]

phantom_power

Quote from: Van Dammage on June 15, 2016, 10:23:44 PM
I heard southland tales was shite. Is it actually good?
It is amazingly shit. As in both shit and amazing. I have a real soft spot for it despite its many flaws

BlodwynPig

Thanks to Van Dammage. Just watched The Conspiracy and whilst it was Kill List-lite, I did like it a lot. Like all great conspiracies it obfuscates more than it reveals.

BlodwynPig

It was like watching a summary of all Biggy's posts on here.

Pepotamo1985

Costa Gavras' output has some corkers - Z obviously, but Missing too. The latter is an all time fave of mine, actually.

Van Dammage

Watched the Conversation last night and that hotel scene so distinctly 70's. I can't really put my finger on it but it just has that style. Bit confused though .
Spoiler alert
Was a lot of the later stage of the film in his head? The hotel scene in particular and then the phone call from Harrison ford along with the mystery bug in his apartment. I thought the paranoia and guilt may have contributed to him going a bit mad.
[close]

Van Dammage

ohhhhhhhhhhhh "I as in Icarus" is the absolute bollocks as far as I'm concerned and if you liked the conversation I'd say its well worth a look. 

Glebe

Quote from: Van Dammage on June 18, 2016, 01:58:47 PMWatched the Conversation last night and that hotel scene so distinctly 70's. I can't really put my finger on it but it just has that style. Bit confused though .
Spoiler alert
Was a lot of the later stage of the film in his head? The hotel scene in particular and then the phone call from Harrison ford along with the mystery bug in his apartment. I thought the paranoia and guilt may have contributed to him going a bit mad.
[close]

Only saw it once, must give it another watch. It's certainly a bit befuddling.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Glebe on June 19, 2016, 03:52:00 AM
Only saw it once, must give it another watch. It's certainly a bit befuddling.

Has that 70's paranoia feeling.

Has anyone seen Utopia? I assume a few have because it's an English show and very highly regarded it seems. I'm on episode 4 now and I love it. I'm trying to figure out if there's anything that feels remotely similar to it. In style more so than content. The only thing that comes to my mind is Serial Experiments Lain.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Van Dammage on June 19, 2016, 03:12:50 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhh "I as in Icarus" is the absolute bollocks as far as I'm concerned and if you liked the conversation I'd say its well worth a look.

Been on my watchlist for fucking years, could never find a copy.

Steven

Quote from: Van Dammage on June 19, 2016, 03:07:39 PM
Has anyone seen Utopia? I assume a few have because it's an English show and very highly regarded it seems. I'm on episode 4 now and I love it. I'm trying to figure out if there's anything that feels remotely similar to it. In style more so than content. The only thing that comes to my mind is Serial Experiments Lain.

Yes. That Humans Ch4 show about the conspiracies and the robots?

Van Dammage

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on June 19, 2016, 03:38:13 PM
Been on my watchlist for fucking years, could never find a copy.

Sent a pm there. If anyone else wants a link just ask.

Quote from: Steven on June 19, 2016, 03:49:57 PM
Yes. That Humans Ch4 show about the conspiracies and the robots?

Never heard of it but i see Neil Maskell makes an appearance so I'm gonna track it down.

Pepotamo1985

Neil Maskell is great. Shame he's getting into the game proper so late. He doesn't have much range but he's fucking good at what he can do.