Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,363
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:16:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Conjuring 2

Started by monolith, June 14, 2016, 10:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monolith

So I haven't really been a fan of horror films for years, I'm not big on gore and the recent trend of gore fests put me off so I haven't been to the cinema in years to see a horror film.

My sister loves them though and she has been having a bit of a hard time recently so is visiting for a few days and wanted to go see The Conjuring 2.

I was surprised in that I enjoyed it, there were a few cheap tricks and the accents were a bit dodgy but the story kept me interested and I liked the little twist.

As there's no thread for it and as this is the movie forum and as I've just seen the movie I'm starting a thread for the movie in the movie forum to talk about the movie which I just saw which I thought was alright.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts? I hadn't seen the first one but we watched that today and I think I prefer the second one although perhaps the big screen made me enjoy it more.

SteveDave

A remote control TV in mid-70s Enfield? Owned by a family who can't afford biscuits? With a sitcom on in the weekday daytime?

This film is bullshit.

SteveDave

Also it's got some weird music choices. It's set in 1977 & starts with London Calling by The Clash. The rest is mid to late 60s pop music.

I fell asleep for about 20 minutes though so I might've missed some that made sense.

monolith

I fell asleep a bit at the beginning too, apparently at a really scary bit where
Spoiler alert
an old man shouts "this is my house" or some shit.
[close]

Steven

Quote from: monolith on June 16, 2016, 01:23:51 PM
I fell asleep a bit at the beginning too, apparently at a really scary bit where
Spoiler alert
an old man shouts "this is my house" or some shit.
[close]

Fucking petrifying!

Mini

Ooh another James Wan film about some things in a house for 2 hours based on a fake true story? Actually I've got quite a big pile of ironing to be getting on with...

BritishHobo

I don't really get The Conjuring. Everyone seemed to think the first one was a huge breath of fresh air for horror, but I didn't find it did anything that Insidious and the like didn't do.

Seen a lot of people praise the Warren as layered, loveable protagonists which is funny, as they're a pair of duplicitous, fame-hungry arseholes. Felt bad for their daughter in the first film. Rewatch it, but with the mindset that 'ghosts aren't real', and you'll see what I mean. Dunno why these cunts are getting a second wind as heroic protagonists.

Hollow

Yes I must echo the few that couldn't give a toss about this, the first was okay I supose, can't watch a sequel.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 16, 2016, 06:03:38 PM
I don't really get The Conjuring. Everyone seemed to think the first one was a huge breath of fresh air for horror, but I didn't find it did anything that Insidious and the like didn't do.

Seen a lot of people praise the Warren as layered, loveable protagonists which is funny, as they're a pair of duplicitous, fame-hungry arseholes. Felt bad for their daughter in the first film. Rewatch it, but with the mindset that 'ghosts aren't real', and you'll see what I mean. Dunno why these cunts are getting a second wind as heroic protagonists.

Yep, exactly.  I'd be less frustrated with the success of The Conjuring(s) if it weren't lining the pockets of the remaining member of a pair of positively evil cunts (their "investigations" have caused deaths - not by possession or anything, but by convincing people who needed medical attention not to seek it), not to mention furthermore propagating the notion that any of this stuff is even remotely factual.  You'd think once the Amityville haunting was publicly revealed to be a hoax that'd be the end of them, but no.

I think what annoyed me most about The Conjuring was that, despite being touted as "the case file they'd kept secret for so long because it was so super scary the public couldn't handle it!", it was pretty much exactly the same story as Amityville.  Like if you're going to attempt to cash in 40 years later, at least put some effort in to make it fresh rather than just changing some words in your Amityville manuscript, you mad old lying cunt.

But yeah, shit for cunts, James Wan is a shit director with absolutely fuckall taste, and the fact that they've tried to tackle as interesting and nuanced a case as the Enfield Poltergeist with (no doubt) rubbish CGI demons jumping all over the shop is laughable.  Then again, the recent TV miniseries about the case was quite rubbish as well as far as the horror elements went.

But I'll be watching, of course, because it seems there'll likely be no shortage of cunts going on about it and I would love to tell them why they're wrong and cunts who like shit by bad horror men.

BritishHobo

I also like that they've managed to wring two spin-off films out of what was essentially someone telling the Warrens 'I've got a haunted Raggedy Ann doll' and the Warrens going 'oh give it here, we'll put it in our shit museum'.

Mini

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 16, 2016, 07:13:18 PM
But yeah, shit for cunts, James Wan is a shit director with absolutely fuckall taste.

When he announced he was giving up making scary movies a few years back my first reaction was "I thought you gave up after Saw."

BritishHobo

This has already earned itself a spin-off, about a scary nun, called The Scary Nun.

Is this the first time a sequel to a film with a spin-off has spawned a spin-off?

Sgt. Duckie

Fuck it I'm going to see this today as a last resort.

Playing at the odeon:

Conjuring 2
Alice through the looking glass
TMNT 2
Me before her
X Men apocalypse
The Nice Guys - seen it
Gods of Egypt
Mothers Day
Warcraft

What choice have I got amongst that pile :-( Conjuring 2 and the scary nun it is, unless x men is worth seeing?

BritishHobo

Wow, that is certainly a grim line-up. In fact you've actually convinced me to go and see The Nice Guys, if only to contribute to the only film worth watching.

Mini

I haven't seen either but I'd opt for Gods of Egypt over The Conjuring 2, just because funny crap is preferable to boring crap.

Glebe

65-year old man passes away while watching 'Conjuring 2' in Tamil Nadu.

Possibly sensationalist nonsense, I mean at that age in particular you're prone to such things.

Shaky

Quote from: Glebe on June 18, 2016, 06:46:14 PM

Possibly sensationalist nonsense, I mean at that age in particular you're prone to such things.

Nothing to do with all the popcorn, sweets and soft drinks he'd been stuffing into himself for 50+ years.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteOoh another James Wan film about some things in a house for 2 hours based on a fake true story? Actually I've got quite a big pile of ironing to be getting on with...

Also there's this really really scary doll and somebody does a jump scare.

Sam

I watched the first one and it were SHITE. Just a load of badly done cliches. Not scary in the slightest due to being so predicable. I also hated all the characters, especially the investigator cunts. I'm genuinely saddened that it's held up to be an example of a half decent horror film by the public.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Sam on June 19, 2016, 09:34:30 AM
I watched the first one and it were SHITE. Just a load of badly done cliches. Not scary in the slightest due to being so predicable. I also hated all the characters, especially the investigator cunts. I'm genuinely saddened that it's held up to be an example of a half decent horror film by the public.

Not only the public, actual "real horror fans" too.  The mind boggles.  See also the Harry Potter remake of The Woman In Black.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Glebe on June 18, 2016, 06:46:14 PM

Absolutely bizarre. Why wasn't he at the kabbadi?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sam on June 19, 2016, 09:34:30 AM

I watched the first one yesterday due to the hype and yeah, fucking awful. Apparently it was R rated because the whole thing was so disturbing, and there was nothing the censors could suggest to cut as it was the tone of the movie that upset them so much, which is the only thing I found funny about the whole thing as it's one of the least scary films I've ever seen.

Pit-Pat

Eh, I quite enjoyed both of them to be honest. Clearly the first two thirds of each (when it was all about what scary jumpy thing was going to happen next) were more fun than the overblown endings but they worked for me.

The most fun I've had watching a horror film in the cinema is still Drag Me to Hell, which I understand people have quite mixed feelings about. I still love it, by the way.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Pit-Pat on June 21, 2016, 09:44:12 AM
Eh, I quite enjoyed both of them to be honest. Clearly the first two thirds of each (when it was all about what scary jumpy thing was going to happen next) were more fun than the overblown endings but they worked for me.

The most fun I've had watching a horror film in the cinema is still Drag Me to Hell, which I understand people have quite mixed feelings about. I still love it, by the way.

I don't mind Drag Me To Hell at all; nothing remarkable, but a decent fun horror film.  The problem is that a lot of other horror films are just as goofy, but played out with po-faced sincerity, and treated as such by their fans.

Case in point, this actual scene from The Conjuring:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v-WwcPCIdg.

Mini

Yep, one of the worst things about The Conjuring and its ilk is the misguided idea that horror films shouldn't be funny. Drag Me To Hell is a great example of a comedy-horror film, because Sam Raimi understands how to walk that line.

Pit-Pat

I don't know, I found a humour in the po-faced sincerity of the Warrens and their absurdly rosy lives when they were not being terrorised by ghosts.

I agree that they're not amazing films but I found them more enjoyable than a lot of the mass-produced horror films that get churned out.

holyzombiejesus

I watched this last night and burst out laughing when the dog turned in to a scary cartoon man. Shit. Oh yeah, worst stuttering by an a a a actor I have ever seen on film.

Lt Plonker

Hollow

I watched this despite saying I wasn't going to and I'm so glad I did, as I've seen the very spluttering death of the ghost fad that's had the horror film market in a mire for the last five years...no one can make another one of these 'Christians to the rescue' abortions again now, It's been done now.

One of the worst 'horror' films I've ever seen, pure tripe, I longed for the end...and when it came I was glad.

Mini

Quote from: Hollow on June 28, 2016, 11:05:56 PM
no one can make another one of these 'Christians to the rescue' abortions again now, It's been done now.

They can when they take $240m