Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 7

Started by Entropy Balsmalch, June 18, 2016, 12:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Entropy Balsmalch

Fortunately, I give zero shits about stories or characters, so that leaves it just having to be a good game.

Van Dammage

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 10, 2016, 08:01:42 PM
Don't agree with this. The pace is much faster, certainly, but there are a lot of elements from the previous games. It's like the difference between Alien and Aliens. Different, but both good.

For me it just lacked any trace of horror. Except maybe a small bit when the chainsaw lad turned up.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Van Dammage on July 11, 2016, 01:35:45 AM
For me it just lacked any trace of horror. Except maybe a small bit when the chainsaw lad turned up.

Fair enough. Personally my favourite is the remake of the first game, but I don't have a problem with them switching it up and making a more action focused game like 4. Especially as it was very well done (apart from the plot stuff which was risible).

Hollow

I really don't like the look of this game...I wish I did, it just looks like a thousand indie walking games...where's the originality capcom?

Resident Evil the name means next to nothing now in terms of videogames, it's just a selling point.

Obviously some version of the original is the best, I like remake, but i don't get the same atmosphere from it I do vanilla, I just don't...brilliant in all regards don't get me wrong...it's just not as raw as the ugly yet beautiful ps1 original.

Five is being mentioned so I better drop my two pee on that too...I'd love to say I hate it and it's not scary like it should be...but I'm playing it again on the PS4 now and it's a great game whatever it is...very visceral and tense in the combat.

Six is boring shit though that's confirmed...Leons' bit...fine...the rest can do one.

Hollow

Sheva is still a stupid bitch though...fuck her.

hedgehog90

Chris!
Sheva!
I'm coming!
Hold on!
Roger!
etc.

Literally hours of fun to be had just by repeatedly pressing a single button.

Thursday

Yeah but what about when they gave her a sexy "traditional" and not at all racist alternative costume eh lads.

Thursday

I loved that suit of armour for ashley so that she became too heavy for enemies to carry. And they bothered to do all these animations and sound effects for it and for Leon grabbing his back after catching her.

Quote from: Hollow on July 11, 2016, 03:37:55 PM
Sheva is still a stupid bitch though...fuck her.

Arrrrgh...I long for a day I don't have to be confronted with myself on here.

Please bury me.

biggytitbo

brat-sampson

New Trailer

This is definitely something different. A bit too much 'It's coming right for us!' 3D cinema-style BS for the VR users benefit IMO, but otherwise, disturbing and gritty. Plus, there's like, a gun, so shut up, ok?

Dannyhood91

The only thing scary about that were the atrocious table manners.

AsparagusTrevor

I haven't tried it myself yet but apparently the demo has been updated to include new content.

Thursday

Quote from: brat-sampson on September 16, 2016, 01:51:44 PM
New Trailer

This is definitely something different. A bit too much 'It's coming right for us!' 3D cinema-style BS for the VR users benefit IMO, but otherwise, disturbing and gritty. Plus, there's like, a gun, so shut up, ok?

Really quite unsettling in a way I don't associate with Resident Evil. I'm all for it, I can see the "Why not start a new IP if it's so different" argument.  But also think "shut up, it's changed drastically before, it can change drastically again."

Osmium

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 16, 2016, 03:00:02 PM
I haven't tried it myself yet but apparently the demo has been updated to include new content.

I wonder if they've added gameplay?

Brundle-Fly

It looks right up my street. Just need to buy an X Box One console.

Sad blood soaked emoji

Bazooka

I just want to mix some herbs.

Thursday

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 16, 2016, 08:45:21 PM
It looks right up my street. Just need to buy an X Box One console.

Sad blood soaked emoji

No no, it's alright you can get it's on PC and PS4!!!

Rev

Quote from: Thursday on September 16, 2016, 05:59:08 PM
Really quite unsettling in a way I don't associate with Resident Evil. I'm all for it, I can see the "Why not start a new IP if it's so different" argument.  But also think "shut up, it's changed drastically before, it can change drastically again."

We've not actually seen any proper gameplay yet either, as the demo was its own thing and what's in that trailer is one of the interactive tapes.  We know that green herbs and all that business figure, so I suspect that the marketing is concentrating on the more different elements.  It may turn out to more of a traditional Resi game than we suspect.

I dunno, I've played the demo again to see the new stuff, what was meant to be new? Wasn't that what happened before?

It still just looks a lot like Outlast to me...the finished game may well be nothing like that but at the moment...Outlast.

Thursday

There's not much new but new things as far as I can tell

Spoiler alert

Portrait of the Bakers at the beginning.
A moan from behind the burnt door
The attic room has extended with various things in there
something you can use the finger on (although it's still useless)
New phone call
[close]

Must admit I was expecting a bit more than that, it's weird that they've done this really. But maybe they'll be a 3rd a final part to it just before the game released.

It may turn out to more of a traditional Resi game than we suspect.

True but it does still seem tonally very different, and I'm sure there's going to be a much higher focus on melee combat.

brat-sampson

It depends how you define traditional too, there's a fairly large gap in style/approach between say REmake and 6, or Revelations which might fall in the middle. This is definitely another branch, but whatever similarities and differences it has with any other game in the franchise, I guess we have to wait and see.

Rev

Closer to the first games than the later ones, was what I meant there.  We know there's combat but I can't see it being full-out action in the style of 4 and onwards.  Could be a return to the old 'that fucker's slow and it'll take 4 bullets, I'll just go around' approach.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Thursday on September 17, 2016, 09:20:56 AMMust admit I was expecting a bit more than that, it's weird that they've done this really. But maybe they'll be a 3rd a final part to it just before the game released.

The PS4's demo has been updated with extra content again, and also VR support which I tried yesterday and just about managed to keep my stomach contents from exiting either end.

I didn't really play the demo thoroughly before the update so I can't say what's been added content-wise, but I've heard it features some
Spoiler alert
combat
[close]
if you manage to get to a certain part, which I didn't.

brat-sampson

Out the morra, with reviews just published and generally very well received (couple of expected outliers). I'd be more tempted by this if I wasn't a big ol' scaredy pants, but for those into it, looks good!

Thursday

Played an hour, and it's good.

(I assume Ethan is the antagonist, breaking into someone's home and then refusing to eat the meal they cook for him. Rude!)

Thursday

Really enjoying this, although some of the "boss" encounters go on so long that I keep thinking I must be missing some other puzzle aspect to the fight when there isn't really.