Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:33:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 7

Started by Entropy Balsmalch, June 18, 2016, 12:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moribunderast

I'm also having a great time with this. Very rare for me to buy a AAA game first-day as the fear of bugs, glitches, general poor performance and straight-up disappointment with gameplay is usually a hurdle too high. All the pre-release word and my general love for golden era Resident Evil games caused me to splurge on this and thus far the decision is paying off. Love the atmosphere - proper grimy and ugly. The game is tense as fuck - forcing me to play in shorter bursts, much like I had to with Outlast. There's already been a number of moments where I've audibly shouted or said things like "No.... no.... nonononono!" while something unfolds before me.

Fans who were concerned that the change to first-person view would result in it not feeling like a Resident Evil game needn't have worried. There's lots of familiar RE-isms and they've returned to the true root of the series for me - setting. I'm getting flashbacks to the first RE game as I slowly explore the Baker residence, full of locked doors and hidden hallways and paths that gradually give way to further exploration. Jim Sterling once did an episode of his show about the iconic RE mansion - this game has a similar vibe, where the house just gets bigger and bigger as you discover various avenues but it's so well laid out and memorable that I could already probably draw a full map of it from memory.

The story is fun, mostly owing to the Baker family and the combat seems a nice mix between Outlast/Amnesia style running and hiding and older RE-style shooting with limited ammo and ominous enemies. I love that feeling of having to quickly surmise whether it's best to kill/shoot something or let it wander around and bank on being able to avoid it. Fucking relieved the safe rooms are more forgiving than in the past, too.

Still a lot of water to go under the bridge - I have no idea what % of the game I'm through (have played about 3 hours) but thus far it's a complete triumph. Hopefully it sells well so Capcom will allow the series to continue in this vein.

Repeater

This isn't available on the PS3 is it?

Bazooka

biggytitbo

Quote from: Bazooka on January 26, 2017, 10:10:51 AM
Unfortunately not.

What about the PS2?

From what I've seen of this its become so photorealistic that bludgeoning a photoreal girl to death with an axe is not fun, its horrible and must have the effect of desensitizing people to extreme violence?

Kelvin

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 26, 2017, 03:31:13 PM
From what I've seen of this its become so photorealistic that bludgeoning a photoreal girl to death with an axe is not fun, its horrible and must have the effect of desensitizing people to extreme violence?

It would be better if Mario was doing it, certainly.

Thursday

Still having a great time with this, but I think realising the game autosaves quite a lot and being able to quickly retry has taken some of the tension away for me. I'm glad to have that convenience, but they may have been slightly too generous with it, because if I'm wasteful of ammo or get hit cheaply, then I'll often think "nah I'll try that again"

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 26, 2017, 03:31:13 PMFrom what I've seen of this its become so photorealistic that bludgeoning a photoreal girl to death with an axe is not fun, its horrible and must have the effect of desensitizing people to extreme violence?

Yeah, it's brill.

Moribunderast

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 26, 2017, 03:31:13 PM
What about the PS2?

I ran over a LOT of people in GTA games and yet when I saw a person get run over by a car I let out an involuntary scream and then vomited after they'd died. In RE7 they look more realistic but I assume I'd have the same reaction if I actually had to hack a person to death. I don't buy the "desensitisation" argument for a second. Fake violence never prepares you for the real thing.

Thursday

Finished it, playtime of about 9 and a half hours. I agree with all the reviews saying the last part of the game loses it a bit, and playing on normal I found myself with a bounty of spare health and ammo by the end, but even then it can still be fun it's own way. Not quite in the same league as 4 or REmake, but I'd possibly put it 3rd. There's a couple of "walk through some story" bits that might not be as much fun to replay though.

It's interesting how much it echoes the first game, there's puzzles that are directly lifted, like the shotgun one for instance, but there's a lot about it's structure that feels similar to me as well. Definitely feels like a reboot for the series, although I don't know what they'd do with 8, however far off that might be, seems they're planning a lot of DLC for this one

brat-sampson

I think things like the shotgun are clearly a reference to the original. It's enough to be a reminder of a classic puzzle which was never exactly difficult so doesn't ruin anything here. I've seen a couple of other moments like that too already. I've played far from all the Resident Evils, had a few cracks at REmake and finished and remember really enjoying 4 back in the day. I played 5 as well but it got pretty repetitive about half way through. Run, turn shoot, run turn shoot, get annoyed with partner and inventory fiddling all the time etc. This definitely harkens back to the earlier days with magic boxes, safe rooms, puzzles to be solved by turning things or putting things in other things, enemies you can choose to kite instead of clearing out and you're rarely overwhelmed by numbers, instead just having to deal with what's there in whatever way you see fit. Sometimes the first person controls are a bit fiddly, which is weird considering I'm playing on PC, but the Bakers are a fantastic bunch of weird murdery terrifying lads and the house feels nicely decrepit yet lived in, like those programs about hoarders if the hoarders were mostly hoarding meat and bizarre equipment.

I feel like I'm very likely to finish it, which is pretty high praise for a single-player game these days, sadly. EDIT: Not to mention, it's still incredible to me on one level that that trailer we saw at E3 last year, and this game that came out of it, is Resident Evil, a franchise I'd basically ignored for the last 10+ years.

Splendid stuff so far...keeps making me say 'this is awesome' so it must be good.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 27, 2017, 04:07:37 PM
I ran over a LOT of people in GTA games and yet when I saw a person get run over by a car I let out an involuntary scream and then vomited after they'd died.

Fair play to you for giving the real thing a go at least.  Hope getting the dent fixed and repainted wasn't too expensive afterwards.

Moribunderast

Quote from: ASFTSN on February 02, 2017, 11:14:53 AM
Fair play to you for giving the real thing a go at least.  Hope getting the dent fixed and repainted wasn't too expensive afterwards.

What's lost financially is gained threefold in life experience, as I imagine someone's grandad once said.

Took a couple days off RE7 as I wasn't in the mood. Came back to it today and beat that fucken
Spoiler alert
Marguerite boss. The amount of bullets she soaks up and lack of visual feedback make it quite difficult to tell if you're doing the right thing. I understand now why that's a common complaint. Finally killed the fucker but had to use every last bit of shotgun, pistol and flame ammo I had. Hope this isn't a Code Veronica X situation where I get further into the game and can't progress because I don't have enough ammo.
[close]
Still loving the atmosphere and characters, though - and the layout of the house/s. It just feels fun (and tense) to explore the ever-expanding surrounds. Upcoming horror efforts Outlast II and Agony have had the gauntlet thrown down to them now.

brat-sampson

Finished it. Timer says about 8.5 hours. I really appreciate shorter tighter games like this though. No section went on too long or outstayed its welcome, though as mentioned some of the bosses felt annoyingly resistant to damage. You start to wonder if you're even doing it right but then eventually, they die. The rest of the game wasn't to tough overall though once I stopped being stupid. Fuck ever playing this in VR but I'm desensitised to the point it was ok for me regular. These thoughts are all a little jumbled I guess. There were a couple of clever tricks I enjoyed where it baits you into doing things or dares you to second-guess yourself or call a bluff, which I enjoyed.

Easily the best RE-titled thing since 4. It wus gud.

ziggy starbucks

watching this on youtube is making me feel sick. Must be the narrow field of view or camera shake. The game in VR must be truly vomit inducing.

no thanks

Oh man, I got stuck on a boss, killed me again and again, I was sure there wasn't anymore healing items in the house but I went and looked anyway...found some and then marched back shouting 'You're fucking dead now, do you hear me? Do you?'.

Killed him, it felt wonderful, welcome back Resi.

madhair60

Finished this now. It's very good.

Moribunderast

Bazooka

I know there are a few millionaires(wont mention names) lurking on this forum, who fancies buying me a PS4 so I can actually play it?

Swoz_MK

Nearing the end of my second playthrough, it really is quite something. The last section before the final boss really reminds me of RE4 and the
Spoiler alert
ship
[close]
area that precedes it really reminds me of Code Veronica.

TheWoodenSpoon

RE7 is a good game, much better than I was expecting.

All this talk of RE4 however forces me to announce that I think it's a fine game in itself and all that but also one which has aged pretty horribly in a few ways. And it's unbelievably, incredibly overrated.

Hank Venture

Resident Evil 4 rules. Playing the ported version on PS4 right now.

Anybody got a link to a decent walkthrough/Let's Play of this? It looks too scary for me to play myself. Optimally a series with commentary (but no histrionic pricks a la whatshisname, pewdipie) and someone who actually knows a bit about the series, who aren't playing it through for the first time, who talks a bit about easter eggs and stuff like that.

Shay Chaise

I've completed RE4 a good half dozen times, if not more, but I recently got the PS4 port and found it unplayable. I think I was probably spoiled by the superior Wii controls but it feels very confusing and archaic now, same as Goldeneye did when I played it recently. Made me feel like I have Alzheimer's.

The Witness did too, and Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Maybe I have Alzheimer's.

Bazooka

Quote from: Hank Venture on May 08, 2017, 10:26:37 AM
Resident Evil 4 rules. Playing the ported version on PS4 right now.

Anybody got a link to a decent walkthrough/Let's Play of this? It looks too scary for me to play myself. Optimally a series with commentary (but no histrionic pricks a la whatshisname, pewdipie) and someone who actually knows a bit about the series, who aren't playing it through for the first time, who talks a bit about easter eggs and stuff like that.

Mate go for it, it's a real treat of a game the most nervous section is when you come up against a certain enemy that won't attack until you hit a switch. RE 4's biggest weakness is the story, yes even for this series it gets really embarrassing when you reach the second half/disc 2 but the game play remains fantastic. Don't spoil it with a lets play video.

Also don't shoot the water at a certain section.

Hank Venture

No, I know Resident Evil 4 is great. I meant a Let's Play for Resident Evil 7. That looks too scary for me.

Mister Six

Not much excitement for this on here, and I can see why. Plodded through the on-rails bit at the start, quite enjoyed the tension in the chainsaw fight (and getting my arm cut off! Fuck!) and the subsequent scampering about the house. But too often the implausibly shitty torch and twisty corridors leave me blundering into walls in a way that feels contrived and inorganic. I spend more time battling the mechanics than the monsters, and it's really making the game a chore.

Last bit I got to, I was being funnelled into a corridor fight with one of those bog slimy oil blobs. Tried doubling back to a previous room that would allow me to trap him behind a sofa and get past but that was so laborious I just shot him a load. Then there were two more of the cunts, so I just sighed, turned it off and played Witcher 3 instead.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mister Six on May 08, 2017, 10:22:06 PM
Not much excitement for this on here, and I can see why.
In my case it's because I'm to poor to buy games at full price. Plus, I got Dishonored 2 for Christmas and was recently given Dying Light as a surprise gift (which I've been too busy to play yet), so I could do with a bit of a change from first person games. I think my next purchase will be Horizon Zero Dawn.

Rev

There was plenty of excitement, but as good as it is it's the kind of thing that people finish and move on from.

Quote from: Mister Six on May 08, 2017, 10:22:06 PM
Last bit I got to, I was being funnelled into a corridor fight with one of those bog slimy oil blobs. Tried doubling back to a previous room that would allow me to trap him behind a sofa and get past but that was so laborious I just shot him a load.

You're doing it wrong!  The daft bastards can't open doors, and most of the areas are designed so that you've another exit once you've slammed a door in their gloopy face.  I think there's only one occasion in which you really have to fight one of them (
Spoiler alert
the morgue
[close]
).  Just run on and remember to close doors behind you.

AsparagusTrevor

I played the whole game in VR and then started a non-VR game on Madhouse difficulty. The VR makes aiming with guns so, so much easier that I struggled shooting without it. I loved the VR playthough, it was such a brilliant experience and I only soiled myself five times.

In my playthrough I killed plenty of Molded and still had enough ammo left over for the bosses. I was actually surprised at the generosity of the ammo and materials to craft ammo.

Bhazor

Got this in the Greenman sale last week and I really enjoyed it. Notably it the first modern first person horror game (aka post Amnesia) I've actually enjoyed. Usually I get horribly frustrated in games like Outlast where you have no choice but to die and retry until you find the exact right path through the level. But when you have the option to actually stand and fight that frustration is gone. If I die it was because I did something stupid like I missed a shot, wasted my ammo in an earlier fight or maybe I shouldn't have fought him at all. If I die I know I can try something different or backtrack and look for some ammo or herbs or just fucking shoot the cunt. I can see people being frustrated that the game abandons the Texas Chainsaw/Hills Have Eyes aspect but I personally really enjoyed the way it came back to good old Resi territory. Complete with weird puzzles and ridiculous glowing weak point bosses.

Oh and fuck that level full of flies. Infuriating.

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on May 09, 2017, 01:08:01 PM
In my playthrough I killed plenty of Molded and still had enough ammo left over for the bosses. I was actually surprised at the generosity of the ammo and materials to craft ammo.

I played the old Silent Hill games for the first time about three years and I was shocked by how much ammo I had. I killed every single enemy in Silent Hill 3 and at the end of the game I still had dozens and dozens of bullets left over not to mention a massive warhammer that killed the final boss in three hits. I think people over exaggerate how scarce weapons were in the classic survival horror games.